Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,785
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Well the rain clouds have just started coming over us, so I've put my tray of tom seeds out for a splash. They'll not be out there long mind cos it's cold here now! Windows are in but not finished, tomorrow off, then back monday morning. Hopefully the weather's better. 

I'm a bit like 2p, it's wet and miserable here. Mind you my trees aren't anywhere near in bud. I hope yours are alright...  So is that you flooded Dusty?  Your water-butt-pot might be the death knell for them larvae eh Farway! Every cloud... :)  If you want your canna seeds to grow maybe try my tom seedlings system. I tell them, with feeling, that they're not all to keep growing, and I want half of them to die. At least half really. Preferably overnight but as long as it's quick cos I truly am gonna end up with a forest otherwise.
    The proud owner of the first silicone breast implant was a dog called Esmeralda.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    State of them - a few of them have done as instructed but I’ll still be giving loads away! 

The proud owner of the first silicone breast implant was a dog called Esmeralda.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,172
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It stopped raining around 2pm and the day is ending with some much appreciated sunshine. :D We aren't flooded anywhere, although our stream with its waterfall has been going like mad. The water's been quite brown, too, because the contractors ploughed or did something like that last week. So, the road's not only potholed; it has the added skill test of a skid pan surface to catch people out on the swerves.  >:)
    Luckily, our house can't flood. We sit on a ridge between two valleys; a large and a small one. The fields drain into the small valley, so we get a bit of everything, including a frost pocket, but no permanent bog. I'd really like a river or a big pond, but that has to be for the next life now! :'(
    That's fine germination, Blue Eyes. I've overwatered my toms, much as usual. We will have enough, I'm sure. Having a proper cook living with us this year, I've focused more than usual on the big ones.
     How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,293
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Well it  stopped raining and bloomed but has started again. Now it's clear skies so the temperature has dropped! You really can't win.
    I too have left my seeds to the rain, a gentle water.
    The flowers are doing fine but the veg never recovered from last years deluge and drought so are a bit pathetic which means my view from the kitchen is barren. So looking at something to cheer it up for next year.
    It's always going to be better next year - a gardeners optimism :D
    Bought some handles and hinges from the cheapie shop (Proper Job) to use on my pretend gate - which is still standing - hoping it will make it look more realistic.
    They (the drunkards) are promising dry weather for the next week. Wonder if that's enough to dry it out and straighten up my little tree?
    Some cheery photos

The dwarf narcissi are a surprise. They were in a load of bulbs I dug out of pots and dried. Don't remember getting them. I did have some Bride something fluffy narcissi in a pot, wonderfully scented but they've gone awol. I wonder if this is a naturalised version?

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    The drunkards are promising the same here 2p, sunny and calm ish and dry, but not very warm. We'll see. I hope your little tree is ok :) 

I like your narcissi and tulips. My wee ones have nearly done but the big daffs are ok ish. No tulips out here yet but the leaves are all up. I'll have a check later when I'm out for the next carrot harvest. I'll have to look and see what you can do with them - something edible I mean - cos I do have a lot of em...
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,293
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    The tulips are Poundland £1 specials and some years old. While I often desire the fancy ones in pots these are such cheerful colours on dull March days.
    The blistering sunshine predicted by Blues friends hasn't appeared yet. Dark cloud followed by grey so i cleaned the soap draw in the washing machine instead of putting a wash on.
    Still too wet to get on the garden. The baby tree is a little more upright so fingers crossed. I should prune it a tad but it hides the neighbours windows just nicely for the first time.
    Greencombe gardens open now. I must pop over and get my season ticket. I'll post a photo later. Farway has seen it all before :)

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 12,995
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I see what you mean about too many toms YBE, yep, that's a lot :o

Dull weather again, but the rain has stopped and likewise some sunshine promised next week

Those tulips are early birds, I have just leaves so far, but have high hopes for hyacinths with buds just opening. If timed right, they should open in next week's sunshine and waft scent down my front steps

My plum blossom is still closed and safe, but has some white tips showing, so if sun arrives the blossom will follow next week

My Achillea seedlings will be PIA to pot on, one I never really expected to do so well, and now I have a nightmare, I suspect I'll pot on about a dozen or so and plant the rest in clumps somewhere in the volunteer border, where they can like it or die trying

The toms are going well, too many but at least under control

Achillea. True leaves just starting

Tomatoes Top left are the small sweet cherry ones from a West Country supplier late of this Parish

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,172
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    twopenny said:

Greencombe gardens open now. I must pop over and get my season ticket. I'll post a photo later. Farway has seen it all before :)
    Maybe we'll come over there when the erythroniums are out. Paths might be a bit dodgy for OH, but we'll see. She'll have had her op by then. Otherwise, it's a trek around Hawkcombe or similar with my fitness friend. We're envious of all the Exmoor walks you Somerset folks have hidden away over there. You might only have 1/3 of the Moor, but you've definitely nabbed the best bits! :)
    Grey here, but calm and dry. Young people have set off on a local trek to the forest and back, but I'm saving my energy and hoping to play catch-up with the weeds. ;)
     How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Like it or die trying - that made me laugh 😁

I’ve only quickly popped on to post a mystery. You know how they say you should pile stones in threes if you get lost so people can follow your trail? Well look what I just dug up all stuck together (I’m carrot harvesting). I don’t know what they are but I’ll separate and plant them anyway. Oh and I’ve turned up loads of wee golden ants ☹️ so I’ve lashed the place in ant powder 🤞🏻 Gawd I don’t want an ant problem! 

• Black_Cat2
    Black_Cat2 Posts: 558
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Farway said:

Survived without damage, still tipping down this morning and one of my large pots at the front has turned into water butt, guessing the drain holes have blocked up, probably bunged up with drowned vine weevil larvae :s
    Hi all, lurking in the background enjoying the chat/pics x

I too have a pot full of water and can't decide what to do.  Too heavy and big to tip up and presume the roots of my plant have found their way out through the drain hole at the bottom, clogging it up 😿

Any suggestions on what I should do? 🐈
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport