PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your oldest item of clothing?

Comments

• I still have my honeymoon night stuff and it does just fit. That's nearly 20 years of use. How much of this very old clothing came from Marks and Spencer?
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    An oiled wool roll neck fishermans jersey my mother knitted in 1968 and a pair of Trickers high leg brogue boots bought 30 years ago and still going strong after about 6 pairs of commando soles.

shammy
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a pair of Nike trainers that are 10 years old. They look a bit battered but are still holding together. When I first had them I wore them practically constantly - just for the garden now tho ;)

My mother gave me a couple of maternity things from 1984. My girls also have a couple of dresses that were mine and my sister's - clothes seem to have been higher quality then as there isn't a loose stitch or anything on them.

I also have a vintage 70's 2-piece which I bought a few years back, as well as a gorgeous flowery smock from the early 70s a friend gave to me when she was clearing out her wardrobe. The smock is great for the hot weather.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • I still have my "out on the pull" dress which is 20 years old- It's a red shift dress and it never failed me once!;) I kept it as it has some fond/funny memories attached to it. I also have a jumper my nan knitted me 25 years ago - it's bright green with pigs on and I still wear it to slob about in when the weather gets really cold, much to my husband's disgust!
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Dinner jacket from about 1950
    Morning coat from about 1955

But they were bought second hand so not sure if that counts...oldest 'new' thing is probably a jumper from about 1986...
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    No-one can beat family hand-me-downs ... I reckon it has to be summat bought in a real shop to count. But I just remembered I have something older than OH's M&S thermal socks. In the summer of 1978 my great aunt went on a cruise round the mediterranean and she bought me back a headscarf. I still have it, and my daughter (now 7 ... yes I was an old mum) likes to wear it. The fabric is still really pretty, no holes, still a gorgeous accessory. And 31 years old, heck.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 June 2009 at 10:42PM
    I have a wide embroidered belt in the wardrobe that my gran brought back from Norway when I was about 10/11
    in 1968/9.
    I think I could still wear it despite being just a bit :rolleyes: thicker in the waist... gran always bought things to grow into!

I also have a fragile 'Indian' silk square from BHS which I bought in 1975 - beautifully soft but starting to split in places as it has seen such hard use. I paid 75p - a fortune when you think my 'pocket money' was £2.25 a month!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • painted_lady
    painted_lady Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post
    My mum knit me a jumper for when I started high school in 1990, still have it, its big and baggy cable design, but I wear it when it is cold (usually round the house)
  • Hollyberry
    Hollyberry Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have four "mature" wardrobe items, although the first three probably don't count as they were given to me by my nan. The first is a silver and turquoise silk dress from the 50s which I have managed to get into on occasions. The second is a full skirted navy and white 50s dress hand sewn by my nan from a Woman's Own pattern. It's still holding together and is great with a big white belt. The final item from my nan is a 1960s deep green maxi coat which I wore like crazy through most of the 1980s. I need to see if I can get it relined, but I still love it. The oldest item made for me is my 1981 picture sweater - a New York skyline - knitted by my mum. I haven't worn it for years, but it's my one "keep because I love the memories" item.

I think that the dress I bought for my 18th birthday could still be loitering in an upstairs wardrobe (1982 :eek:). It's black with big fierce sparkly shoulders - definitely one for eBay if I can find it, as I can't see me squeezing into that one!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    I still have a speedo swimming costume from 1986 when we got married. It is not at all thin and the elastic is still good.
    It seemed massively expensive at the time. 2 others bought around then, died long ago .The vest I am wearing today was a maternity dress from 20 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure