PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your oldest item of clothing?

Comments

• mrs_mix
    mrs_mix Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a night shirt that I bought when I was 20 I'm 42 now and it's still going strong
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you

I am one of the English sexy Shelias
    I'm also a hussy
  • vegankris
    vegankris Posts: 585 Forumite
    I go by that old-fashioned moneysaving technique of not really following fashion much, and keeping clothes I love till they're done, and was wondering if anyone here has older clothes than me?

My very oldest item is a 17 year old baggy T-shirt from The Body Shop with endangered species of animals on it, which I got when I was 12, and still wear as a pyjama top now at 29!

If wearing as pyjamas doesn't quite count as it's not worn outdoors, I'm currently wearing an ankle length floaty blue "gypsy-style" skirt (with an adjustable waist, I was only a size 6-8 then, now I'm a size 12!:o) from an independent "hippy shop" (as my dad called it!) called Osiris bought in 1994...

The oldest tailored/non-adjustable thing I own is a cord bomber jacket from Top Shop which was a 16th birthday present in 1996.

I reckon there'll be a few people here who can beat that...!:D
    Owing to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off until further notice. :(

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!!!:cool:
  • bellaquidsin
    bellaquidsin Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a 19 year old Danni-mac jacket which still looks as good as new and I still wear it. Also a kilt which belonged to my DM and she's been gone fifteen years so that is probably a similar vintage.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    my 4 year old has some shorts which were my cousins who is now 40!!!

They were then mine, both my sisters and then all my 5 girls.. I am keeping them after they are outgrown!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 28 June 2009 at 9:45AM
    My dog-walking coat was purchased in 1985 - and although it's been relegated to dog-walking duties it's still fine - even the zip still does up properly. I suspect I have a few tops of a similar vintage. Don't think I have anything to rival those shorts tho' pigpen!

(edit: - realise I posted on the earlier thread - the dress has now gone!!!!)
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a black and white stripey jumper that I bought around about the mid 80's that's still going strong.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Has to be a GAP red and white hooped rugby shirt that a friend from USA gave me in 1988. It was terrific quailty, faded now, but still has it's shape.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    My OH has a pair of marks and spencer socks that he bought when we first knew each other ... that would be Christmas 1980. No holes, still worn every 2-3 weeks.

My oldest thing in the wardrobe is a black velour top, bought in the mid 90s.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    vegankris wrote: »
    from an independent "hippy shop" (as my dad called it!) called Osiris bought in 1994...

You dont happen to come from around Glasgow do you?:cool:
    pigpen wrote: »
    my 4 year old has some shorts which were my cousins who is now 40!!!

They were then mine, both my sisters and then all my 5 girls.. I am keeping them after they are outgrown!

Now that what I call a hand me down:T
    I wanna see these shorts, I demand a picture:D
    I must admit to having a big fail here, all my oldest clothes dont fit me or i dont wear them:cool: I should just Ebay them really:rotfl:
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    vegankris wrote: »
    I reckon there'll be a few people here who can beat that...!:D

I have a cotton full-length petticoat, with a lacy edge, that belonged to my grandmother, so is over 100 years old, probably Victorian :T I wore it as a dress (tied at the waist with a silk scarf) and my DD now wears it layered with other clothing.

I'll add this to the existing thread on old clothes ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family