Curbing the ridiculous

in Debt Free Diaries
758 replies 80.2K views

Replies

• RebeccaPearsonRebeccaPearson Forumite
    735 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    DC2 been seen as is now covered in spots - viral apparently so no nursery again tomorrow.  It's £80 a day and we still have to pay.  It's ridiculous how often he's been ill but apparently very common in babies his age this year due to the lack of interaction last year due to covid.  So we will just have to weather the storm.

Got 2 x milk on way home (they only do it in litres here) and unbelievably, it had almost all gone this morning.  So I went to shops after docs - problem with being miserable and DH off/us stuck in flat is we want to buy nice stuff to eat.  So £34 in shops - got 4 litres today (reckon I'll still have to buy some thurs) and lots of biscuits/cakes/fruit (for DC), some ready meals as on 3 for £7 and I am poss out Fri so 1 will do DH and 2 for the freezer.  Lunch for me for work for tomorrow and then lunch for us both today/DH tomorrow.

We are still well under half budget for month and new budget starts 20th.

Issue with friday: my best mate is now holding it at his house with my other close friends and has invited her and the BF - feel want to go to see the other friends but not them.  Hmmmmmm.
    735 Posts
    Forumite
    Worked today.  Was a VERY LONG DAY and I did not leave the office at all, for 10 hours.  Took my lunch in but ate it at 11 so was starving come 3 and had to go to vending machine.  I had £1.45 in my purse which had been there for weeks and weeks but managed to get a large aero bar for £1.  Normal bars are £0.70 in the machine so felt like I was getting value for money with intention it would last Friday as well but I was so stressed out by what I was working on I ate the lot.

Dinner was from stores.  Feeling rotten.  I've been critical of DH being off still but I don't think I should've gone back in this week as I have now been hit with a bad cold/sore throat.  DH went back to docs today as he is coughing so hard it's making him sick and quite honestly, I'm surprised he's not cracked a rib.  Nothing they can do - apparently these viruses are around lasting 4-6 weeks!!!!  Don't think I can cope with the coughing and dressing gown of doom that long.  They've given him a prescription for some codeine linctus but the pharmacy at the doctors don't stock it, so I may have to try b**ts on the weekend for him (or friday).

Long story but people trying to screw money out of us to tune of £170 odd at the moment which we dispute is payable.  1 I have raised a complaint and second one have raised a query with my credit card company in hope they will refund.  Do just get rather sick of having to battle for everything in life!!!

Have concerns DC1 is on the spectrum.  On speaking to nursery, my mother (who I can't stand but who has a qualification in special needs) and MIL, seems they all share same concerns.  He is definitely behind on his speech and we are in the process of receiving sessions (should start mid-nov) re that.  He is also at a Montessori nursery who can, thankfully, offer him separate sessions there too.  Am hoping that much (if not all) of it is frustration at not being able to express himself fully and that if we crack the speech, the rest might fall away.  But I suspect there will still be issues and I really worry for him and what that means for him.  I do, however, wonder whether, if I and DH were small now, we might be diagnosed as being on the spectrum also - I think there are probably elements of my personality which could be said to be and DH also.  It's hard not to worry for him - he's such a joy in my life and I just want the best for him.

Been listening to a podcast called The Nightcap which is brilliant - stories from chefs and it's hilarious - highly recommend the Tommy Banks episode (helped by the fact I'm slightly in love with him and wish he would whisk me away to his vegetable patch for a rough and tumble!).

Up at this stupid hour as can't sleep due to my runny nose!  It is currently cold in this lounge but we are trying to limit the heating on where we can, but obvs need to ensure it's warm for the 2 DC.  Could do with getting DC1 a dressing gown but not sure hw will wear it - DC2 has DC1's old ones and seems happy enough.
  • WinterWarriorWinterWarrior Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I struggle to have sympathy with my DHs illnesses too. I think there are 2 types of people, the ones with the animal instincts of keeping going because if you stop something might eat you or you’ll get left behind and the ones who curl up and hibernate until they are fully recovered. We are obviously the first type and our H’s the second 😬 it drives me potty, not only the dg of doom, but also the expectation of being looked after constantly…sigh.
    We know someone who’s speech was very late at developing…he’s perfectly fine now and runs a successful business, it just took a while to catch up. It might not be bad at all x 
    You definitely deserved the Aero.
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    Tilly Tidy to mortgage for 2022 = £355.40 
    my diary..everyone is welcome 😁 https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1
    735 Posts
    Forumite
    @WinterWarrior - thank you!  Ironically, I am now FULL of a cold and feel absolutely AWFUL.  Am not going to be able to go to friend's for dinner tonight, which I suppose at least avoids awkward situation with other "friend".  Also means I can't go to work as our current rules are that any cold like symptoms, you can't go in the office.  But also don't feel like I can be off sick.  So am going to have to try to do some WFH.  Problem is: our internet at the flat is horrendous and there is no way it will work enough that I can do the project I am working on.  I've messaged my boss to say "what do I do" - because it's their rules preventing me going into the office and I am happy to go in, but no response. So on their own heads and all that.

Just sick of all this illness - DC1 may well now haver DC2's virus meaning that he can't go to nursery tomorrow - MIL always has DC2 on a friday anyway but now she may have to have DC1 too!  I do wonder when our run of bad luck is going to end.

It is getting increasingly cold in this flat (despite old ladies above and below!) and we are having the heating on but obvs we can't have it on all the time and it also does only so much.  Thinking of getting DC2 a thicker gro-bag to keep him snug - currently in  2.5 but thnk he might need a 3.5
  • WinterWarriorWinterWarrior Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I hope you feel better soon.
    Can you do some of the work off line?

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    Tilly Tidy to mortgage for 2022 = £355.40 
    my diary..everyone is welcome 😁 https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1
    735 Posts
    Forumite
    @WinterWarrior - thank you!  Sadly not as it's reviewing documents through an online portal!  Have tried it already this morning and it won't work.  Have let boss know.  So think I'll just have to do my CPD instead for today (as now have muscle aches too)
    735 Posts
    Forumite
    So, I went to bed at 1930 but up now as my throat feels like I'm swallowing glass!  Didn't manage to do much work today but hoping I'll be ok to go in on Monday.  Bonus is a NSD as didn't leave the flat!  But will need to get some food shopping tomorrow.  We are both just so fed up now of all the illness in this flat.  We honestly feel lie we've been cursed!

We have booked some time off to go to Devon 29 Noc - 1 Dec so just waiting on DH to get his finger out and check with his mum that she is ok to have the DC then we can book flights/accommodation/hire car.  At least once we are on the ground there I think we will get a feel as to whether this is actually something we want to explore further.
    735 Posts
    Forumite
    Flights, accommodation and hire car have been booked!  It has cost us £639(!) But we are also going to try to treat it as a treat away from the DC as we have only had 1 night off from them since June 2019!!  So, we are now getting on with researching areas and registering with lots of estate agents to get some viewings booked in.  Exciting and scary in equal measure.  What has pushed us to do it today is that there was a house (which we viewed but knew wouldn't be for us) which was already on at around 300k over what it was worth, and went for another 150k on top.  The problem with that is that it then artificially inflates the market as people (and agents) are going "well, if that went for that, mine should be going for x".  And I think it boils down to the fact that we are simply not prepared to pay these ridiculous ransom prices to stay here.
  • ohdearhowdidthathappenohdearhowdidthathappen Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi, thought I'd pop in after your comments on my diary. 
    Just read through this diary and sounds like you've had a very unsettled time recently  :'(
    Being so ill for so long is so draining, especially with young children.
    I understand the dilemma of 'should I stay or should I go', we've toyed with a move to somewhere more rural and cheaper... we live in a very expensive county and we get very bored of so much of our income going on the mortgage.  

Debt Dec '18 £45393. Debt free June 2020
    New savings goals: House renovations £10000/£10000 - complete 09/21, FFEF £5000/£10000
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So sorry that you have all been so poorly for so long - it really is tough.   
    Exciting to have a trip to Devon booked - it will be interesting to see how the housing market compares to your current experiences.  It seems incongruous to read about the rocketing house prices where you are - it creates a crazy market. 
    Hope you are soon feeling a bit better.