Curbing the ridiculous

in Debt Free Diaries
306 replies 34.5K views

Replies

• rugbymadfamilyrugbymadfamily Forumite
    483 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Oh I love Masterchef too, just watched last nights and tonight's in one go! Hope the thai box and wine were enjoyable 😊
    Current mortgage (1 Jan 2022): £299,979 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!
    OP Goal 2022 = 3.75% in OPs: £1,200 / £13,200
    Emergency Fund Target: 3 months saved ✅

• RebeccaPearsonRebeccaPearson Forumite
    506 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    @rugbymadfamily - it's def one of my faves (even though it makes me hungry!).  One of the good things about autumn/winter is all the good tv shows coming out!  
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    Needed some more jeans but couldn't be bothered to try them on in shop with mask and etc so got those and will try on here and then take 1 pair back.  So will be £19.50.  Also need another jumper.  Same again re bothering in changing rooms so bought 2 and will try on.  1 was £22 and 1 £28.  I rarely buy clothes and still wear some jumpers I've had 20 years(!) so not going to feel guilty about it.  And gloves.  I mean, I probably have some SOMEWHERE in storage, but I also seem to recall that my gloves were found outside in a puddle in our old house and I may have chucked them.  Anyway, I have £47 left from my birthday money, so at most, going to be £18.50 out of monthly budget.  We are dress down at work though so I do need clothes to be able to wear there.

Food shop was just under £80.  Forward bought diet cokes as they were on offer at £6.80 for 24 so got 2 boxes.  Needed washing powder and DH wanted things to cook.  He did an asian inspired pork belly last night, using up potatoes and onions.  Tonight he is doing a Tartiflette.  Still a couple of things to get from M&S (like milk, a pizza for when we get back Weds night).

Today we are going to put the tree up with bubbles (from stores - people bought us loads for our wedding which we haven't drunk), mince pies (bought yesterday) and Home Alone - can't wait.  Before that, we have to drop all the DC's stuff at MIL's as she has them for 3 days from tomorrow.
  • edited 28 November 2021 at 11:54PM
    ohdearhowdidthathappenohdearhowdidthathappen Forumite
    1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2021 at 11:54PM
    Chuckling at the litter tray story and the nappy one  :D DH has put one of the kids in the bath with a nappy one on, on more than one occasion, those things swell!!  They've all been out of nappies for a while now, thank goodness. 
    Sometimes I look at DH who holds down a decent level job and think 'how can you be so incompetent at home?'.  Luckily he can't read my mind :D
    Debt Dec '18 £45393. Debt free June 2020
    New savings goals: House renovations £10000/£10000 - complete 09/21, FFEF £5000/£10000
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    @ohdearhowdidthathappen - that's exactly what I think about mine!  Perhaps our husbands are kindred spirits.
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you have a restful, fun and interesting trip.  Make the most of a couple of days of no pooey nappies
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    @Blackcats - thank you.  We had a lovely time actually.  Hotel was fabulous and we had some great food.  It cost us about another £600 all in (on top of all the flights, accommodation and hire car which was already paid for) but it was our first time away on our own (bar a night in a local hotel earlier in the year) in almost 2.5 years and we are both massively into our food so we do tend to spend on that whilst we are away.  DH got a good retention bonus this month so am not sweating it (too much!).

Anyway, gah.  We saw 5 houses.  It was clear that certain areas were just not for us.  But we think we like the Tavistock area - difficult to tell fully as we only spent 3 hours there - 2 in a restaurant and 1 at a house, but it just had a nice feel immediately we arrived which we didn't get with the other places.

Anyway, we saw an AMAZING house but they wanted offers by yesterday morning.  The agent could tell we loved it and it would have been the lifestyle change we think we are craving but it was in a catchment for a not great primary (with the nearest one after that over subscribed) and we did have some reservations about the layout.  We chatted about it all Tuesday afternoon and evening, changing between "let's make an offer" and "we need to come back for a week and really properly look around the area" so in the end we sent a long email saying we loved it but we needed to do more research now that we have narrowed down an area we were interested in.  Agent rang, and was sort of pushing us to make an offer, banging on about how the vendor wanted someone who would love the property (which we clearly did) and wasn't motivated by the money.  We said we might fly back Monday then we decided to check whether our offer would be acceptable because no point flying over again if not.  So we offered 30k over asking.  Then we got an email saying that she had had much higher offers, way way over the over asking price offers so was going with that (so much for the money not being a motivator hey?!).

But we actually felt relief, as we just felt we were being rushed - we never expected to find a house we liked so much on this trip, it was more about scouting areas.

HOWEVER: I now feel like I don't want to make the move to the UK.  I feel like I want to stay here.  DH still leaning towards going.  So I think we need to get a big piece of paper out over the weekend and really identify what, in life, is important to us: is it to be mortgage free and retire early, or is to be close to our family and friends, and what is important for our DC.

We can't do anything until the new year now anyway as we have no leave left and everyone winding down for xmas so I think we need to really make a choice between here and there (i.e. is having a dream home and lots of land plus ability to retire early worth the trade for the lifestyle we have now) and then, if we do feel uk is right, we really up the research on the Tavistock area and take the DC across in the new year for a longer more focused trip (we were driving all across Devon and Somerset this time around!).

And we have both said that if the vendors of the property we are under offer here with get their ducks in a row, then we will stay here.  At present, the house they were under offer on (although it wasn't moving anyway as those people hadn't found anything) has now been withdrawn from the market.  But they are apparently seeing something today so fingers crossed.

Sorry, this is not a very MSE post!  Today we have bought milk, have to pay cattery £44 and will take the DC to soft play (free) this arvo.  We need butter so I will probs go on way back from collecting the cat.
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    Spending hasn't been too bad today.  £3.70 on a baguette as was having my covid booster today and wanted something nice afterwards (I am quite badly needle phobic).  Had the Moderna and feeling ok so far.

DH gone to band practice tonight so am having a ready meal lasagna which bought yesterday, plus wine and just had some rice chilli crackers (amazing).  Watching end of film - the Next 3 Days on Netflix.  Even though I've seen if before am watching it again as think it's quite good.

Been told (though could be bull) that vendors of the property we are under offer on here have started clearing out and packing and have hired a storage locker.  But they still haven't found anything.  I guess it's really going to die down everywhere now until the new year.
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    Oh god.  We have just gone f*ck it on the budget.  Well, I guess what I mean is, we don't have much left in the "official budget" to get us through to Dec 20th when next paid but, I suppose realistically, we should just "virtually" (as it's all in the same place anyway) take the spending on the trip out of DH's retention bonus.  Anyway, large spend today because even though we didn't "need" much this week, my parents arrive Weds night and we are feeding them then.  So got stuff to make sausage and chestnut pasta which we will have with garlic bread, beers for my dad, wine for my mum (both on offer), snacky things and biscuits, 24 pack of loo roll (lol!), cat litter, the usual stuff for the DC, stuff for DH to make dinner tonight (to be fair, we were going to get a chinese which would be £40-50 so this is ok), chocolates for the nursery ladies for xmas (x3).  Also wrapping paper so we can get the DC's presents wrapped and under the tree - it ALWAYS gets left until late so this year I want us (read: me) to do it early.

Also got cake as going to best mate's tomorrow arvo and will need to get a nice bottle of something to take too as he did last time.

DH now pressure washing the outside steps as they are green and slippery (22 of them!) and our landlady (who lives downstairs) is in hospital for the foreseeable after having had a stroke a month ago and her ex son in law charges her to do it, so DH has borrowed his mum's pressure washer and is just doing it.  Been a bit worried as our lease up end March and we are concerned we will be asked to move on as the DC make so much noise (another old lady upstairs and now with landlady not well) but messaged my friend (landlady's daughter) who doesn't think she will be out of hospital for a long time (sadly) but also said that it wouldn't be a problem as she'd find the noise comforting, as well as having us upstairs in case she needs anything (esp with my DH being so handy).

DH is still hell bent on the uk - he seems very down and miserable at present and I'm a little concerned for him.  
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    Went to my best mate's house at 2 yesterday.  Took a bottle of wine from stores and cake.  We drank rather too much and I got home at 6.  Then THE WORST night's sleep ever as both DC up and down like yoyos all night!  All now asleep (including DH!) and I am in lounge with coffee typing this, but will have to shower in a minute and it's in the en suite to DC1's room so will end up waking him.  Not really sure how I'll work 9.5 hours today but given the boss's fiance (I effectively have 2 bosses, 1 here and 1 elsewhere - the elsewhere one is female with 3 kids and is lovely, the 1 here used to be lovely until he met his fiance who also works with us) swans in and logs on when she feels like it, I'm not going to feel too guilty.

Need milk today (quelle surprise) but should be NSD apart from that