£7-£8k for Aircon system

Options
danrv
danrv Posts: 1,438 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hi
I been given the above estimate for a 10kw Aircon system for my three bed semi detached house.
ASHP with 5 or 6 indoor units. Most of the cost is down to labour. 
Just wondering if anybody has had a similar install and could comment on installation and running costs.

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All I know is that you need planning permission to install an ASHP that is used for cooling as well as heating.
    Reed
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You wont get RHI either
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • danrv
    edited 21 May 2021 at 8:40PM
    Options
    All I know is that you need planning permission to install an ASHP that is used for cooling as well as heating.
    I didn’t know that. Not sure what difference the cooling ability makes.
    I do know about fitting several outdoor units and planning permission.
  • danrv
    edited 21 May 2021 at 8:44PM
    Options
    You wont get RHI either
    No, I looked into that. I have no radiators so cheaper up front cost to go with air to air. 
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    danrv said:
    I didn’t know that. Not sure what difference the cooling ability makes.
    It can wake up the neighbours if used for cooling on hot summer nights.
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    There is a regular on the Green and Ethical section of the forum who has a couple of air-to-air units; I think these operate independently.    
    Reed
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    There is a regular on the Green and Ethical section of the forum who has a couple of air-to-air units; I think these operate independently.    
    @danrv I think R_R is referring to @Martyn1981 and @ASavvyBuyer both of whom have AAHPs, but smaller systems than the one you're looking at. They also have a thread here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4715287/discussion-ashp-air-air-with-solar-pv
    If you contact either of those people directly, or post on the thread, I'm sure they will share their experiences with you.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • danrv
    edited 22 May 2021 at 10:03AM
    Options
    Not too sure what type of company would be needed for air to air ASHP heating installation only. That’s the main requirement.
    I guess whether heating/cooling or just heating only is down to the indoor unit design.

• Reed_Richards
    Options
    QrizB said:
    @danrv I think R_R is referring to @Martyn1981 and @ASavvyBuyer both of whom have AAHPs, but smaller systems than the one you're looking at. ...

Thank you, @QrizB, I have a terrible memory for names.
    Reed
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    danrv said:
    Not too sure what type of company would be needed for air to air ASHP heating installation only. That’s the main requirement.
    I guess whether heating/cooling or just heating only is down to the indoor unit design.

I've seen other cases where people used commercial AC installers - for example, the people who do ACs in restaurant kitchens and small offices. Lots of these companies about. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback