Options

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Adamc said:
    Hi all 

A family member has gifted my partner some money and she would like to purchase/put it towards a used Range Rover Evoque. 

Having read bits and bobs about them I am slightly worried she may not have anticipated all of the potential costs. 
    The service cost is high compared to any car either of us have owned (£400 - £700) and she currently drives a 1 litre small petrol car so I imagine the fuel costs will be at least double. 
    The thing that really concerns me is the failure rates and the huge repair bills.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there any other potential costs to watch out for?

At the end of the day it's her money and choice but there are shared outgoings we both need to stay on top of so I really hope they won't be affected by whatever she plans to do. 

I have a couple of friends with a Range Rover Chavoque and can honestly say they were bought as a penis extension. A status symbol. They certainly didn't buy it for its reliability... But nevertheless, both like their Chavoques. 

If Mr Pinkshoes was given money and spent it on such a car he would be Mr Ex Pinkshoes! 

If it's her money and she has enough money to pay to maintain it and for fuel without it affecting the family finances, then you'll just have to let her buy it!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good rule for a Landy - if you can't afford to buy two, you can't afford to run one 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They look to be about £500 a month on a 3 year PCP including VAT and maintenance for 10k miles a year - how would that fit in to the amount of money gifted?

https://www.cvsl.co.uk/cars/land-rover/land-rover-range-rover-evoque-diesel-hatchback-r-dynamic-20-d150-r-dynamic-5dr-auto/87475
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Scrapit said:
    Scrapit said:
    £400 for a single tyre?! 
    The shop had big windows.

Cos they him coming.
    Cos they him coming?  What on Earth does that mean?
    Its a joke. They see you coming, due in most part, to the big windows. Harry Enfield did a relatable sketch but it was antiquities rather than tyres he was flogging. Amusing either way.
    If you are going to use someone else's joke at least try and get it right.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Scrapit said:
    Scrapit said:
    £400 for a single tyre?! 

Cos they him coming.
    Its a joke. They see you coming, due in most part, to the big windows. Harry Enfield did a relatable sketch but it was antiquities rather than tyres he was flogging. Amusing either way.
    I see.  I guess you meant to say "Cos they SAW him coming"?  Makes more sense when you use the correct words in the correct order.
  • The_Rainmaker
    The_Rainmaker Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    daveyjp said:
    One owners anecdote is not data.

But several non-owners are?  I've owned 5 Range Rovers.  It's all I've driven since 2009.  So I think my experiences should count for something.
    Apart from the VW you bought in January?  :wink:
  • Supersonos
    Options
    daveyjp said:
    One owners anecdote is not data.

But several non-owners are?  I've owned 5 Range Rovers.  It's all I've driven since 2009.  So I think my experiences should count for something.
    Apart from the VW you bought in January?  :wink:
    This might shock you, but we have more than one vehicle.  
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2020 at 8:59AM
    Options
    Scrapit said:
    Scrapit said:
    £400 for a single tyre?! 

Cos they him coming.
    I see.  I guess you meant to say "Cos they SAW him coming"?  Makes more sense when you use the correct words in the correct order.
    I'm surprised you didn't work that out to begin with.  I knew what he meant, so didn't question it.
  • Supersonos
    Options
    Scrapit said:
    Scrapit said:
    £400 for a single tyre?! 

Cos they him coming.
    I'm surprised you didn't work that out to begin with.  I knew what he meant, so didn't question it.
    I didn't know what he meant, so did question it.  
  • VFR
    VFR Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2020 at 5:46PM
    Options
    https://youtu.be/1MMSzjMLZ6U?t=52

They get a decent review here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income