PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Probate

Options
Application sent off for grant of probate last week, anyone know how long probate is taking to be granted, not overly complicated, sole beneficiary and got the will thanks 

Comments

• Stand_up_Juno
    Options
    Hi, I'm due to exchange on my purchase tomorrow, which in itself is a miracle as it has taken 1 year and 7 months, for a 3 parties, 2 house chain.  I had to contend with Sellers who couldn't find a property to buy, a pandemic, lock downs and closed housing market (2020), and an unexpected turn mid process, when probate had to be completed for top of chain to complete the sale.  Also a sole beneficiary, not complicated, and that whole process from start to finish took 8 months. In my experience it took the Seller several months just to complete the paperwork. Inheritance tax was due and HMRC needed to process the payment, and provide a "receipt", which can take 4-8 weeks.  Only then could the Grant of Probate be applied for which can take another 4-12 weeks on average.  That's my recent experience. 
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Three weeks for my late Mum's.  The solicitor applied in mid-April 2021 and granted end of first week of May.
  • Cookie211
    Cookie211 Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I'm due to exchange on my purchase tomorrow, which in itself is a miracle as it has taken 1 year and 7 months, for a 3 parties, 2 house chain.  I had to contend with Sellers who couldn't find a property to buy, a pandemic, lock downs and closed housing market (2020), and an unexpected turn mid process, when probate had to be completed for top of chain to complete the sale.  Also a sole beneficiary, not complicated, and that whole process from start to finish took 8 months. In my experience it took the Seller several months just to complete the paperwork. Inheritance tax was due and HMRC needed to process the payment, and provide a "receipt", which can take 4-8 weeks.  Only then could the Grant of Probate be applied for which can take another 4-12 weeks on average.  That's my recent experience. 
    Thank god your at the end now and congratulations hope tomorrow goes smoothly for u, hope we haven’t got to wait that long 
  • Cookie211
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Three weeks for my late Mum's.  The solicitor applied in mid-April 2021 and granted end of first week of May.
    Sorry to hear about about your mother, the house we buying is going through probate the solicitor sent the application last week with the will, I’m hoping there will be no complications with the forms and probate can be granted ASAP, I’m glad u didn’t have to wait to long 
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think, to be on the safe side, you’ll be looking at 6 months for an uncomplicated probate application 
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go and look on the funerals and probate forum. It was taking 4-8 months  and longer but many are now granted within 10 days of acknowledgement.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Cookie211
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    davilown said:
    I think, to be on the safe side, you’ll be looking at 6 months for an uncomplicated probate application 
    6 months for it to be granted, oh I hope not as my mortgage offer would expire by then 
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cookie211 said:
    davilown said:
    6 months for it to be granted, oh I hope not as my mortgage offer would expire by then 
    You should be able to apply for an extension
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • Cookie211
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RAS said:
    Go and look on the funerals and probate forum. It was taking 4-8 months  and longer but many are now granted within 10 days of acknowledgement.
    It was only submitted last week so don’t think it will be on there yet 
  • 63_jen
    63_jen Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Cookie211 said:
    Application sent off for grant of probate last week, anyone know how long probate is taking to be granted, not overly complicated, sole beneficiary and got the will thanks 
    Currently anything up to 16 weeks I'm reliably informed. Good luck and happy spending!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback