Can I return a faulty tablet after 18 months?

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    <Proposed Resolution: As this issue has been happening since customer first bought the iPad,>
    That may be good enough for CR route via Argos .
    But that isn't an "independent report" is it?  The Apple "genius" doesn't know that - it's just what the OP has told them!  They haven't identified the cause of the fault.

The OP needs a written report from Apple saying the problem is caused by an inherent fault which was present in the machine at the time of sale.  Kudos to Apple if they do that...

Sorry i thought that was an Apple inspection report .

• Anteater23
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    JJ_Egan said:
    <Proposed Resolution: As this issue has been happening since customer first bought the iPad,>
    That may be good enough for CR route via Argos .
    But that isn't an "independent report" is it?  The Apple "genius" doesn't know that - it's just what the OP has told them!  They haven't identified the cause of the fault.

The OP needs a written report from Apple saying the problem is caused by an inherent fault which was present in the machine at the time of sale.  Kudos to Apple if they do that...

Sorry i thought that was an Apple inspection report .

That was a report from Apple. But important details that they said to me verbally (about them believing I bought it like that) was left out.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Manxman beat me to it!

And yes, if you are charged for the report but it does show the fault as inherent then Argos should pay for it.  I say should, as they must, but getting them to acknowledge it may be a tough uphill fight, but legislation is on your side (if the fault is inherent). 
  • Anteater23
    Options

And yes, if you are charged for the report but it does show the fault as inherent then Argos should pay for it.  I say should, as they must, but getting them to acknowledge it may be a tough uphill fight, but legislation is on your side (if the fault is inherent). 
    I honestly don’t know how I can get them to revise their statement - even though the key details WERE stated to me verbally. They didn’t charge me for the report last time.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options

I honestly don’t know how I can get them to revise their statement - even though the key details WERE stated to me verbally. They didn’t charge me for the report last time.
    Did they open your ipad up and look inside?

• Anteater23
    Options

One thing noticed is the Apple “Genius bar” report says it is not a VAT invoice at the bottom.

Argos online customer service says the Apple employee needs to be registered and have a VAT number. Whatever that means?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

One thing noticed is the Apple “Genius bar” report says it is not a VAT invoice at the bottom.

Argos online customer service says the Apple employee needs to be registered and have a VAT number. Whatever that means?
    Your first issue is getting a report which shows the item is inherently faulty.  Do not worry about what Argos are saying they need.  A report from Apple is more than a trump card, Apple are the manufacturer and therefore the biggest expert.
  • Anteater23
    Options

Your first issue is getting a report which shows the item is inherently faulty.  Do not worry about what Argos are saying they need.  A report from Apple is more than a trump card, Apple are the manufacturer and therefore the biggest expert.
    Thanks. If you have tips for me to get a revised statement with everything they said verbally then I’d be grateful to hear them.
    I suppose a letter from Apple would be more than enough to at least go to small claims court.

One other thing, I recall speaking to an Apple support colleague on live-chat about touch problem I was experiencing with my iPad (about a month after I bought it). I’m messaged the Apple privacy team if they can source the transcript for me. Do you think this is substantial evidence at all to show I’m not making all this up?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

Thanks. If you have tips for me to get a revised statement with everything they said verbally then I’d be grateful to hear them.
    I suppose a letter from Apple would be more than enough to at least go to small claims court.

One other thing, I recall speaking to an Apple support colleague on live-chat about touch problem I was experiencing with my iPad (about a month after I bought it). I’m messaged the Apple privacy team if they can source the transcript for me. Do you think this is substantial evidence at all to show I’m not making all this up?
    You need a report, not just passing comment.  The report needs to show the fault and the cause.  The fault needs to be inherent at time of purchase- not caused by anything you have done since having it.  

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

A live chat is unlikely to hold any weight as that’s purely based on your reports of the issue, when Argos will probably require evidence of a physical inherent fault with the iPad which meant it was bound to fail from the start. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback