Curbing the ridiculous

in Debt Free Diaries
747 replies 78.4K views

Replies

• RebeccaPearsonRebeccaPearson Forumite
    717 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    So DH has changed the tyre using the spare.  Inclined to see how the accident plays out as may not bother replacing the spare as we are probs getting rid of that car soon anyway as there is somewhere water is getting into the car.  So no cost so far.

We somehow now only have £71.57 left in our budget to get us to Saturday (not including saturday - new budget starts then).  Am hoping we won't need much else - we've plenty food so will just be top up of milk and also a small cost of taking DC1 for a coffee/cake after his S&L therapy Tues.  I also don't think either of us are out before then and I've just got food that will do us fri night (M&S have a 2 x pizzas and 2 x sides for £10 deal on at present - needed a pizza for the DC - we cut it into small bits and freeze so they can have a bit for tea some days - and that was going to be £5.75 itself, so decided may as well get the deal as that would then do for a weekend meal for us - so got another pizza, garlic doughballs and mozarella sticks).  So as long as nothing big crops up this week we should be within budget this month.

DH has taken DC to his mums so I have a rare couple of hours to myself (though the first hour was spent sorting out a bunch of clothes in our room and sorting the DC's bags/clothes for nursery tomorrow).  Now watching Chestnut Man which is a bit scary and heading to my best mate's at 3.30 for a couple of hours.  I just really need a break, esp from DC1 at the moment who is just having tantrum after tantrum and it is really wearing me down.
    717 Posts
    ✭✭
    Had a great time at best mate's.  He lives a very extravagant lifestyle so it was lots of champagne and nice cake.  Not good for the waistline but good for morale.  However, we had the night from hell with the kids sleep-wise Sunday night and DC2 kept us up from 12-4, then DC1 woke at 5:08!  Not quite sure how I managed to work yesterday but I did.  £3.50 spent on something needed but can't say what as is particular to here and outing!  NSD apart from that.  DH has been spending on the cc'd (things needed but not told to me at the time) so we now have £49.76 left in budget.  He has band Weds night and usually goes for some drinks after so if he buys a round that will wipe out £20 or more easily.  

Went to bed at 830 last night and actually got a decent nights sleep for once!  Feel SO much better today.  Going to take DC1 to his S&L later and treat him to cake afterwards.  Plus get milk but might detour to the cheapest place for it.  Can't wait for new month's budget to start!

Still nothing moving on the house front - been told that the people our vendors are buying from have been negotiating on a property over the weekend but presuming not successful as heard nothing further.  We still have our trip booked but I am beginning to get very cold feet about the prospect of starting again.  I think if the agent comes back and says Jan completion, it will mean we stay.
    717 Posts
    ✭✭
    Now only have £10.71 left until Saturday morning, though I do actually get paid on Friday, even though that would be false accounting!  DH had bought 2 huge bottles of calpol as we were out and DC2 poorly again.  So that was £12 I hadn't realised.  We also need milk today.  So I think we will probably go slightly over after a nice friday night supper is included but it shouldn't be much over.

Having my flu jab today at work which is free so just have to pop in as am off today.  Then to soft play with DC.  Then DC2 finally hopefully having his jabs so I suspect this afternoon we won't be up to much.

Work are giving me (and others) a £100 voucher of our choice for our recent hard work on a project.  So I picked ama*on so that we can put it towards the kids' christmas presents.  I ordered DC1 2 presents yesterday but had some money left on a giftcard I had got for my birthday so used that - there's not really anything I want for myself so it may as well get spent on the DC.  If I then apply for my credit card rewards in the same vouchers, that would give us around £160 for the kids' xmas presents which is more than enough and probably won't spend that much - DC2 really doesn't need much as he's 1, doesn't understand and also has all of his brothers hand me down toys (plus his cousins!) so it seems pointless buying him much, esp when he will get gifts from 3 x sets of grandparents (following DH's mum and dad splitting) and his aunties.  DC1 will notice slightly more but I still don't believe in going nuts.  

So then only got to buy for my parents, DH's dad/stepmum, neices x 2 and already got nephew's.  DH's mum wants us to make a donation to a charity in lieu of a present so we will do that.  Will just send my parents and parents in law some wine/beer - they really don't want much these days.  I think that happens when you get older and is already happening for DH and I.  We just don't need anything.

Picked up my glasses yesterday and they make SUCH a difference - my eyes no longer feel as tired or hurt!

DH and I stressing about our pensions - I only started mine in 2016 as I had always viewed the london flat as my pension but we obvs sold that and now need to use the proceeds for a house.  DH started his a long time ago but until the last 3 years had relatively low paying role so it isn't great either.  However, we've done some projections about what we will need when older and what we will need to put in in terms of contributions which we will start in Sept 2022 when DC1 starts getting some free hours.
  • TheAbleTheAble Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth looking at the generic Calpol equivalents, as the only thing that counts is the active ingredient. Savers do a bottle for only £1.49.
    Sealed pot challenge 074
    717 Posts
    ✭✭
    @TheAble - thank you - I always buy the cheap paracetamol but never for some reason thought of this for kids' remedies - I will look into that next time we need some

Had my flu jab, glad I'm protected.  Have my covid booster in december at some point, just waiting for appointment letter.  Took the DC to soft play which was chaos but took snacks, drinks and didn't buy anything.  

DH came home at lunch and took DC2 for his jabs - DC2 now sleeping as is exhausted and hadn't slept this morning.  DC1 will not nap this afternoon.  We've read some books and now I've put the tv on for a bit.  Lunch was from stores, as will be dinner, and DH is going to get milk on way home.

Have put lots of xmas chocolate in my online basket but am waiting until weekend to see if I really want it!
    717 Posts
    ✭✭
    Ended the month £29.51 over budget - not too bad given that a large part of this month's budget has been spent on flights, hotel and hire car for our trip.  

New budget today and need to do a big shop.  Have a list.  Tomorrow we are taking MIL for lunch to say thank you for helping us out so much recently so that will be ££, esp if she asks for Prosecco (which she normally does) - but we do need to do it, as she has really helped us out a lot.

DH is making his amazing butternut, chicken and pesto lasagna tonight.  We have squash already (home grown) and whilst the other ingredients are quite expensive (pine nuts, pesto, parmesan etc), it should do around 6-8 portions so can freeze for quite a few dinners (plus it is SO good).  Going to make some gingerbread men with DC1 later but ingredients needed for that are minimal as we already have quite a lot.

DC1 could also do with some more jeans so going to try a couple of shops for those to get best value.
    717 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yesterday was quite spendy.  £126 on groceries.  We needed things like vanish and kitchen roll which are more expensive than you think (and couldn't see a supermarket own brand of carpet stain remover - with 2 small DC this really is essential!).  Only a couple of non-essential things made it into the trolley - some chocolate melting puddings (on offer at £2.39), 2 bottles of wine, some crisps and some pistachios (so I guess, on reflection, that's about £25 of non-essential spends - ok, oops).  Everything else was essential and forward bought some of the vegan stuff we eat in the week as they often don't have it in stock so bought enough to cover 2 weeks.  The ingredients for the chicken, squash and pesto lasagna were expensive but DH loves to cook and we had a huge blue hubbard squash which needed to be used.  So he managed to get about 9 batches of soup and the lasagna out of that - so we are all set for lunches for the next couple of weeks and lots of portions of lasagna in the freezer for treat nights.

DC1 needed some new jeans and also a jumper or two - otherwise, it is just very difficult to ensure he has enough clean stuff and means constantly washing - given I work 3 long days, I don't get laundry done on those days so it just becomes tricky.  Anyway, got him 2 pairs of jeans and a jumper - £36 - will also be used by DC2 when he hits that age and then will sell on if still in good condition.  So lots of wear.

We were going to go to garden centre for a bacon sandwich and a coffee but instead decided to take DC to park and have lunch at home from stores as we had already spent quite a bit.  DH had 2 prescription charges as well as doctor thinks he has whooping cough!

Today will not be cheap as we are taking MIL for thank you lunch.  We are the only ones who ever take her out as a thank you but it is the right thing to do.  Dinner will be some potatoes from last weekend we need to finish off with cheese and beans from stores.

Debating not going to my big xmas party which is in a couple of weeks - food always rubbish and there's only a few people I'm bothered about seeing.  Also always ends in a hangover.  So, even though it's free, I think I won't go.
  • ohdearhowdidthathappenohdearhowdidthathappen Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you've got your Christmas shopping well sorted :)
    I second the swapping to own brand equivalents of calpol and kids' nurofen.  So much cheaper.  Same with hayfever remedies etc
    Kids clothes - I started dressing my younger ones in supermarket clothes, George is very good and so cheap.  H&M also great, really sweet clothes too.  I bought 2 pairs of jeans, 4 tops and 2 hoodies the other day and was under £30 for the lot.  I occasionally venture into Primarni for them, but I'm not a massive fan as it's always so crowded.
    Debt Dec '18 £45393. Debt free June 2020
    New savings goals: House renovations £10000/£10000 - complete 09/21, FFEF £5000/£10000
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You are right to treat mother in law - perhaps occasionally you could make a nice meal at home for her - one of your DH's culinary specials?  You could collect her so she could have a drink or pay for a cab.  She might appreciate the effort and you might save a bit of money too.
    are you all sorted for your trip?  You will so enjoy a few days together.  One of the school mum's I knew had a weekend away from her 6 😱 children and on one day set her alarm clock so she could just roll over and go back to sleep as a special treat.  
    717 Posts
    ✭✭
    @ohdearhowdidthathappen - I would def shop at those shops if we had them here!  

@Blackcats - it's impossible to have people here for a proper dinner really (unless they want to eat off knees) as our dining room is basically full of furniture and unusable!  But yes, if ever we get a house, definitely!  

We're getting there re trip thank you!  We've seen what's come onto the market last few days and have been trying to line up viewings - I will have to chase by phone tomorrow as DH has emailed but not heard and he is working tomorrow (I'm not) so I can call up.  There's an annoying one which is LOVELY but is a holiday let so they can't show it until next friday and we will have gone by then.

So, lunch was EXPENSIVE - £140 including tip.  That said, the 3 of us had 3 courses each, kids shared a kids meal and dessert (£7.50 for kids main and £4.25 for a bit of ice cream(!)) as neither of them will eat a whole portion and we had a bottle of wine, 2 extra large glasses and 2 cokes.  So I guess that is ok value (and it was really good).  MIL really did appreciate it.  She doesn't get taken out by anyone else really, so appreciates the treat I think.

NSD today - DH is WFH this week and boss took us out for lunch today to say thanks for our hard work the other week (on top of the voucher we are getting).  So was a good NSD.  Tomorrow won't be as taking DC1 to S&L so will take him for a cake and drink afterwards and DH needs batteries and we will need milk.

I've decided not to go to christmas party. Instead, will come home and spend time with DH and DC and have no hangover!!