We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spouse Maintenance Help

Options
12345679»

Comments

• LonMan
    LonMan Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    70% is pretty standard unfortunately, so rather than spending £65,000 in court costs and 2 years of my time, I thought I might agree to that to settle things. But now she wants the 92% that her Lawyer said she could get. Been haggling with her for months and each time I basically agree to what she wants she rejects and asks for more. As other posters pointed out a few months ago, she will never agree with me and the only way is court.
  • ZaSa1418
    Options
    LonMan said:
    70% is pretty standard unfortunately, so rather than spending £65,000 in court costs and 2 years of my time, I thought I might agree to that to settle things. But now she wants the 92% that her Lawyer said she could get. Been haggling with her for months and each time I basically agree to what she wants she rejects and asks for more. As other posters pointed out a few months ago, she will never agree with me and the only way is court.
    The reason her Lawyer keeps telling her she can get more is because you keep agreeing to everything she asks so the Lawyer rubs his/her hands together as they are making loads of money from your ex wife. (Which chances are they will expect you to pay the fees in the end)  
    Did you get a second opinion or do you still have your original lawyer? 
    Please stop agreeing to everything, seek decent legal advice and tell her to take a jump. 
    LBM Debt Total : £48,326.50

Pay All Your Debt Off By Xmas 2023 - #50  £1,495.29 / £12,000.00
    Saving For Christmas 2023 - £1 a day challenge - #6 £100/£1095.00
  • burlingtonfl6
    Options
    Just out of interest OP, what did you wife do when you met her?
  • LonMan
    LonMan Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    When I met her, she was a cleaner. 
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LonMan said:
    When I met her, she was a cleaner. 
    Looks like she's taking you to her old job :)

You may as well tell her you'll see her in court, I can't see a judge agreeing to that level of disparity. I'd say you're already looking at absolute worst case scenario in her final demands, not sure how it can get worse (maybe you lose another 8% of the house)..........

Also, at 50/50 custody CMS payments should be nil so be prepared not to get that level of access. I can see someone as grabby as your ex appears to be to quickly backtrack on 50/50 when it means they lose out on £900+ of money each month (I could always be pleasantly surprised I guess).

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So what did your NEW solicitor say about this? Because you clearly got a second opinion...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure