We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Progress not Perfection
Comments
-
Echoing everyone else’s thoughts. Sending Sunday relaxation vibes your way 🧘♀️
PBs £2550 (including £1k EF & £500 Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
3 -
Can you task Mr SA with finding a long stick and he retrieve them presumably from the same window he threw them out of?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php5 -
Actually, I think that @enthusiasticsaver has come up with the fairest solution there.
2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!3 -
Sorry it was horrendous yesterday. I hope today is better.
It might be safer for SA to retrieve them as if MR SA gets them back, who knows where he might drop them and potentially spread more around the house. Then another huge cleaning marathon.
September 2017 Debt = £25330
Starting afresh.
You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x4 -
Thank you all for your support x
@enthusiasticsaver no we don’t have a downstairs loo. When he has these episodes the reaction is immediate so he barely gets out of his chair in time. He is meant to be wearing pads but often ‘forgets’. I earn a decent salary so don’t qualify for carers allowance. I used to get an annual review with a social worker and a one off annual payment of £100 but that stopped after cutbacks. Support for carers is appalling 😞
I let him try to retrieve the shorts himself with a garden cane but when that didn’t work I calmly grabbed the washing line prop and managed to push them off the end of the roof where they fell on Mr SA’s head 🤣😈 Now washed although I was tempted to sling them.I’ve finished swapping over the summer/winter clothes and have identified a few more bits for the charity shop and some for recycling.
Made a batch of carrot and ginger soup for work lunches. Got out the final portion of nut roast from the freezer and will have that for dinner with steamed veg and sweet potato.I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪8 -
Them falling on Mr SA's head did make me chuckle 😆
"Good financial planning is about not spending money on things that add no value to your life in order to have more money for the things that do". Eoin McGee2 -
Good aim 😁
Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases
One income, home educating family3 -
I read along most days without commenting, but as others have said, I don't know how you cope. I occasionally had the same mess to clean up after an elderly relative, but not as often as you have to & thankfully not in our house! Although it must be degrading for Mr SA, I had to smile at the shorts landing on his head!
Have you looked into part time day care for him? Maybe not while you're working as you do have a break from him most days, but perhaps once you retire? I retired 3 years before my DH but once he retired & was around all day, I found it hard to adjust to being together all the time. Luckily we both love gardening so he looks after the veg garden at the back while I look after the flowers in the front!
KA
6 -
That all sounds quite grim - but at least the shorts are no longer waiting to be dealt with. Sorry Mr SA, but but of all the places to land! Now I'm grinning, poor chap.
SA, I'm sending virtual hugs and Prosecco. Tonight has to be better. Did you hear any more after his hospital tests? That seems a while ago now but apologies if I missed it.
I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/224 -
He still has another test to go on Tuesday @Cherryfudge then hopefully the consultant will review the results and decide what the issue is. The consultant seems to think he’s coeliac but I think it will end up being chemo damage which is a big possibility.
I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪5
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


