Waiting on probate to be granted

Hi all I’m in the middle of buying a house that is going through probate, application was sent last week with the will, solicitor is dealing with it all, EA have seen the will and said it don’t look overly complicated, there is a sole beneficiary which is the daughter, would anyone know if there is a delay with probate being granted and have solicitors got to apply online or send In post for probate thanks 

Replies

• p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As per your similar thread over on the House buying board, it;s a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question

It can be very quick, it can be very slow. It can depend on whether IHT is due, the terms of the will etc....
    It's out of your hands,  all you can do is wait or look elsewhere.....

• mumtutu2mumtutu2 Forumite
    7 Posts
    First Post
    No idea how solicitors deal with it but we applied ourselves and we've just received Grant of probate papers through the letter box today.  We applied online on 13th May and then sent the will, which HMCTS received May 17th. Hopefully you get sorted quickly too! 
  • Cookie211Cookie211 Forumite
    280 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    mumtutu2 said:
    No idea how solicitors deal with it but we applied ourselves and we've just received Grant of probate papers through the letter box today.  We applied online on 13th May and then sent the will, which HMCTS received May 17th. Hopefully you get sorted quickly too! 
    Thank you 
  • Mrs_TiggywinkleMrs_Tiggywinkle Forumite
    8 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Just to reassure you, my probate application (straightforward will, two beneficiaries, application done online on 23 May) has just been approved, so it took almost exactly 4 weeks. 
    280 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Just to reassure you, my probate application (straightforward will, two beneficiaries, application done online on 23 May) has just been approved, so it took almost exactly 4 weeks. 
    Thank u for letting me know, I don’t know much to be honest as I’m the buyer but just been told it’s not overly complicated and a sole beneficiary, solicitor has submitted application last week so hoping won’t be to long 
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    25K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I've read on here, it seems probate for straightforward wills isn't delayed too much by Covid. 🤞 it'll be simple for you OP. 
    280 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    maman said:
    From what I've read on here, it seems probate for straightforward wills isn't delayed too much by Covid. 🤞 it'll be simple for you OP. 
    Thank u 😊 
  • gun_raidergun_raider Forumite
    12 Posts
    10 Posts
    i’m in the same spot as you.

the sellers applied for the probate on the 28th of April. they contacted the probate people after 4 weeks and they told them they don’t have a completion timeline for them as they’re still processing the January backlog!

i’m 6 months into the purchase of this house and it’s been a nightmare. the sellers solicitors are absolutely useless. 
    280 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    i’m in the same spot as you.

the sellers applied for the probate on the 28th of April. they contacted the probate people after 4 weeks and they told them they don’t have a completion timeline for them as they’re still processing the January backlog!

i’m 6 months into the purchase of this house and it’s been a nightmare. the sellers solicitors are absolutely useless. 
    Is it a straight forward case with probate 
  • gun_raidergun_raider Forumite
    12 Posts
    10 Posts
    yes, from what i know there’s one beneficiary (the daughter). if i were to take a guess the sellers solicitors keep making mistakes.

my friend who had a more complicated case after his grandad passed away (multiple people involved and two properties) got the grant of probate to come through 4 weeks after applying a couple of months ago.