EV Discussion thread

Comments

• Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    JKenH said:
    40% discount on a brand new Corsa-e so down to £19,795

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309061619076

Cheapest petrol Corsa in same GS trim is £16,954 (23% discount) but a cheaper trim level is available at £14,824 (24.5% discount). 

Edit: I should all three prices are for new shape Corsas, not old stock.
    And if you can charge at home you should still make most of that back in fuel savings over 3 or 4 years
    Servicing should be cheaper too, and do the EVs have a longer warranty, they often do on the battery and electronics at least.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Biden Administration May Relax EPA Rules Driving Electric Vehicles: Report

In recent years, the American car market has been pushed toward becoming a significantly more electric one by the Biden Administration's strict Environmental Protection Agency rules. Those car tailpipe emission rules are so strict that they could result in two-thirds of all new cars having emissions at all by 2032. But now, after months of pressure from automakers, dealers, labor unions and the other side of the political aisle, the White House may ease up on that plan—a move that will sure to draw the ire of EV proponents and anyone sounding the alarm over global warming. 

This report comes from the New York Times, citing three unnamed officials said to be familiar with the plan. The exact details of this plan are not known, except that a "sharp increase" in EV sales would not be required "until after 2030."

https://insideevs.com/news/709077/biden-epa-rollback-nyt/

Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 February at 10:52PM
    I don't really get why everyone has to aggressively defend their choice, I mean does it really improve your life by feeling like you're right?

I drive electric and I'm not blind to the downsides but I don't like exhaust fumes from cars when I'm walking, diesels seem to be particularly smelly, so I felt hypocritical going a mile up the road to asda for a shop. 

I made my choice and I sort of regret it sometimes, but someone telling me I wrong doesn't change anything, I'm not going to start crying into my pillow because some random person on a forum doesn't agree with my vewpoint.
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Spies said:
    I don't really get why everyone has to aggressively defend their choice, I mean does it really improve your life by feeling like you're right?

I drive electric and I'm not blind to the downsides but I don't like exhaust fumes from cars when I'm walking, diesels seem to be particularly smelly, so I felt hypercritical going a mile up the road to asda for a shop. 

I made my choice and I sort of regret it sometimes, but someone telling me I wrong doesn't change anything, I'm not going to start crying into my pillow because some random person on a forum doesn't agree with my vewpoint.
    I walk to the centre of the town I live in frequently. Driving doesn't make sense for a short distance, even for an EV.

Speaking of range, this is tempting at such price. The reality is that I'm seriously looking at a 77kWh ID3 but am put off by 4 seats. I like the Ioniq for free parking in Poland  but don't like the slow charge time on the route. My brother needs a new car and his needs are more along Ioniq lines whereas mine have changed in the last few years to needing a longer range/faster charging car.
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310263352946
    💙💛 💔
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 February at 10:55PM
    Ironically I do feel like I've made the wrong choice here, mass uncertainty about the future of EVs, which will likely destroy residuals even more, meaning going back to a fossil car becomes increasingly more difficult to obtain.
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    Spies said:
    Ironically I do feel like I've made the wrong choice here, mass uncertainty about the future of EVs, which will likely destroy residuals even more, meaning going back to a fossil car becomes increasingly more difficult to obtain.
    I don't, there are huge cost savings to running it.

We have previously discussed my own financial setup at length car-wise and definitely even taking into account depreciation I'm almost certainly better off (as a higher mileage driver who owns mine outright).

As discussed with leasing deals, the lease will take into account most of the costs for a number of models now even at very moderate mileages. Cost isn't a deciding factor for me, but I know it's a very important factor for many here which is why I've been open about the numbers.
    💙💛 💔
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    Spies said:
    I suspect "the market" needs EV residuals to become.closer to what we're used to with ICE vehicles. Otherwise ther will never be the conveyor belt of cheaper 2nd, 3rd and 4th-hand vehicles needed for low-budget buyers.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    QrizB said:
    Spies said:
    I suspect "the market" needs EV residuals to become.closer to what we're used to with ICE vehicles. Otherwise ther will never be the conveyor belt of cheaper 2nd, 3rd and 4th-hand vehicles needed for low-budget buyers.
    There needs to be cars at the same prices, but there's no reason they have to be the same price at the same age.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • JKenH
    edited 22 February at 3:41PM
    I find this interesting because it is only EV drivers surveyed - people who have the experience to judge for themselves how practical EVs are - not Joe Public who only gets his EV information from the Mail or Express. It isn’t surprising that half of EV drivers mainly use their vehicles for journeys less than 30miles but it is surprising that only 18% use them for trips over 60 miles. This may be related to how the survey questions were worded so maybe not read too much into that. What is significant, though, is that 73% of the EV drivers surveyed have no plans to get rid of these their ICEvs and go fully EV anytime soon. This goes against the sentiment commonly expressed on here that once you own one EV it is natural that you will progress to become an all EV household. While the EV may be the main car (in terms of miles driven) it seems most EV drivers still prefer to have the comfort of an ICE car as back up. (That makes sense to me.) Weaning drivers off the ICE back up may be more difficult than was thought. 

Vast majority of two-car households reluctant to go fully electric

Independent leasing company Zenith polled nearly 2,800 of its EV customers on their experience of driving an electric vehicle. The findings, revealed in its second EVXperience Report (EVX2), reveal that over half (51%) of said they still have a second vehicle which is petrol/diesel. The vast majority (73%) have no plans to get rid of these and go fully electric any time soon, suggesting the “two-car family” could be holding back the EV transition.

The study also showed continued concerns with EV range anxiety. Half (50%) of EV drivers mainly use their vehicles for short trips (up to 30 miles), while only 18% use them for longer trips (60 miles plus).

Over a quarter (26%) said they were not confident doing longer trips, with the most common reasons cited being unreliable public charging (36%) and range anxiety (34%).

https://fleetworld.co.uk/vast-majority-of-two-car-households-reluctant-to-go-fully-electric/

edited: “these” replaced by “their ICEvs” in my opening comments. 
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    edited 22 February at 12:47PM
    Interesting to see that EVs account for 9% of the sales of used cars under 2 years old in January - perhaps tempted by heavily discounted pre reg models from manufacturers struggling to meet quotas. 

Fleet remarketing: Used EV prices levelling off after dramatic decline

Its Market Watch report suggests that used EV prices continue to show signs of levelling off, with values for fully electric used cars falling by just 0.8% in January, following a 1% fall in December.

“The used market has changed a great deal in just the first six weeks of 2024, with all fuel types not just EVs selling more quickly,” explained Dean Merritt, Indicata UK’s head of sales.

“A healthy demand has returned to dealers and consumers alike as they feel more confident that used prices have found their new normal.”

Sales of sub-two-year-old used cars were 26.4% higher than in January 2023, with EVs accounting for 9% of this market, with petrol remaining the dominant fuel type at 49.9% and hybrids at 33%.

Market days’ supply is derived from dividing the currently available supply of inventory by the average daily retail sales rate over the past 45 days, and EVs fell by 22 days to 66 days in January. This compares with petrol at just 42 days.

Merritt added: “It’s interesting to see the impact tactical new car registrations are having on the used market.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback