We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Octopus Agile

1…397398399400401403»

Comments

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,872 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 September at 10:36PM

    I find the average unit rate on Agile as somewhat of a misnomer, as when the rate is very low or negative, I use electricity I would not have otherwise used, and that has the effect of lowering the average unit rate so it seems cheaper than a comparative tariff may be.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    On checking my last bill it says my average unit rate per kilowatt-hour is 27.58p/kWh, which seems high to me when I see what others quote, but I don't have a battery so maybe that is why. For some reason my last bill has 2 different parts for electric 2Aug-6Aug 22.3kwh (average rate 25.02p), but it also says your average electricity usage during this bill period was 4.58 kWh/day one the second part I used 119 kwh in 7Aug-1Sept. I made £31.96 with exporting 266.4kwh out of approx 397kwh generated.

    I seem to struggle when we get the negative prices as the sun always seems to shine so clearly I don't save that much with the negative prices unless the weather is bad. I still have 2 hrs of happy hours to take as I keep putting off taking as the weather nice and I don't always manage to save power in the saving hours average of 0.20kwh, but half say I saved nothing, probably because I usually avoid using 6pm-7pm due to the price.

    I was interested in a battery but was told what it would save me I would never make back as it would take me so long on my usage so not cost effective.

    Doesn't help DS seems to use a lot on his days off and I don't feel I can tell him not to use as he pays his share of the bills.

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,872 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    @akh43 wrote:

    I seem to struggle when we get the negative prices as the sun always seems to shine so clearly I don't save that much with the negative prices unless the weather is bad. I still have 2 hrs of happy hours to take as I keep putting off taking as the weather nice and I don't always manage to save power in the saving hours average of 0.20kwh, but half say I saved nothing, probably because I usually avoid using 6pm-7pm due to the price.

    If the prices are negative, you can turn your solar off (just turn the panels off at the black DC isolator) so you pull from the grid. Then use as much electricity as you are (safely) able.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I didn't know that, I assumed if I turned the isolator off I would still be using the solar generated as default so never tried. What happens to the solar generating at that time? I have only had solar just over a year so still learning how it all works.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,792 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    What happens to the solar generating at that time?

    Any solar electricity that would potentially have been generated during that period, isn't generated. It never exists.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,779 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    But you may well earn more for export than for negative import - so only turn off the solar if the negative import will earn you more. I rarely do well out of negative days in the summer as I'm generating up to 9kW and can't use it all. But the winter is a different matter entirely.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.