£7-£8k for Aircon system

Options

Comments

• danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    that's what comes as a big surprise or shock after they've moved in.
    Bit like what’s happened here although the heating is sufficient. 
  • danrv
    edited 12 June 2021 at 12:55PM
    Options
    mnbvcxz said:
    If it was me I would think hard about getting one or two heads downstairs in the most used room(s) first as an experiment. Then I could get an idea of how practical they were for heating and whether I would want one in a bedroom and what having warm air blown around was like. You never know, once downstairs was warmed up you might not feel the need for the extra heaters. 

Small single AC units are also availible with higher effiencies, you can get a COP of over 5. And their minimum power draw is less too.  I suspect a single large 10kw box will draw at least 1kw minimum and have a COP close to 3.

You would think lots of heads on a single box would be cheaper but it doesn't seem to work that way. It does mean less outside boxes though.

A bit worrying what Swipe says. They mostly claim to be good to -15C or so, but clearly that was not his experience. Perhaps they are not better ten years on? Certainly scandinavian countries get special low temperature models, whether there are UK ones better aimed at heating than cooling? I know the propane diy models from appliances direct say they are background heating only and the reviews say stop in cold weather but I was hoping the smarter brands would be able to cope.

Obviously none of this gets you any hot water....

They do seem wonderful on paper, almost to good to be true, so if you do go ahead let us know how it works out. I'm not brave enough to be a pioneer and put them to them test...

good luck

Some useful advice there 👍
    Maybe could try a multi split with three heads for main living spaces. The outdoor unit would then be smaller, giving more flexibility for placement.
    Not that keen on a large 10kw one on the garage roof as proposed with the six head installation.
  • danrv
    edited 7 August 2021 at 12:15PM
    Options
    I’ve had another quote for just over 13k for a two zone ducted Aircon system.
    It’s a good idea for an all electric three bed semi detached property. 
    Basically it’s two systems, one for down and one for up with ceiling vents.
    Considering no RHI payments, it’s a big layout but 
    would be a good heating/cooling system.

• ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You definitely need planning permission.  Link  
    I recently installed two 3.5Kw units for each bedroom cost around 2k in total and £250 for planning permission.  I had to withdraw the 7.1Kw unit as the planning and environment guys wanted to see a noise assessment report/survey.  
    A few people and installers I spoke to definitely said to go with individual units unless the rooms are very close by and the runs will be minimal.  Ducted might be the way to go.  

It would be useful to find out how long the selected company supports each model (Lifecycle) - If you have a problem with the condenser, then it could become expensive to repair it if the product is no longer supported.  One of my friends had to replace a split with 3 indoor units due to this problem.  He struggled to find a tradesperson who would be willing to try to not change the indoor unit.  
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • danrv
    Options
    You definitely need planning permission.  Link  
    I recently installed two 3.5Kw units for each bedroom cost around 2k in total and £250 for planning permission.  I had to withdraw the 7.1Kw unit as the planning and environment guys wanted to see a noise assessment report/survey.  
    A few people and installers I spoke to definitely said to go with individual units unless the rooms are very close by and the runs will be minimal.  Ducted might be the way to go.  

It would be useful to find out how long the selected company supports each model (Lifecycle) - If you have a problem with the condenser, then it could become expensive to repair it if the product is no longer supported.  One of my friends had to replace a split with 3 indoor units due to this problem.  He struggled to find a tradesperson who would be willing to try to not change the indoor unit.  

Ok thanks. 
    Yes, considering the system is for the whole house. I assume your installation is for a couple of rooms only. 
    Semi detached one side and other side, property is 17m away.
    It’s doubtful that I’ll go with the ducted system at 13k. Half that is about my max.

The alternative cheaper ductless system would consist of a 10kw heatpump on the garage roof and six indoor units mounted high on the walls.
    The larger, the more noisy so PP would be a good idea.

Another option is ductless three head multi split for downstairs only with a smaller heatpump.

• danrv
    edited 14 August 2021 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Hi
    Any thoughts on something like this for main living areas?
    Have looked at routing for mains power and connecting pipes and should be ok.
    Would need to get a registered fitter to do it but
    could be cheaper approach.

https://www.aircondirect.co.uk/p/1344510/multi-split-27000-btu-smartapp-wifi-inverter-wall-air-conditioner-with-3x-9000-btu-indoor-units-to-a-single-outdoor-unit##reviews

Have also had a suggestion to fit individual units rather than multi split:
    Less power surge
    Easier pipe runs
    Any outdoor condenser problems or failure, there’s 
    still heating.
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 August 2021 at 10:41PM
    Options
    For a multi split.. it's can only work in one mode at a time - I mean cooling in all the rooms, you cannot have heating in one and cooling in one. 
    With individual units, you can do what ever you want. 
    I initially thought it was all rubbish, but looking at how we have been using these over the last few months, it would have been a constant battle with daughter and wife. 

Somebody once told me - it's either Daikin or Mitsubishi for Aircon always. 
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • danrv
    edited 15 August 2021 at 10:05AM
    Options
    For a multi split.. it's can only work in one mode at a time - I mean cooling in all the rooms, you cannot have heating in one and cooling in one. 
    With individual units, you can do what ever you want. 
    I initially thought it was all rubbish, but looking at how we have been using these over the last few months, it would have been a constant battle with daughter and wife. 

Somebody once told me - it's either Daikin or Mitsubishi for Aircon always. 
    Thanks.
    I think different temperatures in one mode can be set with multi split.
    With the 13k ducted system, heating or cooling can be set for upper and lower separately.
    Not individual rooms though. 
    This would be ideal and exceeds what I need which is good heating.

I’ll need to compromise whatever. Either huge outlay, individual single splits or multi split.
    Mitsubishi or Daikin I would have thought would be ok for multi split. 
  • danrv
    edited 21 September 2021 at 6:52PM
    Options
    Just an update.
    They've taken another look for a cheaper alternative. 
    Rather than ducted throughout, it's possible to have ducted units in the loft for bedrooms and multi split for downstairs.
    Running off either two outdoor compressors or one.
    Also mentioned using the current ducting and feeding modern type though it for retrofit ductless. That would be more discreet than having air handlers but it may limit cooling mode 
    ability.
  • danrv
    edited 21 September 2021 at 6:51PM
    Options
    I don’t think there’s going to be a money saving resolution to this heating dilemma.
    Just over £12k is the latest proposed quote.
    It should add value to the property though and will be lot cheaper to run than my warm air system.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback