Curbing the ridiculous

Options

Comments

• RebeccaPearson
    Options
    Took DC1 to S&L which went really well, then on to a toy shop with a cafe in for a cake.  He ate his cookie but not hot chocolate and spent £8.45 as I got a coffee and cake.  I will not be buying him hot chocolate next time.  Also bought him a tea set and some plastic play food at suggestion of S&L lady - feel I need to work on this with him now so can't wait until xmas.  And we needed a candle as the DC's poos stink the lounge out!  That was on offer at £10 down from £20 for a huge scented one.  So another £30 odd on those things.

Forward bought some wine which is a really nice on currently on offer.  If you buy 6 bottles then you get another 5% off which reduces the price significantly.  Won't set out how much that was but trick now will be not to drink it all quickly.  Might move some to storage.

Bake off final tonight - woo hoo!  So we have DH's lasagna from freezer for tea plus mince pies from stores so just had to get cream (got at same time as wine).

Work tomorrow - boo.  But will take sandwich and snacks in.  Both DC will have packed lunch.  DH WFH this week so will have soup from freezer
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Ah... forget you don't have access to some of the cheaper clothing stores!
    I think your lunch out sounds quite reasonable overall and brownie points earned are priceless  ;)
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • RebeccaPearson
    Options
    @ohdearhowdidthathappen - yes, I suppose for what we had and the quality it was!  And brownie points def important!  MIL having them mon-wed next week whilst we are in uk (they are in nursery 8-530 mon and wed though) so think there will have to be another thank you lunch!

Yesterday was a NSD!  They are few and far between at present.  Took lunch and snacks to work and didn't venture outside at lunchtime.  Today won't be NSD as we need milk, but will be minimal spend.  I can probably eek out the milk until tomorrow but it's then a pain as I have to carry it home up the hill which is a LONG way!  So will get today instead.

DH has been paid his retention bonus earlier than thought - we thought it would be next month but it was today.  So that has swelled the coffers.

Still nothing moving with the house here.  

We have 5 viewings lined up so far for uk next week as not much is coming on in the run up to xmas, so is more about areas really and getting a "feel" for whether this is something we actually want to look at further.  And also a break from the kid, who I will really miss, but it will be nice to have some uninterrupted sleep and avoid pooey nappies for a couple of days!
  • RebeccaPearson
    Options
    arrgghhhh, forgot!  It won't be minimal spend as we need a new litter tray for the cat!  Noticed last night it was leaking onto bathroom floor.  Eventually got out of DH that it was because he had made lots of holes in the bottom when we were living in our house/the rental and the cat could go out, for his GARDENING!!!!  !!!!!!.  I mean, we've been here 8 months, did he not think to tell me this?!  So need to go to pet shop to get a litter tray.
  • RebeccaPearson
    Options
    Litter tray was £6.  Bought milk x2, bread (as we are running low and need for DC2's nursery lunch tomorrow) and some Heston mince pies (the lemon ones, they are delicious) - mince pies obvs non-essential, on offer at £2.40 so total was £6.30.  So £12.30 spent today.  Shouldn't be any more now.  DC1 is at nana's and getting dropped here before 230.  DC2 here with me.  DH working from home and I'm having my ear micro suctioned at 12!  Lunch is soup and bread, dinner is vegan plus waffles all from stores.

A friend is over from uk tomorrow so a bunch of us going for lunch - would rather avoid (also because of covid) but can't - but have a good excuse as only get an hour for lunch so tempted to take lunch in and just show up and have a coffee.  Otherwise will be at least £20 (though the food is v good).
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    arrgghhhh, forgot!  It won't be minimal spend as we need a new litter tray for the cat!  Noticed last night it was leaking onto bathroom floor.  Eventually got out of DH that it was because he had made lots of holes in the bottom when we were living in our house/the rental and the cat could go out, for his GARDENING!!!!  !!!!!!.  I mean, we've been here 8 months, did he not think to tell me this?!  So need to go to pet shop to get a litter tray.
    I am delirious but that is SO funny. SO SO funny. Your DH is lucky to be alive. 8 months.... and he didn't remember.... 
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • RebeccaPearson
    Options
    Honestly Buffy, sometimes I do wonder about him.  Our other tray was leaking at one point and he switched it out, so when this one was leaking last night and he mentioned it had holes in the bottom I said "do all cat trays have holes in the bottom?" thinking - surely not.  Then he said er no, I made some holes in it when I was using it for gardening(!!!!!).

THIS is my life.  Seriously.  Man.
  • rugbymadfamily
    Options
    Also a cat owner....can't believe your husband, I'd be a mix of furious and rolling round laughing at the strangeness lol.

Best of luck next week, hope goes well.
    Current mortgage (1 Jun 2022): £289,501 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!
    OP Goal 2022 = 3.75% in OPs: £6,975 / £13,200
    Emergency Fund Target: 3 months saved ✅

• Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A cat litter tray with added holes for drainage 🤣
  • RebeccaPearson
    Options
    @Blackcats - I know!!!  @rugbymadfamily - I know, right.  Thank you!  His latest folly was putting DC2's nappy (size 4) on DC1 (size 7) last night, so DC1 woke up soaked in wee and muggins had to wash all the bedding!!!!

So went to the lunch today and had burger and glass of wine - £23 including tip.  Glad I went to the lunch but wish I'd just eaten at work.

Got the a*azon voucher from work so loaded it onto my account and ordered DC1 some xmas presents - was about £37 but obvs with vouchers so at least not out of monthly spend.

DH went to shop and got thai box, milk x 3 and prawn crackers x2 bags, 1 of which he's eaten at his mums this afternoon(!).  Not sure what he spent until it appears on card.  I got cream on way home - £1.65.  

So spendy-ish day.

Settling down now with thai box, wine and last night's masterchef - will watch bake off extra slice later too.

Happy Friday all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure