We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tesla share price

Options

Comments

• Username999
    Username999 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Tesla is ramping up its production capacity at Gigafactory Shanghai to manufacture 250,000+ cars a year.
    And billions of batteries.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtjZN0TPC1A
    One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 7 June 2020 at 2:06PM
    Options
    Tesla is ramping up its production capacity at Gigafactory Shanghai to manufacture 250,000+ cars a year.
    Should I invest in Tesla or China?  If Tesla can do it in China so at some stage will any number of Chinese companies.

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a Model S for a couple of years now and they are stunning cars. I've never really worried about range, and I bought our car 300 miles away from home, hopped in, and drove home. And yes, they are stupendously quick.

Tesla still seem to be selling all they can make, hence ramping up production around the world. The Model Y is going to sell like hot cakes. Dunno about that Truck ...

Yes, they could be screwed together better, but I don't really notice it being worse than the Audi A8s I drove before the S.

I'm sure other manufacturers will catch up, but the Model S has been out since 2012 and they haven't managed to beat that, and all the time Tesla are learning and improving.

I don't currently own any Tesla shares as being retired is all about using wealth to generate income and not take unnecessary risks.

I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Linton said:
    Should I invest in Tesla or China?  If Tesla can do it in China so at some stage will any number of Chinese companies.

Good luck picking out from the many dozens of companies which very few wont go bust. Nio and  BYD seem to be only ones with the financial backing and technical know how to make decent cars and profits . I already burnt my fingers on BYD (and switched to Tesla)  There's a lot of kudos to the name Tesla there than with most others (though I think Nio seems OK and IIRC they just got an injection of capital).
    Plus a few more non Chinese entrants, VW are starting up there and Mercedes i think Also Toyota despite saying that no one wants EVs and that they have no future, will be selling their only pure EV in China.

• Username999
    edited 7 June 2020 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Dunno about that Truck ...
    You mean the Cybertruck? (as opposed to the Semi Truck)
    Looks a bit odd IMHO, but it has over 500,000 reservations (fully refundable fee) mostly from americans.
    That glass breaking was marketing genius!
    https://thedriven.io/2020/02/24/cybertruck-reservation-tracker/
  • yellow1231231
    Options
    I've had a Model S for a couple of years now and they are stunning cars. I've never really worried about range, and I bought our car 300 miles away from home, hopped in, and drove home. And yes, they are stupendously quick.

Tesla still seem to be selling all they can make, hence ramping up production around the world. The Model Y is going to sell like hot cakes. Dunno about that Truck ...

Yes, they could be screwed together better, but I don't really notice it being worse than the Audi A8s I drove before the S.

I'm sure other manufacturers will catch up, but the Model S has been out since 2012 and they haven't managed to beat that, and all the time Tesla are learning and improving.

I don't currently own any Tesla shares as being retired is all about using wealth to generate income and not take unnecessary risks.

is that why they just cut prices? tesla is the most overvalued company in the world other manufacturers catch up you know tesla has something like a 1-2 percent market share in all countries they also typically make a profit
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    Options
    Dunno about that Truck ...
    You mean the Cybertruck? (as opposed to the Semi Truck)

Both TBH. I can't see battery weight doing the semi any favours, but I guess it was always going to be niche to start with.
    And yes, lots of orders for the Cyber Truck but I can't see it being right easy to park at Waitrose.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    Options

Like you, I think my Tesla is a great car. I got my Model 3 back in September and it's the best, most fun, fastest car I've ever owned. The whole package is well thought out and as far as I know, Teslas are the only cars that actually get better with age due to all of the software enhancements that are automatically downloaded!
    I knew the day I collected the car that I should have invested in Tesla shares (but sadly didn't have any spare cash to put in to my SIPP)... the whole collection experience was like nothing I've ever known and the car was a dream to drive. 
    I can only presume that the naysayers have never owned one. 

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

is that why they just cut prices? tesla is the most overvalued company in the world other manufacturers catch up you know tesla has something like a 1-2 percent market share in all countries they also typically make a profit

Not at all, check out Nikola. Valued more than Ford, they never sold a car or truck, and dont intend to for another 1-2 years and their founder just sold 7 million shares at $10 even though they are now, hard to keep track but maybe $70 each. If the founder sells at that price, doenst give you confidence teh $70 will stick does it.
    Anyway, back to Tesla, they cut prices *slightly* on S&X which really arent that relevant from a revenue / margin POV, cut on the 3 because the Y is now better value and they need to be abel to dfferentiate and to be able to qualify for various EV incentives.
    They didnt cut on the Y  at all. 

Shares will likely reach $1200 by end of this year. And they still wont be more overvalued than Nikola  at their present price.
  • Username999
    edited 13 June 2020 at 7:55PM
    Options
    I've top sliced so now hoping for sub $850 to buy back.

Gigafactory 3 Phase 2 progress...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTE-PfbG7WE

Gigafactory 4 progress...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xByqcaqdSQc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback