PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your oldest item of clothing?

Comments

• a deep purple jumper bought in QS 20 years ago and its still in excellent condition.I am often told what a lovely colour it is. My husband has a jumper bought in a woolies sale 25 years ago which washes and tumble dries perfectly, just starting to show a bit of wear around the neck but the body is perfect.
  • A pair of Christian Dior shoes - cost me £50 in the sale in 1977. That's [aaaaaaaaaargh] 30 years ago! So, they still fit me, have been heeled and soled twice, strap replaced once. Only problem? I don't think I can walk in them now - 4" stiletto heels :D
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    I have one item of jewellery so it doesn't really count as clothing - a silver bangle that was given to my grandma when she was at school for good attendance - she was 9 when she got the bangle.

Oldest item of clothing is a wool skirt from M&S bought 25 years' ago:eek: and I still wear it.
  • I was watching old famiily videos the other day, and in practically everyone I was wearing the same cardigan. 16 years old and the neckband is unravvelled now. I only wear it for reading in bed . But the kids were saying that I should get rid of it. nooooo
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • PJ bottoms from when I was 14...
  • Probably my grandmas vyella nightie- don't wear it now I have an electric blanket though -it was a godsend on cold nights, if a bit itchy:rotfl: being wool! Grandma died in 1985 and she had it many years before that.

Thinkig on though it may not be the oldest- I had a maternity skirt from my mum (I was born in 1966) and a couple of suits 50's style that may well be genuinely of that vintage (too small for me now:o ).
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My dad wore my brother's old platform shoes to do the gardening and power hosing in up until just a few years ago. He's in his mid-70s. He'd probably fall off of them now.
  • Horace wrote: »
    I have one item of jewellery so it doesn't really count as clothing - a silver bangle that was given to my grandma when she was at school for good attendance - she was 9 when she got the bangle.

Oldest item of clothing is a wool skirt from M&S bought 25 years' ago:eek: and I still wear it.

That is one of the benefits of O/S money saving- stuff you own hs history and meaning (though it also makes you a hoarder- I should really get rid of grandmas nightie but I cant..). If all your home is out of a box from Ikea or even John Lewis or Selfridges (lke my BIL+SIL who I love dearly but I can't understand how that makes a "home") then you don't have that lovely feeling.
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think my very oldest item that still hangs in the wardrobe is a dress I made about 34 years ago, but I have to admit I've kept it for sentimental reasons and haven't worn it for a while. However, the coat I always wear when walking the dogs is now 23 years old and should keep going for very many years yet!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • in terms of family heirlooms have my nan's china, glasses, mugs, sieves, several pots - I only throw things out if they don't work anymore or are broken...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure