🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

EV Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 February at 3:55PM
    Options
    JKenH said:
    I find this interesting because it is only EV drivers surveyed - people who have the experience to judge for themselves how practical EVs are - not Joe Public who only gets his EV information from the Mail or Express. It isn’t surprising that half of EV drivers mainly use their vehicles for journeys less than 30miles but it is surprising that only 18% use them for trips over 60 miles. This may be related to how the survey questions were worded so maybe not read too much into that. What is significant, though, is that 73% of the EV drivers surveyed have no plans to get rid of these their ICEvs and go fully EV anytime soon. This goes against the sentiment commonly expressed on here that once you own one EV it is natural that you will progress to become an all EV household. While the EV may be the main car (in terms of miles driven) it seems most EV drivers still prefer to have the comfort of an ICE car as back up. (That makes sense to me.) Weaning drivers off the ICE back up may be more difficult than was thought. 

<snip>
    I can't recall that sentiment being expressed on here at all, never mind commonly.

Does anyone else recognise this? 

The sentiment I recognise is that those individuals that have have moved to EVs would not move back to an ICE vehicle.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JKenH said:
    I find this interesting because it is only EV drivers surveyed - people who have the experience to judge for themselves how practical EVs are - not Joe Public who only gets his EV information from the Mail or Express. It isn’t surprising that half of EV drivers mainly use their vehicles for journeys less than 30miles but it is surprising that only 18% use them for trips over 60 miles. This may be related to how the survey questions were worded so maybe not read too much into that. What is significant, though, is that 73% of the EV drivers surveyed have no plans to get rid of these their ICEvs and go fully EV anytime soon. This goes against the sentiment commonly expressed on here that once you own one EV it is natural that you will progress to become an all EV household. While the EV may be the main car (in terms of miles driven) it seems most EV drivers still prefer to have the comfort of an ICE car as back up. (That makes sense to me.) Weaning drivers off the ICE back up may be more difficult than was thought. 

<snip>
    I can't recall that sentiment being expressed on here at all, never mind commonly.

The sentiment I recognise is that those individuals that have have moved to EVs would not move back to an ICE vehicle.
    As our late Queen said: recollections may vary. 

Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • MeteredOut
    Options
    JKenH said:
    JKenH said:

<snip>

I don't recognise that either, so maybe it is me :)
  • JKenH
    Options

Mercedes backtracks on EV-only commitment by 2030

Mercedes announced plans to go all-electric by the end of the decade in 2021, “where market conditions allow.” 

The luxury automaker said all newly launched vehicle architectures will be electric-only from 2025 onwards. Mercedes already offers an EV in every segment with the sedan and SUV versions of the EQS and EQE models and the EQB electric SUV.

However, Mercedes announced Thursday it’s backtracking on its EV commitment with plans to produce gas-powered vehicles well into the next decade. 

Mercedes-Benz now expects electrified vehicles (including hybrids) to represent 50% of total sales in 2030, drastically lower than the 100% commitment from 2021.

https://electrek.co/2024/02/22/mercedes-backtracks-ev-plans-gas-cars-2030s/

Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,100 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JKenH said:
    JKenH said:

<snip>

I believe silver car and myself have both gone from being 1 EV 1 ice households to being 2 ev households.

Not sure how the environmental impact of EV doing most miles and ice doing only few longer journeys works out.

PS it wouldn't matter what choice of cars we had, we would would mainly use our EV for journeys less than 30 miles - basically because that is 98% of all our journeys.
    I think....
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,135 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    michaels said:
    JKenH said:
    JKenH said:

<snip>

I believe silver car and myself have both gone from being 1 EV 1 ice households to being 2 ev households.

Not sure how the environmental impact of EV doing most miles and ice doing only few longer journeys works out.

PS it wouldn't matter what choice of cars we had, we would would mainly use our EV for journeys less than 30 miles - basically because that is 98% of all our journeys.
    Correct. We replaced OH's car for a Tesla and I loved driving it so much that when it became time to replace my Nissan Juke a year later I went for a Nissan Leaf. It isn't as much fun to drive as the Tesla, but I do like driving electric.
    That choice was made partly because I like drive style of electrics and partly the cost incentive - OH is a higher rate tax payer and both cars are leased through his salary sacrifice.

We've changed from exclusively driving our own cars to choosing the Tesla as the first car off the drive and using the Leaf as a second car. 

We do have a home charger and off road parking. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    JKenH said:

Mercedes already offers an EV in every segment with the sedan and SUV versions of the EQS and EQE models and the EQB electric SUV.

Do those models really cover every segment?
  • JKenH
    Options

JKenH said:

Mercedes already offers an EV in every segment with the sedan and SUV versions of the EQS and EQE models and the EQB electric SUV.

Do those models really cover every segment?
    One of the links in the article clarifies “ in all segments the company serves”

Mercedes planned to drop the A and B Class at the end of 2025. I don’t know if those plans will have changed with the delay in Euro 7 implementation. Several OEMs had made the decision to drop their smaller (less profitable) models as the cost of Euro 7 compliance would have rendered them uneconomic. I think that is why Ford dropped the Fiesta and Focus. 
  • JKenH
    edited 23 February at 10:56AM
    Options
    Perfect for those who believe an EV is the ideal car for a runabout while keeping the ICE car for long journeys. Not great though for the used EV market. It probably won’t come in at £8k though - perhaps nearer the estimated £16k for the Dacia Spring. 

Cheap Chinese electric cars with price tags of just £8,000 set to hit UK dealerships

The maiden voyage of BYD’s first ocean-going truck carrier was a success with 5,449 new vehicles on board.

Reaching the ports of Vlissingen in the Netherlands and Bremerhaven in Germany, the models will soon be distributed across European dealerships.

A typical Tesla will set customers back around £40,000 whereas BYD’s entry-level new Seagull supermimi comes in at just £8,000. Although not at the top end of the power spectrum, Seagull's top speed of up to 60 mph and 100 miles if battery range could make them ideal for city centres.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1869582/cheap-electric-car-prices-byd-tesla

Edit:  thinking about this, it would be cheaper for the likes of Ford and Toyota to just buy these cars off BYD and rebadge them then sell them for £8k, taking a loss on the way that is a lot less than the £15k penalty they would otherwise have to pay under the ZEV mandate. 
    To date this year Ford have sold just 325 Mach-Es compared to 1311 BZ4X from Toyota. As a comparison Tesla have sold 1964 Model 3s and 1871 Model Ys. 
  • MeteredOut
    Options
    JKenH said:
    Perfect for those who believe an EV is the ideal car for a runabout while keeping the ICE car for long journeys. Not great though for the used EV market. It probably won’t come in at £8k though - perhaps nearer the estimated £16k for the Dacia Spring. 
    On the contrary, I'd argue this is great for the used EV market, if you're looking to buy a car with cheaper running costs (especially if you have the ability to charge at home).

Glass half full :smiley:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport