We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spouse Maintenance Help

Options

Comments

• LonMan
    LonMan Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys, will try and speak with another Lawyer to see what they say. 50/50 plus say two years of spousal support I could stomach. 
  • LonMan
    First Post
    Options
    My wife is now asking for 50% of two business that I own, plus 50% of the house sale and £930 a month child maintenance. I can't accept giving her 50% of my businesses when she has zero input into them. They are the kind of business I could shut down and restart tomorrow if needed, but I've been advised I wouldnt be able to do that for two years.

Has anyone got any experience of their ex-wives taking half their business?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't you got a decent solicitor yet?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LonMan said:
    My wife is now asking for 50% of two business that I own, plus 50% of the house sale and £930 a month child maintenance. I can't accept giving her 50% of my businesses when she has zero input into them. They are the kind of business I could shut down and restart tomorrow if needed, but I've been advised I wouldnt be able to do that for two years.

Has anyone got any experience of their ex-wives taking half their business?
    GET A BETTER SOLICITOR!

seriously there is no 2 year shut down and restart limit nonsense!

They're not really businesses if you're the sole employee. 
  • LonMan
    First Post
    Options
    Havent approached a new Solictor yet, I'm still waiting on my wife to come to an agreement with me first before I get my solicitor to draw up the Consent Order. Each time she suggests something and I agree, she then asks for more. This claiming 50% of the house plus 50% of the businesses is the latest idea she has come up with.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LonMan said:
    Havent approached a new Solictor yet, I'm still waiting on my wife to come to an agreement with me first before I get my solicitor to draw up the Consent Order. Each time she suggests something and I agree, she then asks for more. This claiming 50% of the house plus 50% of the businesses is the latest idea she has come up with.
    Ok forget the consent order, just take this to court, with a new solicitor! Honestly i cant make is simpler than that!
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    LonMan said:
    Ok forget the consent order, just take this to court, with a new solicitor! Honestly i cant make is simpler than that!
    Listen to this, its really quite straight forward
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LonMan said:
    And this is going to keep happening until you get a good legal advisor.

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    LonMan said:
    Spoke to my Lawyer on the weekend. Apparently he thinks paying £1900 per month for the next 13 years and her also getting around £250,000 is realistic to what the court would agree if not more. 
    Get a new solicitor. It's not realistic at all. 
    agreed unless the solicitor has a lot more information than we do
    I expect he knew about the two business OP has only just mentioned.

OP - whole picture of assets liabilities and income, or stop wasting people time. Drip feeding info is irritating beyond belief. But really, decent lawyer.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • LonMan
    First Post
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    LonMan said:
    Spoke to my Lawyer on the weekend. Apparently he thinks paying £1900 per month for the next 13 years and her also getting around £250,000 is realistic to what the court would agree if not more. 
    Get a new solicitor. It's not realistic at all. 
    agreed unless the solicitor has a lot more information than we do
    I expect he knew about the two business OP has only just mentioned.

OP - whole picture of assets liabilities and income, or stop wasting people time. Drip feeding info is irritating beyond belief. But really, decent lawyer.
    Thanks for the response, but I mentioned in my original post about having two businesses. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure