Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 12,985
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 April 2023 at 8:25AM
    Bright & sunny, just right for tents, and forecast is set fair as well.

Before I forget, compost, this year, like last, mine's from Home Bargains, Grow More brand, and seems so far, no bark, chunks of plastic or bits of wire. I have used Lidl in the past, and it was mixed results, bark, wire, plastic plus some compost, and it seemed lacking in nutrients, or my results were poor which I put down to that

Since covid, I have not been buying plants, but I liked the Morries or Asda ones on a good day, for really poor ones try Wilko

Fertiliser, anyone watched Clarkson's Farm? He had a barn full bought the previous year, which had jumped so high in price he then had to install a security system to try & prevent theft, like having a barn full of cash. I've not bought any this year but will need some blood F & B soon, I normally get it from Home Bargains, just because it's easy parking and I can find it in the shop

If the weather keeps fine, I may get on & pot on some of my tomatoes today once the sun moves round the back a bit more. My canna from seed are now greening up on the window sill, I have about ten

And, plum blossom opened in the sunshine, at last :) Bees have been spotted nearby

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,773
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Lovely sunny day here, not very warm like, but with a gentle breeze. Himself is painting the fence.... I've warned lovely neighbour to stay out of her garden cos he's doing it with a sprayer jobbie :D 

Good that your cannas have found their feet Farway, that'll be them away now :) The plum blossom is very cheerful, and I bet the bees are happy too eh. My apple tree has wee tiny buds just thinking about coming out so fingers crossed they get planted today too. Nothing on the pear and the leaves aren't as confident so that might be a while yet. The 2 mystery plants I have decided are also fruit trees because the leaves are kinda similar and are coming out at the same rate so they can go along the back fence too and see what transpires. 

I'm not 'helping' with the work for I'm full of lurgy, so I'm chai wallah today. Not wallah, whatever girl is.

I hope everyone's got good weather to happily pootle about in :) 
    The proud owner of the first silicone breast implant was a dog called Esmeralda.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,285
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    The sun is out but it's still in single figures here which is rare and annoying so not a lot has been done.
    Trying to work up the courage to go to the garden centre and spend a lot on a tree and trellis - gulp!
    I'd like some more terracotta edging which has come in after 3yrs but fighting with the mse in me and the'get on and do it, you don't know whats coming next' me.

Sorry to hear about the lurgi Blue. But at least that excuses you from working on the fence  :)
    I seem to have got run down and tired with a cold sore coming. I think it's just the eternal concerns about bills and bathrooms etc plus being cold. 

Wish Farway was a bit nearer with the cuttings business. I never could get more than a hardy shrub to root.
    Saw a standard fig for sale at £169! There's brass in muck

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,629
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Happy big birthday 🎂 Farway! 🥳

I had lidl compost last year and it was ok, dark and not woody , it did the job.
    beautiful sunny day if chilly out of sun. 
    Happy Easter to all.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Thanks 2p. I'm sat on the sofa with laptop and a pile of books, and that's me for the day I reckon. I'll send you some heat so you can perk up and go get terracotta edging :)

£169 for a fig tree?! Jeez that's a bunch of money! Must be a good big one is it? Probably no chance you could walk past it slowly and discover a wee bit had stuck to you...

Happy birthday Farway! I hope you have a lovely day :kissing_smiling_eyes: 
    (Can't work out how to do emojis on my laptop, so imagine champagne glasses clinking, a cake with flickering candles, and a gift tied with a pretty bow :blush:
    The proud owner of the first silicone breast implant was a dog called Esmeralda.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,160
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2023 at 11:30AM
    Good weather here, but the same chill SE wind, so I felt cold in my shirtsleeves at the pannier market in town. Didn't stay, just picked up a 4.5kg chicken and some purple sprouting for tomorrow and headed home again. Now I'm putting-off going out to do some garden work. ;)
    Sorry to hear you have the lurgs, Blue Eyes. I have experience of the real chai, and believe me, it's awful. :s Stick with the PG.stuff!
    Good to hear about all these other 'well-priced' composts. I'll certainly give them a try.
    I saw our remaining plum tree covered in blossom yesterday, so fingers crossed. Storm Eunice finished off the pollinator last year, and the replacements are only maiden whips at present.
     The elephant in the room vanishes when we stop counting elephants.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    PG stuff? You wash your mouth out! It’s Yorkshire Tea in my house, unless Cissie sends me some Punjana then it’s that but I don’t share it, even with himself 😁

I’ve never had proper chai. I’m very fond of the stuff Arabs brew in their shops and give you a glass of when you speak a few words of their language. Hellish sweet though… 
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,160
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2023 at 8:28PM
    PG stuff? You wash your mouth out! It’s Yorkshire Tea in my house, unless Cissie sends me some Punjana then it’s that but I don’t share it, even with himself 😁

I’ve never had proper chai. I’m very fond of the stuff Arabs brew in their shops and give you a glass of when you speak a few words of their language. Hellish sweet though… 
    I was using PG there, like people say 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaner. ;) Your Yorkshire, is well within spec. :) I like one that's annoyingly always on the top shelf, so I sometimes have to ask someone to reach one down for me. :s:smile: Chai made the Indian way appears to be like the Arab stuff; you could almost stand a spoon up in it! Yeurgh!
    No interesting gardening done today, but I noted some very old Rudbeckia seed had germinated, so I'm testing some rocket from 2014 now. Two thalictrums from seed planted in 2021 have come up as well o:)

The elephant in the room vanishes when we stop counting elephants.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,285
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Well the wind dropped in the afternoon again and the temperature almost reasonable.
    False gate hinges and handle and raised, tidied up. Nearly there.
    Jasmine and honeysuckle tied to the fence and the massive rose. Only 2 injuries from that. Bonus.
    Painted some small trellis too despit a loooong phone call from a friend.

I noticed that my rescued summer red rose is in full bud and is growing upwards considerably, the cherry is about to burst into bloom and the wallflowers are a mass of colour and scent.

Call me the wallflower queen! The whole front patch is now giant and perennial wallflowers where they've seeded. All from a couple from a friend who pulls them up after the first flush. Some out the back too.
    They flower all summer and need no watering, bloom in winter too even being evergreen they haven't sucumed to the snow and ice.
    A whole bunch more just growing from fallen seed, I'm planning on transplanting.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Dusty you'll have to start carrying a big stick to hook your teabags down with :D 

Sounds like you've got cracked on Wallflower Queen :blush: I'd love to see some pics...?

Himself had to gout for more paint yesterday aft, and as he was bringing stuff in through the gate the Oracle popped over 'to see if we were ok'. She thinks I need more plants cos it's looking sparse, and the fence might be better colour when it dries..... so that's nice eh :rolleyes: 

Very still + misty morning here, and too cloudy to see the dawn. Cooler than it has been too.

Hope you had a lovely birthday Farway :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback