We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spouse Maintenance Help

Options

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    LonMan said:
    Spoke to my Lawyer on the weekend. Apparently he thinks paying £1900 per month for the next 13 years and her also getting around £250,000 is realistic to what the court would agree if not more. 
    Get a new solicitor. It's not realistic at all. 
    agreed unless the solicitor has a lot more information than we do
    I expect he knew about the two business OP has only just mentioned.

OP - whole picture of assets liabilities and income, or stop wasting people time. Drip feeding info is irritating beyond belief. But really, decent lawyer.
    In fairness they're not really businesses as such. More like a trading name. 
  • Gycraig
    Gycraig Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Honestly if she is like this you have a war ahead of you, go get a Pittbull of a lawyer and take it to court. Half your house and 30 percent of your income for the next 13 years is an absolutely ludicrous request. You are responsible for the kids not her  
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A new solicitor and a financial order via court could be the best money you ever spent, she is already walking all over you, nip it in the bud now.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have to agree with the others you need decent legal advice now..... do not wait for you to both to come to “an agreement” it’s not going to happen.

I used to type up consent orders for barristers involving matrimonial disputes and financial settlements... trust me when I say she is taking the biscuit from you. 
  • LonMan
    Options
    Hi guys, 
    Bit of an update. The divorce is now complete but the financial agreement is still outstanding. Our house is now on the market for sale. Basically I have given her until this Monday to come up with something we can agree on. She was asking for 70% of the value of the house plus £930 a month child maintenance plus £500 spouse maintenance for the next 13 years (until our youngest is 18).

Being quite desperate to get this finalised and to move on with my life I finally agreed, only for her to then now say she wants 92% (£495,000) of the sale of the house plus child maintenance because she wants to be able to buy a small house locally outright. For a small 3/4 bed in our area it works around around £500,000.

My earnings this year will be around £170,000, but this can vary year on year depending on how my business is doing. If I left my business tomorrow it would cease trading so can be valued at 0. I have around £21,000 debt via loans and credit cards, with no notable savings or pension.

On Monday I will proceed with the Financial Order if she won't come back to me. My Lawyer is unsure of the outcome if it went to court, from experience what do you guys think would the final settlement. Could she really get 92% of the house sale?
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    So pretty much she gets basically everything and you get nothing?
    Lawyers will never give an opinion on things 'just in case' so they will always appear unsure. I think it seems particularly harsh on you and would expect any reasonable judge to agree
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• LonMan
    Options
    Yes, her argument is that I have a bigger earning potential so can get it back whereas she can't. But yes, basically I get nothing, I will have no money and she will have £500,000 plus £930 per month, but the kids are split 50/50 between us in time.
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    the 50/50 split of the children is key here, where does she expect you to live with them if you have no starting finances?
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• LonMan
    Options
    She expects me to rent and rebuild my money some how.
  • burlingtonfl6
    Options
    And people on here have the nerve to say the courts/laws/system aren't set up to benefit women in a divorce.
    She deserves half of the value of the house and a bit of money until she finds a new job (which won't happen)
    If you both have the children 50% of the time it's not your responsibility to fund her 50% (she would have £250k in the bank to do that) OP, you're a mug for settling for this arrangement.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure