Is it worth changing to Octopus Tracker now?

Options
t0rt0ise
t0rt0ise Posts: 4,290 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 14 January 2023 at 10:56AM in Energy
As per the title, is it worth now changing to the Octopus tracker tariff? Will I likely save money? I'm a high gas user (heating) and low electricity user, compared with the mythical average user.

Comments

• SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I m a recent convert to Tracker after switching over a week ago.So far so good when every day so far its been around 19 p kwh electric and 7.5 p kwh gas. 

• t0rt0ise
    Options
    SAC2334 said:
    I m a recent convert to Tracker after switching over a week ago.So far so good when every day so far its been around 19 p kwh electric and 7.5 p kwh gas. 

That's good, thanks. I wondered if it was a completely daft idea, but maybe not then.
  • SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    t0rt0ise said:
    SAC2334 said:

That's good, thanks. I wondered if it was a completely daft idea, but maybe not then.
    You can always jump off the tariff if prices do go bonkers .
  • tlcgrantham
    Options
    It’s a gamble. I’ve been on gas tracker for 9 months and saved £100.00 compared to the SVT. (I use 10,000kw per year). It’s been below 10pkwh for over 6 months of that. Unlike most tariffs Tracker follows today’s Wholesale price which is low at the moment but is volatile. However you can change tariff once a month back and forth if you wish. 
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 14 January 2023 at 8:15PM
    Options
     However you can change tariff once a month back and forth if you wish. 
    Can change from tracker to flexible and visa versa at anytime, 30 day rule that you refer to applies to changing from smart tariff to smart tariff.
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    SAC2334 said:

Hi SAC - how long did it take Octopus to switch you after you contacted them? I asked a few days ago but have heard nothing since, just wondered if I needed to nudge them. Also, the whole idea of being able to jump off the tracker if things go pear shaped looks less viable if there's a delay after asking them to switch.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,515 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2023 at 6:52PM
    Options
     However you can change tariff once a month back and forth if you wish. 
    Can change from tracker to flexible and visa versa at anytime, 28 day rule that you refer to applies to changing from smart tariff to smart tariff.
    This is true, but no guarantee they won't have had to change it by the time you want to go back onto it.  (Hopefully not, hopefully things have settled down relative to last summer/ autumn, but we just never know.)

[I don't know what the options will be when our Tracker term is up in August.  Must try not to worry yet though - I've other more important things to deal with before that!]
  • t0rt0ise
    Options
    I have emailed today. May ask on twitter as that seems to be quicker.
  • tlcgrantham
    Options
    They usually transfer you the day after the request. Good luck
  • 70sbudgie
    70sbudgie Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    Where can I find more information about the (recent) historic rates for Tracker?
    4.3kW PV, 3.6kW inverter. Octopus Tracker. Zoe. Ripple x 2. Cheshire
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure