HSBC has frozen all my accounts - high earner left penniless

Options
ent_moot
ent_moot Posts: 94 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 March 2023 at 9:10PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hello,

I'm into day two of HSBC freezing my current and savings accounts, blocking access to more than £50k of my salary.

My bills (all direct debit) have started bouncing, and I'm not able to pay for groceries (including my last Ocado order, which has already arrived). 

What's worse is that they cannot even give me a timeline for resolving the issue! 

My guess is that my account has triggered some sort of defective fraud detection algorithm, and I'm stuck behind a backlog of cases, waiting for a human to look at it.

This is exacerbated by the fact that I don't use credit cards (I consider the credit industry to be exploitative), and I don't have other bank accounts apart from Monzo that I use for "lunch money". 

Here are the fuller details:
  • I have been a customer with HSBC for about 25 years
  • I have been employed by the SAME employer for my entire career (14 years)
  • All incoming money to these accounts has been either my salary, bonuses, or share options, all from the SAME employer that is a large company and household name
It literally could not be easier for the bank to validate that the account has not been used for fraudulent activity.

The ONLY unusual events / characteristics of my accounts are:
  • we bought two pedigree kittens a few weeks ago, and paid £1400  (£400 in cash as a deposit, and then £1000 by personal bank transfer)
  • the fact that I'm a very high earner who tends to save more than most people
Even a cursory two minute look at my case would make it abundantly clear that I am not a fraudster. The fact that I can't even be given a timeline for when this will be addressed is completely ridiculous! 

I'm utterly and completely shocked that a bank can simply freeze an individuals bank account without warning, particularly when even a two minute look would make it clear that there is nothing unusual about the account. The stress, disruption and anxiety this has caused for me and my family is extreme. I honestly feel violated.

Actions so far:
  • I've raised an official complaint, but had only an automated response. 
  • I've called the call-center and escalated to the manager: they say that it is entirely out of their hands, and is with a back-office team, and it's impossible for them to give a timeline for resolution
  • I've posted a complaint on twitter, and been told that I should raise a complaint
It's like turning off someone's oxygen supply and then saying "sorry, we can't tell you when we'll turn it back on".

Astonishing. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

[Update - 06/03/2023]

My accounts have now been frozen for one whole week (I discovered that my account was actually frozen on the 27th - earlier than I first thought). I have so far had zero response from HSBC - all I have received are automated responses. I have had warnings from:
  • Council
  • Amazon prime
  • Ocado
For not receiving my regular direct debit payments. I expect a cascade of additional complaints from my utility providers.

Additional actions:
  • I have opened a new bank account with Lloyds, and will be attempting to update all direct debits to this.
  • I have booked an appointment at a local branch. The earliest they could do was Wednesday

[Update - 08/03/2023]

• My accounts were unfrozen this morning (a little over a week after they were frozen)! 
  • I visited my local branch. The chap there did his best to investigate; however, the usual leads (where departments are required to leave a memo when an account has been inhibited) were left blank. He said there are two departments that are not required to leave such a memo: the fraud department, and the regulatory department. He said that it was more likely to be the latter, as "statutory UK regulatory requirement" (or whatever the original note was) seemed to hint in this direction
  • He seemed to think it was unlikely a result of paying for the kittens
  • He couldn't see anything unusual about my account
  • He said I'm likely to get compensation, but no explanation.

It looks like a foul-up, or a faulty system that has been handled extremely poorly. I don't have high hopes for the complaint leading to genuine explanation. As a loyal customer of HSBC for 25 years, my opinion of the them has gone from "good" to "shockingly bad". If, like me, you bank solely with HSBC, I strongly recommend you reconsider.  

I'm not sure if our kittens have been vindicated yet, but maybe another picture of them can help us all feel a bit better :

Comments

• MikeyPGT
    MikeyPGT Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Too late for the OP, but shows the wisdom of having a back-up bank account/credit card in case of emergency - the old tale of not having all your eggs in one basket!
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 March 2026 

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.
  • ent_moot
    Options
    Yes, too much faith in HSBC has certainly been a big mistake. 

I suppose I better get on with opening a new bank account elsewhere and changing where my salary is paid.

• saveallmymoney
    Options
    There are some credit cards who will give you the card number instantly, i think Amex for one. If you get one of those then you've got 30 days to get HSBC back in line and pay the balance without any charges.
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ent_moot said:
    Yes, too much faith in HSBC has certainly been a big mistake. 

I suppose I better get on with opening a new bank account elsewhere and changing where my salary is paid.

The problem is banks are damned if they do damned if they don’t. It’s a bad situation to be in, and hopefully will be resolved sooner, and in a way why people suggest not locking up all funds in one bank but even still..

Somethings triggered the fraud alert and they have to investigate. They won’t talk to you most likely as a result until they’ve finished their investigation.

Complaining might not get you anywhere as they are actively investigating potential fraud or crime which is their duty both I think as a bank in the U.K. and the customer.

if the shoe was on the other foot and you were a victim of fraud you’d be demanding something like this happening to the person involved..

This isn’t a HSBC thing there’s countless incidents of other banks doing these checks, really all you can do is wait it out unfortunately.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP:

was there any dispute around the purchase of those kitten? Was the seller a breeder business or just a private having a one off litter? 

Of the info you have presented this particular transaction may have been the cause of a claim from the other party that something was wrong or that particular account /person has been himself the subject of an investigation (think money laundering or similar).

aside of that, did you do any large cash withdrawal or cash deposit?

finally, on changing banks, I am not sure you will be safe as many reports in these boards over the years have shown that all banking groups for all type of customers have occasionally suspended an account for fraud investigation. 
  • ent_moot
    Options
    OP:

was there any dispute around the purchase of those kitten? Was the seller a breeder business or just a private having a one off litter? 

Of the info you have presented this particular transaction may have been the cause of a claim from the other party that something was wrong or that particular account /person has been himself the subject of an investigation (think money laundering or similar).

finally, on changing banks, I am not sure you will be safe as many reports in these boards over the years have shown that all banking groups for all type of customers have occasionally suspended an account for fraud investigation. 

Just a family selling kittens. They seemed like a nice enough family, and we are delighted with the kittens. I was planning to pay in cash, but unfortunately forget to draw sufficient cash (£500 cap per day or whatever), so went with a bank transfer.

>

Nothing other than the £400 for the kitten deposit. 

I've often had my cards cancelled, which is fine. I didn't realise that freezing bank accounts like this was a thing.

I will be much more cautious in future. 

Thanks for the advice.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There may be a problem with  the other person's  account which caused your account to be frozen as you had sent money to it.

• trient
    trient Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For what it's worth I suggest filing a complaint through Resolver.co.uk. In my limited experience every single complaint I eventually sent through them was actioned much quicker than those (initially) sent direct, even after multiple escalations.

One other thing you can try is writing the CEO office, there should be an executive support team there that handles cases with a proper human touch. It worked well for me with Barclays.

Lastly, as a very high earner do you have any special status (Premier/Jade etc)? Do you not have access to a premier relationship manager that could help expedite the  investigation? Long shot but worth trying.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback