Tesla share price

Options

Comments

• Username999
    Username999 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sept. 15
    Battery Day was originally supposed to happen in April or May, but Tesla and CEO Elon Musk didn't make mention of the event as the coronavirus pandemic set in. Musk said on Twitter this Sunday that Sept. 15 will be the day we learn about whatever Tesla has in store for this event.
    One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • Username999
    Options
    Do Baillie Gifford with their SMT fund sell off a stock if it hits a certain percentage?
    ie: If their TESLA holding hits X% of the fund do they reallocate?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 13 July 2020 at 2:25PM
    Options
    Do Baillie Gifford with their SMT fund sell off a stock if it hits a certain percentage?
    ie: If their TESLA holding hits X% of the fund do they reallocate?
    No the trust doesn't don't have a set limit that an individual asset can rise to. When adding to investments, they have a concentration limit of up to 8% in any one stock at time of making the investment, as set out in their investment policy. If the managers have a particular idea of at what point they'd start selling, they will keep quiet about it, as it's not commercially sensible to be explicit in public about the point you are going to sell.

Read the accounts and other reports if you want to know more about the investment trust.
    83705628 Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2020 at 8:53AM
    Options
    I bought 4 at average ~£200 from April 2018 to May 2019. The price has gone completely f****** insane lately, sold one at £770 a month ago and another one this week at £1290. I still believe in the company so I still want to be involved and I don't want to sell the lot and have to buy in later to do that. This way even if the value goes to zero I made £1,650 on a bad investment.
    I originally bought intending to never sell, and I'm going to keep the remaining 2 indefinitely, i just wish damn those damn retail speculators didn't get involved.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 July 2020 at 3:21PM
    Options
    Nothing about the recent rise is retail investors (of which you are one, obvs so not sure if you are being ironic). Way too big for a few robin hood purchases to make any difference.
    And there's several billion about to be bought by index funds and being bought by big time speculators betting on that, again, not retail like you and I.
  • Username999
    Options
    Nothing about the recent rise is retail investors (of which you are one, obvs so not sure if you are being ironic). Way too big for a few robin hood purchases to make any difference.
    And there's several billion about to be bought by index funds and being bought by big time speculators betting on that, again, not retail like you and I.
    I hear that around 26 million shares have to be bought by the funds.
    There's only 145 million free float.
    So around $40 Billion worth!!

I'd like to see a stock split, maybe 10 for 1.
    Should allow more retail investors to buy in, alot of people don't like or can't buy at $1500+.
  • dont_look_now
    Options
    I'd like to see a stock split, maybe 10 for 1.
    IMHO, they should go the opposite way, and do a 100-for-1 consolidation, to encourage small investors to be sensible and put their money in index funds, instead of speculating on individual company shares :)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 July 2020 at 5:36PM
    Options

40,000 + RobinHood users added Tesla stock to their accounts during Mondays trading. Taking the overall total on that platform alone to around 500,000.  There is only so much liquidity in the stock. With Musk around 19%. Blackrock, Fidelity, Baillie Gifford and Vanguard etc already account for another 25%. 
    83705628 Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    /
    Except... New retail investors have made a difference.
  • Sailtheworld
    Sailtheworld Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there any data to show how many of the shares are purchased by retail investors or even a proper definition of what a retail investor is?

Seems to to me to be another one of those phrases to explain why a share price went up when someone predicted it would go down and vice versa. Helps with the Scooby Doo defence - that share price would've gone down if it hadn't been for those meddling retail investors and that pesky dead cat bounce etc. etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback