We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,326 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Hammering down with gale force winds. Thunder storms forecast. Warmth (11c!) Making dense cloud hanging over the hills.
    Trip for greengage not good. The ones they had were poor but I did get sungold toms, a bit weedy and leaves had a touch of black. Mght have been the cold. So im keeping them seperate till i see how they go.
    Also picked up more gold and silver thyme because they looked healthy and last years aren't big enough for the jar i need through winter.
    Waas very tempted by lidl Bouganvillia. I've always wanted one but no way to get it through a winter.
    Have you considered Hibiscus as a second choice? The flowers are showy but not a climber

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I’ve just fetched my washing in cos it’s bone dry already :smiley:

Here’s my toms. Bit of a squiggly pic cos I’ve tried to get everything in. I’m gonna end up with a bladdy forest of em aren’t I…. 

Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew.
  • Nelliegrace
    Options
    Hoping we don’t get frost or hail because the apricot tree is in blossom. 
    We had 2 apricots in 202, 20 apricots last year. I do want to make apricot jam this year. 
    I like fruit trees. When they have covered the initial cost, every crop is a bonus.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Poor forecast here overnight. Mind you it gave rain all day so I put a wash on - it's out on the line now in the beautiful sunshine. Take that drunkards :p 
    They have all that technology stuff, but if they're like the rest of us round here, they'll ignore it, say, “Oh, us'll use that dreckly,” stick their head out the window instead and then extrapolate! It's been raining here, on and off, for many days now. :(
    If anyone's interested, Lidl have their long-running, long-reach hedge trimmer in today @£70. I'm replacing mine, although it's not quite broken after 7 years.

The two most important days of your life are: the day you were born, and the day you find out why.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    "Oh, us'll use that dreckly" Beautiful :) That puts you a bit further south than I am.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Nelliegrace if necessary you can make apricot jam with dried apricots..........following what you say because I'd love apricots but have been warned off by disease and such with them..
    "dreckly" well Dustyevesky that puts you in my neck of the woods :)Have you seen the Cornish weather stone?
    Blue great about the washing. If you have too many plants put them out for sale for charity or just for neighbours. They do that a lot around here. Loads of money for the Air Ambulance and Homestart.
    Farway, I tried Hibiscus. Flowerd like mad for my neighbour but not for me. Years I waited and I'm not that enamoured. The Bouganvillia takes me to lovely holidays and my time in Oz. Just one of those things :)
    We got some dry and sun and it got very warm, I'm talking teeshirt weather.
    Bought a meah type red jasmine from Morries for £2.50. I don't really like them but they grow like Topsie and give a greenish look to my huge orange fence. Maybe take cuttings and grown them down the alley to disguise the fence there as they retain green stems in winter and don't become bushy so good for clothing a fence.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Dustyevsky
    Options
    "Oh, us'll use that dreckly" Beautiful :) That puts you a bit further south than I am.
    Where the Met is, almost everywhere is 'up north,' even Taunton! :D They should be in the middle; like Coventry ;) But we should  include that lot those fine folk over the Wall, which would mean a central base somewhere in Northumberland. Wouldn't that be closer to you? Hopefully, you'd get more accuracy.
    Be warned, though, if we send them up there, they'll put house prices up by a mile! I remember it well; we started looking for a place down here in 2001. Suddenly, in 2002, we were priced-out. The agent said, “It's the Met; they're coming down from Bracknell.”  Must admit, having Bracknelled a few times, I couldn't blame them.
    The two most important days of your life are: the day you were born, and the day you find out why.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Don’t be sending em up yet, we’re looking to move! 

I’ll have to check a map. I might actually be closer to Northumberland than I am to you… 
  • Dustyevsky
    Options
    Hmm, every hourly box on my weather forecast till 02.00 reads heavy rain; all of it with high winds. :| There seem to be very few places that might escape this scenario, even for an hour or two. To me, it looks like a classic depression centred on Birmingham, just like the ones we did for O levels. There's probably a point where it feels calm, like the middle of a tornado.....Cadbury World, perhaps? I could be calm in there. <3
    So, no gardening today, but I will unpack my Lidl long reach hedge trimmer. Not being an influencer, I won't make a TikTok video about it. o:)
    You want to move Blue Eyes? Thought you were just settling-in? You're not one of those property flippers are you? :o
  • Dustyevsky
    Options
    twopenny said:
    "dreckly" well Dustye ;) vesky that puts you in my neck of the woods :)Have you seen the Cornish weather stone?
    I've been to Crapstone; does that count? It's very nice there, and staying on-topic, just down the lane is The Garden House. An interesting fact I probably ought not to tell people is that a public footpath goes right through The Garden House garden.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback