Found my birth mother !

15678911»

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not sure from your last post whether you have now decided to take the forums collective advice.

Based on previous actions I'll presume not for the purpose of this post 

How will you feel when the police arrive on your doorstep with an allegation of harassment.

They won't care an ounce for your birth story or your adoption story. They will see an older lady repeatedly being contacted my someone she has made clear she doesn't want contact with (the last however many years since your birth are evidence enough so an argument that it's a few letters and chocolates won't wash)

Surely being investigated for harassment would be even more upsetting.

Based on this thread the police would support the victim (who would be your birth mother in this scenario)

Why be that person that you despise (your adoptive mother) as these are her traits based on what you have told us about her.
  • AntoMac
    AntoMac Posts: 1,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I’ve never been in a position close to what you have gone through @MrsStepford so don’t feel qualified to offer advice.
    I just wanted to wish you well with whatever you do and whatever decision you end up taking.  Programmes like Long Lost Families nearly always show a happy ending and real life doesn’t always mirror that unfortunately.
    None of what happened all those years ago is your fault. I understand how you feel when I try to put myself in your position. 
    You have much to be happy about and grateful for and I hope you can concentrate your efforts on those areas. Good luck. 

27/5/17 Mort 64705 BTs 1904031/12/17 Mort 59815 BT 1673007/04/20 Mort 49208 BT 1572128/07/20 Mort 47387 BT 1263414/11/20 Mort 45905 BT 10134 20/05/21 Mort 42335 BT 686811/08/22 Mort 32050 BT 2915Sealed Pot Challenge 16 Number 5
  • I do think the comments on this post now need to stop.

I think many have given good advice and hope the OP understands most mean well.

Considering this lady does have many unresolved issues and has said she is seeking help for them, we all need to take a step back and let her move on.

MFW -  01 10 21. £63761 01.10.22 £50962 01.10.23 £39979

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I do think the comments on this post now need to stop.

Considering this lady does have many unresolved issues and has said she is seeking help for them, we all need to take a step back and let her move on.

The OP can contact MSE and request that this thread be removed.
    Given that the OP deleted her original post and replaced it with 'please delete this thread' back in April but has continued to post indicates that she wishes to continue the discussion.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat said:
    I do think the comments on this post now need to stop.

The OP can contact MSE and request that this thread be removed.
    Given that the OP deleted her original post and replaced it with 'please delete this thread' back in April but has continued to post indicates that she wishes to continue the discussion.
    I also think it's good as it's other people posting, not the same people over and over. Everyone is sharing their experience. 
    Some maybe be searching for something similar and can contribute.

The irony of a post saying  I do think the comments on this post now need to stop.  Isn't lost on me 🤣
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Maskface
    Maskface Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    My husband's daughter had to be adopted through absolutely no fault of his. I found her looking for him, online. Had to tell her that her mother had died of cancer, but was able to put her in touch with father, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins. My husband and I talked about it for many hours.

I wrote a letter to my birth mother, which took me days. It needed to be simple, clear and show her with proof, that I'm her daughter. I did start by telling how I got started on family tree research and dropping unambiguous clues eg mentioning everything but the person's name, until I got the cousin she's in touch with, sending me a photo of her grandparents with her father. 

I put in photos of original records and certified copies. Birth certificate, adoption certificate, signed permission for polio immunisation, given by her plus a letter from the man who adopted me, confirming receipt of the baby (names) date of birth, sent to the children's officer at the county council.

I don't think she will write, because I suspect that when my adoptive father persuaded (bullied?) her into giving me up, he might have given her money to tide her over until she could work again. Then, that would have made it a fraudulent adoption, even though  we might think it a kind thing to do. I don't know how they hoodwinked the adoption society into giving me to him, without letting slip that they knew each other, when two other families were interested in me (I have the file notes). 

.I have my husband, I can do my tree and all the other relatives I have discovered have been very warm and welcoming. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if she rejects me. I will ask my cousin to get her to send my photos back. My mother's loss. After all, if she hadn't given in to my adoptive father and had picked a different family, I wouldn't have been abused. 

I'm not excited. I'm more excited to hit it off with my cousin, who is warm and bubbly and smart. 

Clearly changed your mind on that bit. I thought you said ultimately it doesn't matter to you if she rejects you? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback