New Post Advanced Search

PIP telephone assessment

90 replies 13.7K views
Hi folks, hope everyone is safe and well (as can be).
My partner had a PIP assessment arranged but due to the Coronavirus it was cancelled and she was given a date for a telephone consultation instead - for tomorrow!.
Since her original application her medical condition has changed and we have new evidence from her health care professionals supporting this but obviously now cannot present this new evidence at her face to face, obviously we can tell them on the phone but will this be taken into account by the assessor as they can't actually verify it themselves now?

Also, has anyone else already had a phone assessment and will it go against her or for her that they cannot actually see her in person and how some of her conditions affect her? some of them are more visible than others and would they think if they can't see people then people might try it on and make stuff up over the phone?
We're a bit worried how this will go so any advice would be much appreciated, cheers.

Replies

• Gig1968Gig1968 Forumite
    216 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi
    Was the pip assesment for a new claim or a re assessment.
    When did you apply?
    I made an application on April 1 and I was wandering about the phone assesment . I'm sure others on here will help you they are good people and can give you sound advice. Did you only get the letter today about the call to tomorrow. I'm on ESA and have had many face to face assessment s which I much prefer because you can normally discuss your condition much easier that way. I can only suggest that during call you explain that you have more paperwork and that the situation has changed and can you send the details off to them . The danger might be is that you may have to submit a new application form about the changed condition I don't know I'm no expert .  You can only tell the truth and see how it goes from there . I have read and I might be wrong that these calls can take a fair while. One of the people on here will let you know what happens .  Depending on the illness I would think depends on the length of the call.  If you do need to send to any letters off to them try and get them copied ( I know that's virtually impossible in this current lockdown). I sent a barrel load of discharge hospital notes and consistent letters with my application and I know you aren't supposed to send originals. I had no choice as I couldn't find a copier. I wrote a letter asking if they would be kind if to return them they never did. I know I can get a copy from my doctor who has scanned them all in on their system. I would have done that but the doctor is virtually on lockdown too. Please let me know what happens I'm very interested and I hope it goes really well and you are able to sort things out on the phone.

• venisonvenison Forumite
    4.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My OH had a telephone assessment for PIP renewal in December, much to our surprise, it took about 10 mins and the DM told here at the end of the call that PIP would be awarded for another two years at the same rate.
    MSE bring back discussion Time, its removal is an outrage at best and an attempt at censoring at worst !
  • Giantdaz74Giantdaz74 Forumite
    18 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    that's great, hope ours is a similar experience then
  • seaney53seaney53 Forumite
    24 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    hi,my wife was due to have a face to face review last month but was cancelled by DWP  due to the lockdown,and they said in the letter they would be back in touch soon.
    My wife received a text from the Independant Assessment Services who asked that if she was available for a telephone assessment on the 27 April 2020 would she please ring them.
    Would have thought this request should have been done by letter!
    Any advice,should my wife wait for a letter?

24 posts
    Just noticed on another thread a link to DWP stating as from 24 March 2020 no face to face reviews for three months and no mention of telephone assessments.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    seaney53 said:
    hi,my wife was due to have a face to face review last month but was cancelled by DWP  due to the lockdown,and they said in the letter they would be back in touch soon.
    My wife received a text from the Independant Assessment Services who asked that if she was available for a telephone assessment on the 27 April 2020 would she please ring them.
    Would have thought this request should have been done by letter!
    Any advice,should my wife wait for a letter?

All face to face assessments have been suspended for at least 3 months. They do send out text messages for appointments yes. Assessments will now either be paper based or telephone. As your wife has received a text message then she will need to make sure that she answers the phone between the time stated in the text. Questions will then be asked over the telephone.

24 posts
    Thanks for the reply.
    Bit nerve racking for my wife,one of her illnesses affects her memory,which she takes medication for,but  she may struggle to communicate effectively by telephone,at least face to face she has me there for support.
    She will need to take a few Kalm tablets!

• cantcopecantcope Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    seaney53 said:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Bit nerve racking for my wife,one of her illnesses affects her memory,which she takes medication for,but  she may struggle to communicate effectively by telephone,at least face to face she has me there for support.

Make sure she tells them this. Sending her good wishes 
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • Gig1968Gig1968 Forumite
    216 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    How did she get on?
    24 posts
    cantcope said:
    seaney53 said:
    Thanks for the reply.

Make sure she tells them this. Sending her good wishes 
    Thank you.