Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

I am not giving up my 2020 holidays just yet.....

New Post Advanced Search

I am not giving up my 2020 holidays just yet.....

54 replies 3.5K views
I had a cheeky week in Turkey in mid March, got back just as it all kicked off. Due to be back there again mid June- don't hold much hope for that and expect Easyjet to cancel the flight 14 days beforehand. Next trip is a week away to Malaga in mid July, haven't completely written that one yet but just in case it doesn't go ahead we have booked two weeks in Sharm El Sheik in November- haven't been back there since we were caught up in the downing of the Russian jet a few days before we were meant to come home in 2015. I am not giving up my 2020 holidays just yet.....

Replies

• edited 25 May at 6:55PM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25 May at 6:55PM
    It's a judgement call for you to make.
    I would not be making any new plans until the ongoing circumstances settle down to something approaching the so called "new normal" position.
    Other opinions may differ of course - you pays your money and you takes your chances...............literally.
  • Fly100Fly100 Forumite
    36 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Turkey are really struggling to contain Covid currently, have a Google.
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've no intention of booking anything new for 2020 at the moment. We have another cruise booked for November and we're ambivalent about that. Who knows what the world situation will be like by then?

Fortunately the cruise company, Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, are behaving well. They have suspended scheduled payments until 28 days before departure and we can move the booking to a cruise in 2021 or 2022, up to 14 days before departure. We'll do what feels right for us, both over 70, when the time comes. 
  • IbizafanIbizafan Forumite
    43 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    We’ve moved all holidays this year to 2021, as we’re just not keen on the idea of airports, planes and social distancing rules in the countries we were booked to travel to. However, good luck to anyone choosing to travel in 2020. We shall be closely watching to see how they get on. They shall be the test cases! Still waiting to see if we get to Wales in July, or North Devon in August, and a lot will depend on what’s open in the way of eating places.
  • benjusbenjus Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had to cancel all the travel plans we'd made for this year so far. I doubt I'm going to feel happy with the idea of flying for some time, but maybe Eurotunnel Le Shuttle would be OK when France re-opens to tourists (whenever that might be) as it can be done without leaving the car. But at this point I'm only going to book things that are fully flexible and cancellable.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • NelsonjeNelsonje Forumite
    19 posts
    10 Posts
    We have changed a trip to Marseille in May to a long weekend in Malta over NYE. Hopefully we will be able to still do that one! The rest have been cancelled and will be rebooked for next year. 
  • pattycakepattycake Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We should have had Easter in Rhodes.  Waiting on a refund for that.  Two weeks in Lanzarote in June.  Moved to June 2021.  Eleven days in Spain in August which we have chosen to cancel at the loss of £400.  We have another break in Lanzarote for October which I am still optimistic about but time will tell.

I am more than happy that we managed a couple of weeks of winter sun in January.  It seems incredible looking back that we had no inkling that it may be our last holiday abroad for quite some time.
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    pattycake said:
    We should have had Easter in Rhodes.  Waiting on a refund for that.  Two weeks in Lanzarote in June.  Moved to June 2021.  Eleven days in Spain in August which we have chosen to cancel at the loss of £400.  We have another break in Lanzarote for October which I am still optimistic about but time will tell.

I am more than happy that we managed a couple of weeks of winter sun in January.  It seems incredible looking back that we had no inkling that it may be our last holiday abroad for quite some time.
    We returned to UK on 11th March from a 3 week trip to Australia & New Zealand to celebrate my 70th. We were on Ruby Princess cruise around NZ until 8th March, the one immediately preceding this one, which Australian Police have questioned us about.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/criminal-investigation-launched-ruby-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus-disaster
    I can't believe how incredibly lucky we have been, though the whole trip of a lifetime has been overshadowed by subsequent events.

• Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've not given up either. I have lost one holiday to Ibiza, which I'm not too fussed about, I've been there 5 years in a row (for a metal festival). Another festival's been cancelled and I have a friends wedding in the UK and a holiday already booked to Amsterdam in September, so I'm still holding out hope for them! If I go it'll be facemasks, glove and hand sanitiser all the way - or we sacrifice the flight cost and book the eurostar if it appears to be safer. But we'll see.

I actually booked a trip for February next year to Morocco - just the flight so far (£90 return), we'll see how things stand by then!