Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,808
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Can you tip it slightly and wodge a big stone or something under it? Give gravity a chance to drain it?
    In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,191
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Farway said:

Survived without damage, still tipping down this morning and one of my large pots at the front has turned into water butt, guessing the drain holes have blocked up, probably bunged up with drowned vine weevil larvae :s

I too have a pot full of water and can't decide what to do.  Too heavy and big to tip up and presume the roots of my plant have found their way out through the drain hole at the bottom, clogging it up 😿

Any suggestions on what I should do? 🐈
    Depends on the type and value of the pot! I might carefully drill some holes near the base if it's plastic. Start small and enlarge if plastic might be brittle.

How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,313
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 April 2023 at 6:25PM
    Blue, that looks like a Crocosmia. Flowers August when not much else does but hard to get rid of. There are some lovely new varieties like Lucifer.. put it in a corner and see what happens. You never know.
    Turned out grey and not freezing so thats a bonus  :)
    Hi blackcat, can you tip it on its side - and then cross your fingers. A lot drains to the side then and most drains out.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Crocosmia... Will I put them in a pot if they're hard to get rid of? I planted them in front of my rose - thinking being if the bulbs are only little they might not grow big (if at all, they were very dry) so they'd be a nice base round the rose :) I'll lift them and pot them.

I've *ahem* a few spare pots cos we went to B+M yesterday after dropping mil back at the home. Might have bought the odd few bits.... some sad red tulips but the leaves are stripey (!), a few pots of pretty little somethings in blue and white, and 3 tall somethings that are not called cystitis :D Ill be needing the pots for all them toms ha haa!

Lovely dawn here, and a beautiful peachy moon when I got up. Makes my heart smile :blush:
    In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,191
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Cytisus, I presume, Blue Eyes? I have one, but being raised from seed, acquired 'somewhere ;) ,' it may not be tall. At present it appears to be flopping about, which means finding it a place where flopping's attractive, I suppose.
    Not all crocosmias are large, but those certainly look like them. They could just be the small ones that people call montbretia. Invasive? Well, good doers, but they won't take over in a season.
    Lovely Dawn here too, but I didn't see her this morning. I spotted a couple of greenfinches on the feeders, though, which is encouraging after the decline in recent times. Yesterday, my DD saw two swallows. That's unusual before her birthday in the 2nd week of April, so another positive.
    Might get a walk today. DD did 20k steps yesterday apparently. Whatever that is, it won't be that far!
     How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,010
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Nice sunny start this morning

BC, the tide has gone out in my large pot, presumably just seeped away overnight, so I've left it alone. I had thought about standing it on feet but, like your pot, large & heavy so would be hard work

If the sun keeps out it may warm up enough for me to get out & potter, I think I'm going to plant out the Cone Flowers I bought in Home Bargains earlier this year, they have grown in their pots so need to get going out soon

Yesterday while checking on the tide in my pot I found the first of this year's lily beetles, the first sign of Spring. I have some killer spray so will find that, last year I had daily seek & destroy hunts, which kept them at bay, I hope to do the same this year

The magnolia two doors down is magnificent in the sunshine, such a nice time of year

YBE, I love crocosmia, depends on space, but I've not found them very invasive and the flowers last forever, with the seed pods also having architectural merit. Not sure how they would do in a pot, somewhere I've read they pull themselves down deeper as they grow
    I have Lucifer, here's a pic from last year

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Ooh that is attractive Farway, I'll be happy if mine look like that. Hopefully they won't be too tall tho cos I've planted them in front of a rose. Ah we'll see what transpires. They might decide to die yet.

Cytisus - yep that's it. I bought 3 and got em planted yesterday. Lovely neighbour has one and says they get a few feet tall so I hope they're in right. I'll go take a pic. I got one called goldfinches. Are you still out there @goldfinches

Oh and also - speaking of things being the wrong colour. I found the card packet thing that my lovely yellow fritilaria (?) came in, it's apparently a "Red Baron" and is a most attractive red colour in the picture. Swines. Some people really don't care.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    I like the 3 wee blue and white ones I bought, I hope they go mad :) 

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,313
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Another sunnyish day? Temperatures are going from 14-4c! Thought there may be frost last night it was so cold this morning.
    It's left the ground wet so we'll see how it goes.

Brocolli seeds have germinated but they are very reliable. Fingers crossed for the rest  :)

Your garden is beginning to look exciting now Blue. Will be interesting to see it as it blooms.
    Only thing yesterday was seeing a pretty Montana clematis with dark pinnky blue flowers. It didn't look as rampant as the usual one. Hmmmmmm. Morrisons today?

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    I know, I can't wait for it all to get going! It looks a bit gappy and sparse just at the minute, but I'm hoping I've got stuff right so it fills itself in :) I'll take pics as things happen. It's really all down to yous, I wouldn't be half as bothered about which particular plants etc without this guidance and tips. I really do appreciate it :blush:

Beautiful moon here first thing, it was like a torch in the dark sky. Lovely. Sunny here but not at all warm. 

Mmm broccoli, I love broccoli, especially the stalks. I've got enough on with my tom forest tbh, I don't need to be adding anything to it ha haa!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback