We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Options

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nah not a flipper. The neighbours were... undesirable... but possibly bearable, then a thing happened the other night that made me think "that's game over, we're moving". It's a shame cos the house itself is fine and the area is good, but life's too short to be tolerating scum neighbours.

If I'm ever down that way I'l be sure to look up The Garden House :)

Cool drizzly and dreich here. It was gentle rain last night so I put my toms out in it and today my seedlings have about doubled in size! Looks like not all of them have decided to live but that's fine or I'd be inundated. I'll be selling/giving most of them away anyway. 

Day of 'hurry up and wait' here. The windows are being started today, and Ratman is due this morning too. They both said 8am.....  :/
    Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does that go from opposite the Inn?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    RAS said:
    Does that go from opposite the Inn?
    Yes, well, and through the churchyard in Buckland, but the other end is straight down the drive! It's like a NT property I visited last Saturday; £17 for non-members to enter and then a long walk to reach it, but if you simply want to pray, park in the village and wander a hundred metres into the church entrance, because that's still owned by the Cof E.
    Personally, I think the Garden House is well worth paying for. o:)

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.” Aldous Huxley
  • Dustyevsky
    Options
    Nah not a flipper. The neighbours were... undesirable... but possibly bearable, then a thing happened the other night that made me think "that's game over, we're moving". It's a shame cos the house itself is fine and the area is good, but life's too short to be tolerating scum neighbours.
    Oh, that's a shame. We have neighbour issues too, just now. However, in our case, it's us that's the 'problem!' We have the audacity to be using rights agreed in a deed 34 years ago, and the parties bound by that agreement want to renege on it. They can't, of course, but that doesn't mean they'll give in quietly.
    On topic: rain still battering against the window and the local river looks like it will be out of its banks in a few hours. I may pull some leeks later, having successfully overwintered some very late ones. They've kept growing and look 'normal-sized,' but I'd guess the window for use will be short.

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.” Aldous Huxley
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,339 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Getting battered by wind & rain, some storm named by the French this time so no idea what it's called, but it's not gardening weather
    Luckily the magnolia a few doors own has only just opened its buds so not affected so far, looks lovely even in the rain

Counted my tomatoes, I have nine varieties, 35 total plants, way too many, but I have homes for about twenty I guess. The rest will be given away, there is a local FB giving site, so I know they will go to grateful homes. Last year, someone left me a packet of biscuits in exchange :)

There are a few NT properties around here where you can "sneak in" via a church or public footpath, you can even get into RHS Wisley via a public footpath if you care to, never used that method myself, not because of in built honesty but lack of knowledge & CBA

YBE, hope Ratman gives you the all clear
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Ratman has not yet cometh :(  but the window men are here. Bit wet and breezy to be having my windows out but I'm not stopping them now! They've got some cracking 80's music blasting out tho, so swings and roundabouts ha haa!

I've heard that before about 'secret entry ways' in NT properties but I daren't use them. Also I never know where these things are...  :| 

Neighbour troubles are awful. I've never had issues before, and I'm a patient forgiving person, but.... no. Sadly.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    George Michael's just told me I "gotta have faith" :D 
  • Dustyevsky
    Options
    George Michael's just told me I "gotta have faith" :D 
    With our NFH I prayed he'd win the Lottery. He didn't, but his Dad died and he inherited, so he stopped working. The dogs he left to bark 8 hours a day didn't do that when he was home, and in due course they were replaced with quieter breeds. Also,on topic,  by then my laurel hedge was doing a great barrier job!
    "I've heard that before about 'secret entry ways' in NT properties but I daren't use them." You're like my other half, Farway, but the lady I go on walks with enjoys that sort of mischief. Visiting the NT last weekend was a good compromise; as my wife's carer I got in free, so it was 1/2 price. :)
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    With our NFH I prayed he'd win the Lottery. He didn't, but his Dad died and he inherited, so he stopped working. The dogs he left to bark 8 hours a day didn't do that when he was home, and in due course they were replaced with quieter breeds. Also,on topic,  by then my laurel hedge was doing a great barrier job!
    "I've heard that before about 'secret entry ways' in NT properties but I daren't use them." You're like my other half, Farway, but the lady I go on walks with enjoys that sort of mischief. Visiting the NT last weekend was a good compromise; as my wife's carer I got in free, so it was 1/2 price. :)
    Farway's your other half...? You're not who I thought you were :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,339 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 March 2023 at 10:42AM
    Options
    Farway's your other half...? You're not who I thought you were :D

Shh, we are trying to be discrete >:)
    Talking of carer getting in free, we used to use this visiting Wisley, with the younger grandchildren as my "Carers" as I looked lamely & gormlessly on with my walking stick
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback