The Next Phase

Sunshine_girl2
Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,728 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 24 March 2022 at 4:25PM in Debt free diaries
I became debt free a week ago , so have decided to start a new diary to cover my journey to working part time when I am 60 in 19 months . Retirement completely will depend on certain factors , so for now I am aiming to be doing 2 days a week starting jan 2023. I want to try and save as much as I can in the next 19 months to have a little bit of rainy day money. It is very likely that I will be paying rent all through my retirement so anything I can save now will help. I want to carry on with all my MSE things that I have learnt over the last few years and try and be frugal , which will hopefully help me in my retirement. Let's see how I do with that idea. 

Debt free April 26th 2021

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary  :grin:
    Settles in.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,696 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Happy New Diary x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    How lovely, good luck with your saving ⭐️
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    All tall the best with your new diary and your saving goals!👍
    Have subscribed!😀
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,274 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Have subscribed 😁 I think a lot of people will be staying with home workouts.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • BalanceBy50
    BalanceBy50 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Happy new diary SSG2 😊.  I am 9 years younger than you and will follow this journey if that's ok? I am trying to sort my pensions so I can work 2 days a week from about the age of 62... well that's my plan!  In some ways renting is easier - if you have a good landlord you should never have to worry sorting out any maintenance.  My house is 50 years olod and the neighbours are all starting to get new roofs - something like that is not on my radar at all!

take care and hope you had a lovely morning in work xx
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Lovely to 'see' you and looking forward to reading your adventures running up to working part time. 
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Happy new diary. 
    Your plans sound good. An aim to go part time will ease you gradually before you finish working completely.
    There will certainly be a big void when Debenhams goes from the big city. I wonder what’ll happen to the building. I’ve visited that shop all my life 😥 I think this lockdown is the longest period without visiting there.....
    January spends - £587.58
  • I've subscribed :). It's fantastic that you're debt free now and I'll enjoy reading the next part of your journey :).

I will also miss Debenhams as I like their kitchenware department and it's good having so much variety under one roof. I think ours is still open (for now). A lot of people will miss it I think and you wonder what will happen to the empty premises..                  
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport