edited 12 July at 8:19PM in Motoring
67 replies 3.4K views
AdamcAdamc Forumite
204 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
edited 12 July at 8:19PM in Motoring
Hi all 

A family member has gifted my partner some money and she would like to purchase/put it towards a used Range Rover Evoque. 

Having read bits and bobs about them I am slightly worried she may not have anticipated all of the potential costs. 
The service cost is high compared to any car either of us have owned (£400 - £700) and she currently drives a 1 litre small petrol car so I imagine the fuel costs will be at least double. 
The thing that really concerns me is the failure rates and the huge repair bills.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there any other potential costs to watch out for?

At the end of the day it's her money and choice but there are shared outgoings we both need to stay on top of so I really hope they won't be affected by whatever she plans to do. 

Replies

• bigadajbigadaj Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often said that you have to be very wealthy to run a used range/ land rover, certainly without a manufacturers warranty in place.
  • AdamcAdamc Forumite
    204 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    bigadaj said:
    Often said that you have to be very wealthy to run a used range/ land rover, certainly without a manufacturers warranty in place.
    This is what I thought. 
  • PetriixPetriix Forumite
    402 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Persuade her to buy a new e-Niro instead... 
  • DerekvoowoDerekvoowo Forumite
    19 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    lovely car
  • StubodStubod Forumite
    781 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ..not a good way to spend money IMHO. Just look at the reliability ratings, not a car I would want unless, a/ I could afford new and at least have a 3 yr warranty, or b/ I had sufficient ongoing income/funds available to run it.
    ..there must be better / more affordable cars out there?
  • edited 13 July at 8:08AM
    daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 July at 8:08AM
    Everybody I know who has  had one has learnt why Land Rover are bottom of reliability tables.

What I can't understand is they have been bottom for years, its no secret, but people still buy them.

The chances are most used ones are diesels which may not suit her driving pattern so should be avoided if not.  Petrol models will like a drink, but not an issue if she is a low mileage user and can accept less than 30mpg.

If she wants a capable SUV there are far better ones out there for far less money and they will be very reliable.

If she is glassy eyed because its an Evoque nothing you suggest will change her mind so you may as well let her get one with it.
  • Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suggest she buy a brand new Skoda Kodiaq and still save a few quid......at least take one for a test drive
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    1K posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine she wants one for the 'perceived status' - so suggesting any other car is probably going to be met with a bit of resistance. 

Let's say the money received was £20k - I would suggest she bought a £15k car, and kept £5k in reserve ready for repairs :) As long as she knows where the money will come from to fix it, then let her go ahead and buy it. 

Yes, it'll cost more in fuel than what she has.

Yes, it'll cost more to insure than what she already has.

Yes, it'll cost more to service it than what she already has.

Yes, it'll cost more to repair than what she already has.

Yes, it'll likely be harder to park than what she already has.

Yes, it'll likely go wrong more often than what she already has. 

But of course, what she already has might be a bit boring and dull looking in comparison. 

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • ScrapitScrapit Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Its a land rover. It will break.
  • facadefacade Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sister in law did the same thing- she inherited some money and had to buy a RangeRover, because she always wanted one. Nothing my brother said could change her mind, so she did, and it didn't end well as predicted.

Trouble is, if she keeps 5k back for the inevitable repairs, then one for 5k less is more likely to need them, and one for 5k more than she can afford even less so, but when that one breaks you are paying astronomical bills as well as a loan.

Best to just let her buy one, gifted money is easy come. easy go I suppose, and she/you are no worse off after it has been lost than you were before you had it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))