We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old member returning in tough times

Options

Comments

• Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sending positive wishes your way.

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,290 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Best foot forward. It's something you just need to get through now  Thinking of you,
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Lanky_larry
    Options
    Been sat in the waiting room for nearly an hour, running really late
    this is ruddy torture 
    Debt Free Diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6413437/old-member-returning-in-tough-times

Officially debt free (cheated though as it was my husband's life insurance... )
    Trying to sell a house, and fundraising/ saving/ working my backside off to get my husband cancer care outside of the UK to extend his life. 

• Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I really feel for you.  In my experience there is nothing that makes the wait less awful.
    remembering to breathe is the best I could manage.  
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,692 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s good news the cancer is shrinking. The next 4 rounds may shrink it even further 🤞

If eating chocolate makes you feel better do it.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Lanky_larry
    Options
    Blackcats said:
    I agree with SunAddict about the chocolate ... I'll happily eat a couple of quality street and virtually keep you company

It's so strange getting results and updates.  I remember being told that there are 3 possible outcomes from chemo - cancer shrinks, cancer stays the same and cancer is growing therefore no longer responding to that blend of chemo.
    shrinking is the best option in this scenario (not being in the scenario at all is of course the option we really want).  So give yourself time to process the best outcome possible.
    if OH is coping well with the chemo and it's shrinking then focus on the next rounds and not trying to make decisions for beyond that.  You can still enjoy quality time between rounds.

I know it might not be possible or affordable but could you pay for a private consultation with a surgeon to get the scans reviewed?  Most of them will have private practice and it might be worthwhile having the review now the cancer has shrunk?  

Thank you - that’s actually really good advice (sorry that sounds rude! I just mean I wouldn’t have thought of that!) 
    I definitely think we could stretch to it, I will put some feelers out and see what it would cost and how we’d do it. Thank you 

(and also you’re right about focussing on now, I’m a !!!!!! for worrying about what will be at the expense of what is now - he is coping well with the chemo - CAPOX is a gruelling regime so we’re lucky *touchwood* he’s got off easily so far - it’s important I focus on the positive and don’t bring him down with my over thinking!) 

Debt Free Diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6413437/old-member-returning-in-tough-times

Trying to sell a house, and fundraising/ saving/ working my backside off to get my husband cancer care outside of the UK to extend his life. 

• Lanky_larry
    Lanky_larry Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 January 2023 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Had a response in a medical Facebook group that his mutation is an incredibly rare one - currently no research studies on it due to how rare it is. (Less than 0.01% of people with the mutation KRAS have his type so that’s been fun to find out. )
    but I have the information now and can keep an eye out for trials 
    Debt Free Diary:

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was going to say the same as Blackcats about a private consultation. I would also claim PIP as that (when they get around to paying it) could maybe pay for private consultations or make them a little more affordable. Macmillan nurses are also very experienced about "all things related to" so it may be worth a chat with them. There may be some other things you are eligible for - practical things rather than benefits. 

If you want to see the hospital consultant call the secretary for him/her and ask if they do private consultations and if so where. I live very close to a big hospital and quite a few consultants also do consultations in our nearest Bupa hospital but will then refer you back to the NHS. 

Don't assume that the person that you saw would recommend stopping treatment after the next 4 rounds of chemo. As you've said MrL_L has a very rare mutation so they've probably got no idea what will happen either. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure