We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It was dull and showery here yesterday so more inside decluttering done and a visit to three charity shops (to drop of not buy)

YoungBlueEyes You were busy ;) . Good luck with the job application. When I left school, early '70s, I worked at a nursery where they grew tomatoes. I think they did a lot of cross pollinating and seed collecting so not a huge commercial scale. That wasn't my department but I do remember being interested. I expect the process had changed beyond recognition. 

Today I'm aiming to !!!!!! out various seedlings, take some cuttings and organise the greenhouse so I get my dining room windowsill and table back. I shall plant potatoes in the allotment just to keep the soil turned over and the rest will depend on timings and where I am. I'm hoping for news about that so can't say more

The sun is out already!
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    No sun here, misty & damp so postponed trip to buy compost, more fun indoors

YBE, hope job application goes well, the only tomato picking I've seen was in huge greenhouses and the pickers were up in the sky using "cherry picker" jibs because the toms were trained up & along, miles of them

I think today I'll pot up the cannas I started in water in the airing cupboard, they don't seem to have progressed much since the white root sprouted and this morning I dredged up a memory, maybe false, that some roots "need" to feel soil or something to push against before they can grow & know what is Up
    Sounds like one of those quiz questions that could be true. Time will tell

On a slightly more positive note, the Californian poppies sown in the conservatory last week are just poking up, and the Hot Lips I potted on have been drowned in the rain and need draining off before they rot, I'll raise the pots up to drain, especially with more rain due
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Blue you're on a roll!
    Our lidl doesn't have anything like that.
    Morries has gone down the expected route and now selling the cheap plants at double the price so almost no one is buying.

It's gloomy and wet here as usual, although temperatures risen it feels very cold.
    At least my baby tree isn't being blown double.

Was thinking of going on a journey for a healthy greengage and a swim but the persistent gloom makes me want to stay at home.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    I think I might quite like to be a tomato picker. As long as I can just plug my headphones in and get going :)

Now, I am not an expert but, I'm sure I've heard something about you won't get any movement out of some plants 'til their feet are in the soil so they know up from down. I'd just get it planted Farway, and see what occurs. If it goes wrong I'll send you my fritillery thingy :blush:

My nearest Lidl is at Willerby if individual stores show up online...? There was all sorts! I did really well not to just swoosh my arm across whole shelves and fill my trolley with exciting and random goodies. Particularly that frog watering feeder system. 

Been sunshine and showers all day today, far more showers than sunshine. More like 'slightly brighter clouds that temporarily don't have water pishing out of them'. Mild ish though :) 
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

In my Lidl .....
    I bought more little tom plants - Golden Sunrise - cos they looked happy and healthy too. A tray of 6 for £1.99
    Thanks for the intelligence. Needed to go down for foodbank stuff.

I wouldn't have checked the plants outside, spotted trays of chard and peppers and lifted a tray sitting on top of another.

I like Golden Sunrise, has done really well for me in the past, and there was one pack tucked into the back of the lower tray.

Five decent plants and a runt. Will pot them up and swappsie a couple? 

Am also minding a friend's plantlets so the attic is already getting interesting
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • YoungBlueEyes
    I think they only caught my eye cos they're healthier than the other ones I bought  (...moneymaker?). That has 2 duds and 4 fairly happy ones. The GS are all v happy and taller and leafier.

Attic? Sounds like a lot of effort. I'm humping pots and trays from the front - SE facing - to the back of my house to follow the sun. You're a good friend to be up and down in the attic!

Mild here this morning and the birds are singing goodo. Blacky especially. I don't know why people go on about other songbirds, for me blacky tops them all. It's a nice dawn here too, the first peachy fingers are just beginning to show :blush:  
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sort of weak sun this morning, but wind already increasing, and the cherry blossom opposite is coming off, and tonight is supposed to be awful, Yellow weather warning here for tonight & tomorrow :o .

I have potted up the canna seeds, I checked about the roots needing soil as well YBE, seems some truth in it, root tip is different from the rest of the root and is the gravity sensing part, so I guess swilling around in water up could be down 24 hours later. Time will tell, now back in airing cupboard in pots of compost

Only gardening is going out & moving my newly potted on Hot Lips before the grotty weather arrives and drowns them

I think I saw a sparrow this morning, may not be a surprise to some, but they do not seem common here, even though DD has zillions near Southampton and use her nesting box
    Sign of the times, I've seen more woodpeckers than sparrows around here, hope the sparrows stay, Used to see them everywhere when I was a lad, but that was not here

My toms on the window sill are doing well so far, must be time for me to knock them onto the floor
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    Hammering down with gale force winds. Thunder storms forecast. Warmth (11c!) Making dense cloud hanging over the hills.
    Trip for greengage not good. The ones they had were poor but I did get sungold toms, a bit weedy and leaves had a touch of black. Mght have been the cold. So im keeping them seperate till i see how they go.
    Also picked up more gold and silver thyme because they looked healthy and last years aren't big enough for the jar i need through winter.
    Waas very tempted by lidl Bouganvillia. I've always wanted one but no way to get it through a winter.

• YoungBlueEyes
    Funny I checked my toms this morning, there's wee shoots coming up! When I finished being giddy about it, I thought "ooh best not drop em like wot Farway did" ha haa! 

Poor forecast here overnight. Mind you it gave rain all day so I put a wash on - it's out on the line now in the beautiful sunshine. Take that drunkards :p 
  • twopenny
    Just paddled out to look at the garden.
    My thymes are bursting into growth. Ah well, good to have back up.

Good luck with the washing Blue!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family