Easyjet Prepaid Card out of service

in Credit Cards
47 replies 6.1K views

Replies

• jockie180jockie180 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    As I said previously, I put my easyjet cash card (loaded with Euros) in to a UK ATM (actually a NatWest bank). ATM showed the balance in Euros and Pounds. I withdrew the balance to the nearest £5 in Sterling. No problems at all. Obviously you have to know the correct PIN associated with the card.
    Previous comment:
    I took Easyjet's advice and used a UK ATM. At the ATM you could see the balance in € and £. Took all my money out in GBP but lost a bit on exchange as didn't take money out in €. It's a load off my mind having notes in my hand and not having to wait a month by claiming a balance.
    Picking up StuartFrank's point about Pin not working make sure you use a mainstream bank (I used Natwest) and not an ATM in a shop.
  • MYSTIFIED1MYSTIFIED1 Forumite
    10 Posts
    10 Posts
    Many thanks for responses.  You get a different story every time you contact this organisation.  I appreciate that I was confused between Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland so can see why the Halifax machine didn't work.  However, I was also unsuccessful using the Nat West machine which others seem to have managed with.  The first lady I spoke to said I should use HSBC, RBS, Nationwide or Barclays.  I will have to journey a considerable distance to find one of these but would prefer to do this rather than going down the email route.   I'm not sure who I'm dealing with (even though the number given does correspond to that on the card) so I am reluctant to send the bank statement via e mail.   In any case I don't have the technology to do it.  The last person I spoke to said I would have to find a machine capable of dealing with euros such as those found at airports.  Again not possible for me.  Has anyone managed to withdraw the funds in sterling by using an ordinary ATM (one which dispenses sterling only) from one of the 4 banks mentioned? I was told by yet another member of their staff that my card had been blocked because I had been using the wrong machine.  I feel that they are fobbing me off so that I will have no choice but applying for the bank transfer.  They say they are not allowed to reimburse via cheque.  What a nightmare.  I would be very grateful for any more infomation anyone has.  Thank you
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just spoken to them again to clarify situation about ATMs.  Was told it was necessary to use a machine capable of dealing with euros such as those found at airports!  As i do not have access to one my only recourse is to send the bank statement via email.  My bank has advised against this so I don't  think I can take the risk.  I am not convinced the emails are genuine.  I would be immensely grateful to hear from anyone who has applied for refund via email.  None of this feels right.  There is no mention on the easyjet site that the service has discontinued and whilst links to the currencycard site still appear they no longer work.  Has anyone had any luck with the Financial Services Authority?  There are so many incidences of fraudsters that you can't  be too careful.  

I highly doubt your bank has advised against this. A random bank employee may have done, but they may not have understood the question or may have no idea what they're talking about. 

I'm fairly certain there would have been a mainstream bank offering FX free conversions at the time you got this. But my point was just that you've been paying fees all these years anyway, there's no point in getting worked up about doing so one more time - not a criticism that you weren't savvy enough etc.
  • Bunny19Bunny19 Forumite
    11 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Callum9999 presumably I got the same random bank employee instructing not to send statement copies.
    What fees? My Easyjet card has never had fees. Money transferred at better rate than exchange before holidays, payments or cash out in Europe. That's why I used it. 

• MYSTIFIED1MYSTIFIED1 Forumite
    10 Posts
    10 Posts
    I agree with Bunny19 that the Easyjet card was satisfactory.  Just a pity we are having to jump through so many hoops to retrieve our funds.  I would have expected Easyjet to have posted a notification on their webpage.  After all they were the ones who got us involved in this mess.  We were notified last year that the supplier of the card was changing to Railsbank’s subsidiary PayrNet Limited.  This does not seem to be  the organisation who is involved in the emails.  The telephone number they gave is the same as that shown on the card itself but how can we be sure who  is at the other end of the emails.  It would be foolish to go against the bank's advice as they would repudiate any liability for consequent loss.  Has anyone out there managed to get a refund via the email route or via a standard ATM owned by Barclays, HSBC, Nationwide or RBS?  I would be grateful for any input.  They seem to be fobbing people off until time runs out and they pull the plug. Thanks everyone
  • WombatkeeperWombatkeeper Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello Mystified. Got my refund via the email route last week - arrived after six weeks. Payrnet were named on the bank transfer. 
    11 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Wombatkeeper, did you let them have the 3 months of bank statements they require? Did they acknowledge your claim? Any indication of bank charges in the transaction or the exchange rate used, please? Many thanks for any other info. I've had several fruitless e-mails, but my questions get ignored and they just repeat earlier instructions!  
  • WombatkeeperWombatkeeper Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    No Buny19 just the scan of  first page of one bank statement which has a summary of my account - account number, sort code, address. Yes they acknowledged my claim straightaway but then took 6 weeks to process it. Had about 48 Euro left in the account and received about £41.
    11 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thank you Wombatkeeper. I can't see why those responsible for clearing up this mess find it so difficult to give clear answers, or any in some cases! 
    11 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I have now received confirmation that the transfer of funds will not incur any charges, while withdrawal of cash at an ATM may be subject to that bank's charges and also that a full statement is not required, just the parts showing name and address, with the account details.
    Payrnet, a subsidiary of Railsbank, are handling these closures.
    I hope this helps anyone else still unsure about how to proceed.