The "Save £12k in 2023" Thread!

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hiya
    I'd love to join if that's OK? With a £12k target. 
    I have read through but not sure if I add in once I have actually received the money and it's in the savings account or whether (like for overtime for example) I do it when I work the hours? Is it personal preference or is there a fixed/best way?
    I think I'll join a few of the other challenges to help me on my way too! 
    I update monthly once the money is actually in my savings account but I assume as long as you are consistent it is up to you.  @slowlyfading asks for monthly updates. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please include me with a £5000 target for 2023. I was #14 last year, but I don't mind what number. I am very late responding as our visitors stayed until yesterday(!!)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    steves_uk said:
    I'd love to get involved again this year. Can I sign up for a target of £15k please 🙏

I failed to keep up last year - the saving continued but I lost my way with sharing updates as I made a large purchase using savings and it felt wrong to keep incrementing my reported savings total when I was really just paying back what savings I'd spent.

No planned big purchases this year, so should be a more consistent one for me!

Thanks for keeping this going @slowlyfading - if I can help with the administration of all this, do ask!
    @steves_uk I had a similar situation. I paid for half of the cost towards the kitchen to be fitted, so for a few months I declared zero pounds and filled the form and posted. 
    Some people posted a minus figure. 
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not reporting yet for January but after the monthly money shuffle today I transferred £3k to our joint savings and £100 to my personal savings account.  Hoping to transfer some more later on in the month. Credit card bills for December used for buying some Christmas presents all paid off today as well. :).  The extra income we are getting from my sipp from this month  is going to come in useful. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Coolhand2
    Options
    Please sign me up SF, my target is £12,000
    #96 Save 12k in 2021, £11, 000 / £10,000 saved in 2021
    #13 Save 12k in 2022, £7151.96 / £12,000
    #52 Save 12k in 2023, £0 / £12,000
    3-6 month emergency fund £10,000
    House Downpayment £7151.96 / £20,000
  • atti
    atti Posts: 224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last yr I found my biggest problem was the mindset "I'll make up the difference next month/later".  To overcome this, I'm going to have mini targets in year (in addition to the passive d/d in the background), for example, Jan-Mar max out LISA, Apr-Aug put money away to max supermarket Xmas schemes just before they close (unless of course savings match the bonuses, which I'll swap out in next yrs budget), Sept-Dec focus on LISA again. 
    What do other do to help keep on track/motivated to increase their savings to hit target?
    #13 Make 2023 in 2023 - £2085.20/£2023
    #23 Save £8k in 2023 - £6642.66/£8000
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For myself, I am saving for early retirement. Which is getting very close now. This is my main drive /motivation. 
    I know that for every £12k saved that is another year early I can retire. 
    From a day to day motivation. I always pay my future self first, Then I have a small 'spending' budget. I look at what I have saved and add small amounts to get to the next £1, £10, £25, £50, £75 and £100. These are my mini targets.
    I am trying a 'no' non-essential spend month to kick start the year. During Covid lockdowns I saved much more than normal. So, I am being mindful of small amounts of money dripping out of the account. 
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Pinkdaisy88
    Options
    Could you sign me up for £4000 please. This is my first year doing it but I am a long term lurker. I am saving for a deposit to buy our first home. 
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could you sign me up for £4000 please. This is my first year doing it but I am a long term lurker. I am saving for a deposit to buy our first home. 
    Exactly the same here! Currently have just under £10k saved and looking to have approx £30k by end of 2024! :)

Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport