🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tesla share price

Options

Comments

• Sailtheworld
    Sailtheworld Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've never really understood why Tesla commands such a high share price. Cool cars and everything and I'd love one but essentially they're a fancy fridge on wheels. Surely people aren't pricing in that other fancy electric fridges on wheels won't be along shortly.

I said the same thing about Amazon as well. It's just a shop on the Internet - that's really easy to replicate. And mobile 'phones - what the hell is so important that you need to ring someone before you get home to a landline. And Facebook. And Apple.

I just invest in trackers now by the way.

Its not too late for getting in to Tesla. Dont make the Apple, Facebook ,Amazon mistake a fourth time. Tesla is so far ahead of the competition its a joke but they would do even better with a smaller car for Europe and China (the Yanks wont buy anything thats as small or smaller than a Golf sized car so theres plenty of EV "space" in that area, including from VW with an "electric golf" but purpose built, that Tesla doesn't affect.  Yet.  But even that smaller "EV golf (aka VW ID.3) " might well be the same price as a more capable economic faster longer range Tesla Model 3, so a smaller cheaper Tesla will kick butt in Europe. Probably 3 years off, if ever though. At present Tesla is only in "BMW 3 series and above" territory. Get in now before a smaller car and a whole slew of other stuff comes along.

I often figuratively kick myself on Amazon, i had the same thought as you, missed the opportunity when i should have spotted the value earlier.
    Apple I've done well out of. Facebook i dont get. I dont invest in things i dont get. Or like.
    Anyone with an all-world tracker will have 5% of Facebook / Apple / Amazon. Obviously these don't make it into the index until they're in the top 3000 or so biggest companies in the world so you do miss the early growth - I can live with that.

In not so many years time all cars will be electric which is both an opportunity and a danger for Tesla. The same goes for having a charismatic person in charge. What Tesla have done well is they've become much more than an electric car maker in the same way Amazon became much more than an online bookseller. I CBA to devote the head space to individual shares anymore and happy enough to stick at holding 0.12% of Tesla via a world tracker.

Facebook is essentially a company which mines data and sells it. They've done well because (a) the people who supply the data do so for far less than it's worth and (b) they've convinced people that every casual acquaintance is a friend. I do wonder if consumers will demand a higher price for data in the future which applies to Tesla as much as Facebook, Amazon & Apple. Maybe they'll keep choosing to enrich shareholders instead.
  • Username999
    Username999 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thrugelmir said:
    Bang the drum loud for the good news. Keep quiet for the bad.  Fingers burnt? 

Some 'Bad News' for you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52596372

One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir said:
    Bang the drum loud for the good news. Keep quiet for the bad.  Fingers burnt? 

Some 'Bad News' for you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52596372

If it wasn't Tesla it wouldn't even be news. 
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Break out the popcorn ....

• Thrugelmir
    Options
    Let's hope for worker safety that this doesn't back fire. US corporate elitism at it's worst. 
  • Alistair31
    Alistair31 Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options

Wealth before health. 
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Wealth before health. 
    California has already allowed bus8nesses like this to open. All other US auto manufacturers have restarted across the US. Starbucks is open in Ca. Nail salons are open. 
    But one local official has taken it upon themselves to not allow reopening and is essentially declaring themselves above Californian law because they are going against what the governor of Ca has specifically stated.
    easy to say it's corporate greed, there are 20k employees here who'd like their livelehood protected ,a nd  no doubt in spin off of other industries indirectly employ many times more that.
    And one local official, in alleged contravention of Californian and US laws (lawsuit has been issued against the county) had decided they cannot open. If (when IMO) that is shown to be illegal will the county recompense to half a billion or so that they've cost Tesla? I'm guessing not. 
    Meanwhile, a Californian politician who takes oil money and supported a  watered down bill that allows oil wells being built next to schools (and they are) , tweeted "F*** Elon Musk" and is supporting the closure of this plant, so if you want to talk about corporate greed or wealth before health, look toward the oil companies and their paid shills. 

Indeed perhaps consider the irony of saying "wealth before health" when the oil and auto industry that Tesla is looking to supplant literally kills tens of thousands a year due to noxious emissions and pays politicians to pass corrupt laws. And deliberately frauds emissions laws. And as a side dish, gasses monkeys. 
  • Thrugelmir
    Options

Wealth before health. 
    Cashflow is the bigger issue. 
  • Sailtheworld
    Sailtheworld Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    I know every politician, newsreader and commentator wouldn't ever talk about the data without prefacing with words like 'sadly' and 'every death is a tragedy' etc. but Coronavirus is pretty trivial and it won't be allowed to get in the way of American business for long. It's not as if it's Ebola and when the President is actively encouraging this sort of action there should be no surprise that Musk has done this.

• Alistair31
    Alistair31 Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    AJ, it was more a flippant remark than any real concern or display of virtue. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure