We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old member returning in tough times

Options

Comments

• Lanky_larry
    Lanky_larry Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 December 2022 at 5:22PM
    Options
    satchmo1 said:
    For info - cancer patients don't pay hospital parking fees. HTHs
    Sort of - when we’re at the main hospital he has a card to get free parking there, but the others for scans and chemo we pay  - Eg todays hospital for scans was 3.20 for parking (we are lucky that we can claim this back through my husbands job should we choose to do so) 
    Debt Free Diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6413437/old-member-returning-in-tough-times

Officially debt free (cheated though as it was my husband's life insurance... )
    Trying to sell a house, and fundraising/ saving/ working my backside off to get my husband cancer care outside of the UK to extend his life. 

• Lanky_larry
    Lanky_larry Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 December 2022 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Today has been tough, the scans were done quickly enough, but it takes its toll on my husband. And now the gut wrenching anxiety as we wait for the results. 

We stopped at Morrisons on the way home to grab him a sandwich as he was starving and whilst we were there I got an email that Asda had cancelled our shop due later in the afternoon! 
    so what was a basket with a sandwich and a drink in it became a weekly shop with him in his tracksuit white as a sheet insisting he was fine and he wanted me to do it now so I didn’t have to go out again later. 
    I was all flustered and spent £70 and probably don’t have many meals! Although we struck it lucky as there was a staff member reducing food so got a few bits of meat cheap at least,

what a day (there’s been a few tears this evening, I need to find an outlet for it as I’ve got 2 weeks of this!) 
    Debt Free Diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6413437/old-member-returning-in-tough-times

Trying to sell a house, and fundraising/ saving/ working my backside off to get my husband cancer care outside of the UK to extend his life. 

• ladyholly
    ladyholly Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 30 December 2022 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Nothing much I can say except I am sending you my hugs and prayers..
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Such a long wait for results.
    Being busy at work might be a helpful distraction but don't work too hard and burn yourself out.
    hope that you have some nice family time planned for the next few days.

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,692 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m so sorry to read about the circumstances that have led you to come back to the forum. I nearly lost my OH to a brain tumour 9 years ago, thankfully he’s in remission for now, but I know how it is waiting for MRI results. Looks like you’ve had some good advice already and I will be following your diary and keeping my fingers crossed for some good news on the 10th. Work was a good distraction for me when things were looking bleak and still is to be honest. Don’t forget to take care of you amongst all this. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Lanky_larry
    Options
    Thanks all  - I am a bit of a beggar for overloading myself but I’m at my best when I’m flat out, give me too much time to think and I crumble.
    I haven’t found the balance yet but I am very lucky that my husband is utterly wonderful and is making sure I’m okay and looking after me beautifully, despite everything he’s going through! 
    Debt Free Diary:

• Lanky_larry
    Options
    Feeling a little melancholic this evening - the end of 2022 is nigh, 2023 is a scary year, it’s my birthday tomorrow and I just want to press pause. 

I have instead spent the day (after a good walk on the beach) whilst my husband is sleeping to update my account app, and move money all over the place so we only have access to the budget for fuel and groceries. 

I paid off the Klarna account in full yesterday, and paid a little chunk off the CC so it’ll be a round number once the scheduled payment comes out. 
    Everything feels more manageable when they’re round numbers 🤣

I still haven’t done any housework :/

I have all good intentions and then it’s all a bit overwhelming- to be honest the house isn’t too bad on the surface, the kitchen is awash with pots, but they’re stacked neatly… things are kinda pushed to the side to be dealt with later (a bit of a metaphor for my life one could say)

It’s a funny old life - a year ago we were full of excitement for the new year, we were moving house to an area we were all eager to explore and we’re ending the year not knowing how our future looks.

I shall cheer myself up I think, no point being so maudlin about it all, doesn’t get me anywhere!! 
    Debt Free Diary:

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,692 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time don’t think about the year as a whole. I know it’s hard not to. No one knows what’s around the corner, live for today. Big hugs x
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure