Elnur Gabarron Heaters

Options
12346»

Comments

• Chantsquad
    Options
    Thanks for your post. That is really useful. Also i managed to find the installation manual where it tells you how to adjust the balancing element settings as there is no mention of this in the other operating instruction manual. I have made the same adjustments as yourself & hopefully this will make a big difference. Thanks again 
  • Getferret
    Getferret Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Set the heaters using the installation manual first (reset to default then you know your starting fresh), then work through the user manual to program how you want them to work.

I confirm adjusting the balancing element setting and adjusting the overheat setting has made a noticeable reduction in kWh used in the evenings at peak rate therefore much reduced costs.  

Since making the change my total usage has reduced to even less than the 15 year old Credas without feeling any less colder.  The weather has also been much colder the last couple of days compared to when mine were installed three weeks ago and not programmed for my liking.

I asked Elnur in a further email, if the initial charge setting was worth changing from the default ST80 to 90 or 100. Elnur replied…. 

Your heater can take a full charge within the 7hour period and can be changed from 80 to 90-100. It depends on what the heat loss is in your room that the heater is in which is why it might be using your balancing element. 
    Have you noticed a red dot in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen when the fan is on? This will indicate the balancing element is on, which is on your more expensive rate, and this is used to help give a boost to your room. 
  • chezpt
    chezpt Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options

Hello,

This is my first post! I had two Elnur Gabarron heaters installed in my studio flat in April 2023 as part of a government-funded scheme (should I mention its name?). The heaters are an ECOHHR40 in the living room and an ECOHHR20 in the hallway, on Economy 7. I usually work from home.

I’m grateful to previous posters who pointed to the installation and user manual for the general settings (in my copy, section 3.8). I’d like to offer some experiences after experimenting for some while.

I only made light use of the heater to begin with as it was spring, but I found that with the default P06 (max hours for balancing element) of 5, this element was being used for several hours a day whereas the main element was not charging very much overnight, resulted in more kWh for daytime usage than expected.

I then tried setting P06 to 0 (and also increasing P07), as suggested on this thread, but that led to excessive charging at night. So, I got in touch with Elnur UK technical support, who have been polite and responsive throughout.

Specifically about setting P06=0, I was advised that this is not recommended as it turns off the smart function (e.g., automatic adjustments for comfort based on temperature sensor readings), so their initial suggestion was to change PO6 to 1 which still keeps the smart function enabled whilst using the minimum on the balancing element.

So, I have set P06 to 1 and during the day I adjust the daytime (‘sun’) temperature, e.g., reducing it when going out. The meter readings consistently show that the proportion of night to daytime usage increasing, as expected. I have found that this arrangement generally works well for my needs; the heat retention is very good, usually with sufficient capacity in the evenings without having to introduce additional heating.

The main limitation in design (in my view) is the way that the heater deals with sudden drops in temperature. The percentage of the main charge stored, as indicated by the reading Stnn (nn a two digit number), only seems to increase/decrease by 10% per day. Assuming this is the case, it’s left to the balancing element to compensate. This is what Elnur UK said:

Of course there are going to be days where the weather has a sudden drop in temperature and that is what the balance element is used for and why it is really defaulted at 5 as 1 or 2 may not be enough as the heater can only monitor what’s going on for that day it takes its charge according to that.

I have actually kept the setting at 1 and with a sudden drop have found that it does mean a bit of shortfall for one or two evenings. On these occasions, I have the option of a portable oil-filled radiator. But I think a better solution would be for the smart function to allow the 'St' amount to be increased/decreased in larger steps at each overnight charge.

Overall, the new heater serves me well and is definitely a significant improvement on the 40+ year old Creda I had before. I estimate the costs are comparable with the old heater, but the main difference is the heat retained in the evenings. Just to add that I typically set my ‘sun’ temperature to around 18 or 19 degrees C, which may be lower than average.

• tk60
    tk60 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I have the elnur garbonn heaters brand new last year what an error of judgment that was! Previously had normal nightstorage heaters which were brilliant and only used cheaper night rate electricity. These new things use both day and night electricity and are costing me about £8 a day, and I'm cold when I come home from work. I have spoken to elnur who said lounge heater probably undersized. I did originally purchased the bigger one but it was huge so sent back and ordered 2kw same as before. Elnur told me to go into setting para UPO8 and put it to 0 this stops it taking day rate electricity. As for working like an old nightstorage it's not as good still cold but not skint and cold. I'll get a little fan heater and put on for a couple of hours. Will have to get a loan to put in Gas central heating at least I'll be warm next year. As for an electric car no chance! Got in this afternoon only used £2.60 in electric now,  I don't use the oven and only do washing in cheap rate time, also only turn water tank on once a week, so these weren't costing anything. Good luck anyone who has these, I wished I'd saved the £1000 + and just borrowed the rest to get central heating.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback