We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

April 2022 Grocery Challenge

12357…50

Comments

  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    That cake looks fantastic @goldfinches! It's really good to have a solid recipe for people with dietary requirements as well. I shall bookmark that one.

    Can I join again with £200 for the month please? 

    I only went sightly over in March so I'm going to hit my target in April. Positive thinking!
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    So whilst I was waiting for this thread to open, I’d started to spend then didn’t dare declare (to myself) what I’d already spent as it felt like a lot so early in the month so instead just kept reading along! Head in the sand albeit not too deep! 

    Spends to far are £103/300. 

    There are a few unnecessary spends in here (not all by me) which we could’ve done without but hey ho. 

    Farm for pork box £30 
    supermarkets £40.17 which included £7 of flowers for the house and £2.50 on beer 
    Market spends on fruit veg and beans £21.53
    Butcher spends of £11.30 (very not needed) 

    There is a large meal plan in place until almost the end of the month which has been stuck to this week (for the most part). 

    Meals have been- 
    M Veggie cottage pie
    T Chicken fajita pittas
    W Prawn and (not potato) curry (with chickpeas and cauliflower instead!)
    Th DH will have freezer meal as I’m out for dinner
    F jambalaya (although I think I need to change this on account of using the last of the rice last night!)
    Follow here for the daily life of an ADHD mum with 2 children and a new mortgage to pay

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6570879/life-in-our-forever-family-home-and-the-mortgage-that-came-with-it#latest
  • Good Morning April Challengers!

    First shop for April done (yes, I know we're still in March, but everything bought today is for April consumption, so......)

    I went to MrL and spent £16.07 - surprise, surprise no £1.50 boxes, and the shelf wasn't even out behind the tills.  The veg and fruit counters were fully stocked with fresh produce.......  I noticed that the bread we buy has gone up 6p a loaf since last week 🙁But that carrots are down 6p a bag 😊What a pity I didn't need 4 bags of carrots to even out the price changes! 😂 There were no tinned chickpeas, and no sunflower oil, but chopped tomatoes were in stock today!   I then went 'next door' to MrAl and picked up oil, chickpeas, celery and easy peelers - total spend in MrAl was £2.98.  So my April spend budget is currently looking like £19.05/£100.

    I shall be back later with my menu plan.  I was holding out, just in case I dropped on any YS'd useful items or £1.50 box bargains, but alas, the shopping gods must have been on their coffee break today 🙁

    Greying X
    GC October 2026 £0/£232.50
    GC September 2026 £226.57/£225
    GC August 2026 £218.02/£232.50
    GC July 2026 £237.82/£232.50
    GC June 2026 £225.39/£225
    Non-food spend October 2026 £0/£80
    Bulk Fund 2026 Month 9/12 - £0/£20.40 (reducing balance - start £120)
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Today’s planned meals:

    B - mango & banana overnight oats (the kids & I)

    L - (for me) leftover tikka chicken and naan from last night, with salad and raita, and leftover plum crumble with cream! Already excited about this lunch especially as I didn’t actually have any of the crumble last night 😆

    S - sent Monkey to school with chopped fruit & a muffin from the freezer; after school I think I’ll do a mix of tortilla chips, fruit, veg and cheese (my kids don’t eat lots of crisps but I’m finding buying a value sharing bag of tortilla chips for 40p is really good value as they only get a handful at a time each).

    D - sweet potato & black bean burritos 
    Part time working mum of DS (2015) and DD (2018).

    NET WORTH Nov 25: £159,943
    Assets: £230,000
    Investments: £70,169
    Savings: £3,288
    Debt: -£143,514 (£700 CC / £16k car / £127k mortgage)
  • Soontobeoap
    Soontobeoap Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Homepage Hero
    welcome @Elisheba

    well I think I have set myself up to fail this month already. Buying in bulk worked for me last month so decided to do the same again this month. £165.00 spent on bulk shop from Tesco. All looking good until I saw an offer for dishwasher tablets. Could save £5.00 if I bought 400! Decided to go for it. Another £47.50 spent! 🤦🏻‍♀️. Still won’t need to buy anymore until next year! 

    So far I have spent £212.50 / £250 and DS and family are coming to stay this month for a week. It is going to take a lot of doing!

    meal plan for the next 8 days :-
    Friday 1st - turkey pasta using left over turkey from freezer and a tin of chicken soup.
    Saturday 2nd - Gammon from freezer tinned baby boiled potatoes, sweetcorn and peas.
    Sunday 3rd - Gammon jacket potatoes and leftover veg from freezer for bubble and squeak
    Monday 4th - Ham egg and chips
    Tuesday 5th - omelette.
    Wednesday 6th - ham pasta
    Thursday 7th - DH out , jacket with frozen leftover savoury mince
    Friday 8th - Meatballs and spaghetti
    saturday 9th and Sunday 10th away for weekend with relatives. No cost.

    Good luck everyone. 😊



    GC 2022 = £3154.96 ,  2023 = £3334. 841
       2024 = £.3221.81 ,   2025 = £3974.24 .  2026  £ 2295.02/£3500,  September £198.90/£150
    Decluttering campaign. 2026. 42/74 storage places, book cases, drawers cupboards and sheds. Also tidying / clearing front and back gardens , giving bathroom and kitchen a bit of a spruce up.  Me🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐⭐ ⭐DH🏅🏅🏅
    Make £600 in 2026 = £726. 79
    NSD in M = 18,  J = 15, J = 15 September 7/15
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm starting the month a day early as it was more convenient to buy the couple of things we needed for the weekend when I was near the supermarket today rather than make a special trip tomorrow. I say needed, the shower gel definitely was but the crumpets were more of a want than a need. Still, £2.46 for 2 packs of crumpets and 2 bottles of shower gel isn't bad.

    £2.46/£200
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I started the month a day early as well, as I had time to shop today and tomorrow I have to work.
    £22.66 spent in Lidl, £3.69 in Iceland on things that Lidl didn't have, and £25 on a meat deal pack from the local butcher. So £51.35 / £200 spent, on groceries only.
    We had game casserole for dinner, made yesterday. Just right for such a cold day, with mashed potatoes and steamed cabbage to soak up the gravy. There is enough left for another meal for both of us, which is now in the freezer.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.