Must try harder!

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,537 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The only thing that ever worked for me was WW. I had more or less tried everything. It totally re-educated me re portion sizes. It’s all about finding the right thing for you. I’ve been at goal or thereabouts for 22 years so must be doing something right. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The only thing that ever worked for me was WW. I had more or less tried everything. It totally re-educated me re portion sizes. It’s all about finding the right thing for you. I’ve been at goal or thereabouts for 22 years so must be doing something right. 
    22 years is amazing !
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 2lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,646 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s certainly puzzling as to why you’re not loosing more. I know sw works for me when I stick to it and I don’t feel hungry. I’ve previously lost 2 stone with them but after I lost a lot of weight when I was poorly several years ago and I’d gone too thin, then I  thought I could eat ‘anything’ and couldn’t break the bad habits I’d got back into. I eat out a lot and that is definitely my downfall along with boredom snacking. The weeks I actually stay on plan I do loose. So far I’m hopeful for next week 😁
    I do agree with Beanie as to whether or not you’re eating enough and is your body holding onto fat for fear of not getting enough. I know the app says you are but that’s for an ‘average’ person and as far as I’m aware there’s no such thing. It might be worth getting your thyroid checked (sorry couldn’t remember who suggested it) 
    Poor dog at least she held on 🫶
    January spends - £587.58
  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My understanding of weight loss is that if you aren't being significantly more active at the same time as cutting down on calories then your body will retain as much as possible because it thinks you're going into a famine situation and is trying to protect you!

• WinterWarrior
    Options
    Thanks for everybody’s insights. It’s really odd as I don’t feel hungry as I am having regular meals and bulking up with salad and veg, so I feel like my body shouldn’t think there’s a famine. I did over 13k steps yesterday and over 10k steps today, but I’ll be back to much less during the week. I shall keep on next week, but then it’s holidays the week after where I will have 4 days of meals out and puddings 😁 if I put a stone on I’ll be outraged 🤭
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 2lb so far

• BalanceBy50
    BalanceBy50 Posts: 467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @WinterWarrior what about more protein? Recently diagnosed as diabetic and the advice seems to be much more protein than anything else. I am struggling as I am a complete carb fiend! Xx

• WinterWarrior
    Options
    @WinterWarrior what about more protein? Recently diagnosed as diabetic and the advice seems to be much more protein than anything else. I am struggling as I am a complete carb fiend! Xx

Thank you bb, I too am a carb fiend. I’m sorry about your diagnosis. I know of two people who reversed their numbers, so it is possible. One was pre diabetic and smashed it with diet alone. The other is on medication, joined a gym and followed a strict diet and exercise plan and a year in is well on the way to curing herself. It’s terribly hard and I have so much admiration for their dedication. It was another friend being diagnosed (who sadly is getting worse and worse) that made me think a lot about my weight. Protein is a good shout. I know it’s basic, but I will add eggs to my salad lunches in place of avocado this week as a start 😬

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nice to have a week off to look forward to!  Well done on the loss.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think the more protein thing is a good shout. Apparently it gets harder for us to absorb protein as we get older so I try to add some version of it to every meal or snack whenever I can. Also a complete carb fiend here too but I have cut back massively, or if I have it I try to eat high fibre versions. It’s not always possible but helpful when I can. 

KK
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 19 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 17th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback