Options

Comments

• 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    silvercar said:
    1961Nick said:
    Decent battery size (48kwH) but poor choice of colour - red, white, black and 3 shades of green.
    It's still a golf sized 5 door car for £178 pm with no deposit.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,113 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    1961Nick said:
    silvercar said:
    1961Nick said:
    Decent battery size (48kwH) but poor choice of colour - red, white, black and 3 shades of green.
    It's still a golf sized 5 door car for £178 pm with no deposit.
    Be a lot less hit on the pocket under salary sacrifice! 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar said:
    poor choice of colour - red, white, black and 3 shades of green.
    Typically, in my experience, buying any car has a poor choice of colour in reality (especially if seeking to be MSE).  Often, the cost-benefit for accepting whatever colour the Dealer has available in stock far outweighs the desirability of the specially selected colour choice you really would like to have.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,113 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar said:
    poor choice of colour - red, white, black and 3 shades of green.
    Typically, in my experience, buying any car has a poor choice of colour in reality (especially if seeking to be MSE).  Often, the cost-benefit for accepting whatever colour the Dealer has available in stock far outweighs the desirability of the specially selected colour choice you really would like to have.
    Generally colours fall into 3 groups: like, accept, unacceptable. Those 3 greens I would put in the latter category.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1961Nick said:
    I've seen the deals on these, look great value. I'd say that smashes any equivalent ICE vehicle costs especially if you can mostly charge at home.
    Total cost over 2 years is around £4300 for the lease. Outstanding value
    I'm considering one just to use to part commute to a zone 6 station as it will pay for itself in lower train fares.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    1961Nick said:
    At about £5k for 20,000 miles over 2 years I'd consider one of these.  Even a green one...
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,090 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back in the day we got our leaf for 0 down 130 a month for 2 years...nearly 9 years ago now....
    I think....
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,087 Forumite
    Options
    shinytop said:
    1961Nick said:
    At about £5k for 20,000 miles over 2 years I'd consider one of these.  Even a green one...
    If you previously had an ICEV & could home charge, you'd save enough on fuel to pay for 50% of the rental.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 February at 10:44AM
    Options
    Widespread V2G (vehicle to grid) for consumers is a litter bit closer with Octpus's announcement yesterday.

https://octopus.energy/power-pack/

There is still only a small number of EV supported for now, but I believe this technology is going to revolutionise our home electricity supply in the next decade.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    edited 16 February at 11:06AM
    Options
    1961Nick said:

Be careful what you wish for. An influx of really cheap Chinese cars will crush the used EV market. 

I have been looking at an EV as a runabout for a while now and have seen the prices of electric Minis drop to around £13k with the cheapest on Auto-Trader at  £11.5k (2021, 36k miles). Not long ago the cheapest I could find was £18k. There are five MG5s available under £12k with the cheapest under £11k. There are MG ZSs available at around £10.5k. (The MG4 is holding up a bit better withe the cheapest, a 72 plate, 9k miles example at just under £18k.)  Car Giant are selling a Vauxhall Corsa-e at £9,698 and Autotrader show that as £924 above the market average. These are not trade in prices, they are garage retail. 

If people see a brand new Ora available on lease for just over £2k a year then why take the risk buying a second hand EV and risk losing more in depreciation.

There is an article in the Telegraph today

For the moment, used EV prices are stabilising again as the bargains available stoke strong demand, says Marc Palmer, head of insights at Auto Trader.

But with competition in the new car market intensifying, there are fears Chinese brands will seek to undercut their European rivals by slashing prices further – causing further ructions for second-hand sellers.

“That is the big question – ‘will the Chinese come in more cheaply?’”, says Palmer.

“We think they could, because they sell their cars more cheaply in China than they do in Europe. So they’ve got the ability to start more aggressive pricing.

“And if new cars become more affordable, then prices of used cars will probably need to come down a bit to make sure they still provide value for consumers.”

That could make more grim reading for existing EV owners, who have already been clobbered in the past year.

Based on figures for December, Auto Trader found that an EV costing £50,000 is currently expected to lose about £24,000 of its value after just three years on the road, significantly more than the typical £17,000 reduction seen with petrol cars.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/16/how-crashing-second-hand-market-slammed-brakes-on-evs/

Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback