🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Currys & Coverplan by Mastercare

Options

Comments

• richt71
    richt71 Posts: 946 Forumite
    Options
    If you want extra peace of mind with cover against electrical items going haywire then called the various insurance companies. They do plans to cover every electrical small item in your home and are a fraction of the cost of what most of those warrenties cost!
  • BSingh
    BSingh Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    which insurance companies do this kind of cover?
  • tedstouch
    Options
    i bought a sharp camcorder 4 years ago for 800 quid, wanted it on a boat for watersking so thought id take the 5 year warranty out. 4 years later it packed up and sent it off to be repaired, onlt to find that after 4 weeks of it being away it couldnt be traced to anywhere, so after one call with CS i got to go instore and pick any other camcorder i wanted for the original selling price of 800 notes. got a new mini dvd camcorder and a new 5 year warranty all for free. im now hoping this one goes goosed and aslo gets lost in the post somewhere in another 3 years time , so i can have the all singin and dancin camcorder of 2009/10. yep mastercare looked after me allright.:j
  • dawnfjc
    Options
    I bought a side by side fridge freezer august 2004 just over £1000 with 5 year coverplan, just as samsung warranty ran out august 2006 the problem started, since then I have been trying to claim 6 week rule but getting nowhere, engineers have replaced every part possible and still not repaired, they keep telling me a report will be put in to right it off but I ring coverplan and get told everytime "sorry but the engineer has reported it as repaired" so we have had an engineer out every week (at least) for over 5 months but most times he just stands looking at it.

The noise out of the fridge is so loud we cant hear the tv, it wakes up my 5 kids and me and my husband every night, and yet it is apparently repaired.
    My husband has now said we will involve trading standards, so an engineer came out yesterday all he done this time was re set tempratures on both fridge and freezer to 7 and -16 but the safe tempratures should be no higher than 5 on the fridge and no lower than -18 for the freezer, do these people think we are stupid?????

My husband rang the engineer yesterday and they told hime coverplan would have a report this morning to right it off AGAIN, I just rang coverplan and guess what???????? no report has been sent through :mad:

Coverplan blame the engineers but the engineer keeps blaming coverplan telling me they wont accept them to right it off.

WHO IS TO BLAME????? :mad:

Dawn
  • papacool
    papacool Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    THE CONDENSED VERSION. I bought a printer via a 'free ad' papare. It came with a 3 year warranty by Currys Coverplan. I wrote to Coverpaln when I got the printer, telling them I was now the owner. I gave no further thought when I didn't hear anything from them.
    On New Years day 2007 the printer died. I phoned the 0870 number on the warranty and I thought I was speaking to Coverplan, it turned out I was talking to the TechGuys. So, for the next 45 minutes I spent going through the motions of trying to diagnose the problem. I was told to reinstall the software. As this would take some time I told him I would phone back. I was given a reference number. When I had removed and reinstalled the software, I recontacted the 'wizeguys'... OOOps the TechGuys. After a further 45 minutes on the 0870 number I was told the printer was 'dead'. I was put on hold, while a conversation took place in the office. I was asked for the serial number, model etc; then told to dump the printer and a voucher would be sent to the value of £130, which I could take to a PC World and exchange for a new printer.
    My details were taken and this is when alarm bells started ringing. The printer was still registered to the original owner.
    The Techguy made the alterations to my ownership. I was again told to dump the printer, 'no use sending back an obviously dead printer'. The £130 voucher would be sent to me within a few days.
    3-4 days later I contacted them again to make sure the voucher would be sent to the correct address. On this call I was told arrangements were being made for the printer to be uplifted THAT DAY! I told the person that the printer was NO MORE as I carried out the previous guys instructions... to dump it. 'Oh, you shouldn't have done that, we need it'. So, what am I supposed to do now, go to the local council tip and rummage about looking for my old printer? I don't think so. I was told to dump it and thas what I did.
    To cut a L O N G story short, and despite a very helpful store manager, I'm no further forward except to be told by the store manager, according to Coverplan the warranty is now just a piece of paper.
    I've written the a Mr KELVIN FRADLEY at coverplan, without any response. Personally, I think I have a case and will pursue this matter. [Unless someone knows better] The warranty is VALID until November 2007.
  • papacool
    Options
    Further to the above. I got a phone call from Coverpan. They say they cantacted the Techguys who confirm my calls to them, but, there's NO RECORD of anyone telling me to dump the printer. Also, as the printer is still in the name of the original buyer, from South Shields, it was upto her to contact Coverpaln changing the ownership details, NOT ME. So the letter I sent, which they deny receiving, would mean nothing to them. A N D, as I don't ave the printer, there's nothing to be done. Sorry, have a nice day. We will pass on your comments to the people it concerns. End of story. Heads they win, tails you lose.
  • papacool
    Options
    Further to the above. I got a phone call from Coverpan. They say they contacted the Techguys who confirm my calls to them, but, there's NO RECORD of anyone telling me to dump the printer.... Also, as the printer is still in the name of the original buyer, from South Shields, it was upto her to contact Coverpaln changing the ownership details, NOT ME. So the letter I sent, which they deny receiving, would mean nothing to them. A N D, as I don't have the printer, there's nothing to be done. Sorry, have a nice day. We will pass on your comments to the people it concerns. End of story. Heads they win, tails you lose.
  • djdave
    djdave Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's what you do:

Um-and-ah over whether to take the warranty, then push for the biggest discount you can get on the product on condition you take it.

Then, insist on paying the warranty over 10 months (£10 deposit, 10 equal payments for the remainder) by direct debit.

When you get home, write to Coverplan and cancel the warranty as per your consumer rights.

Even taking your £10 into account (oh, and the price of a stamp), you can make some significant savings.
  • Liquid_Stool
    Options
    hello.

we bought our old xbox back in 2002 december. for about £280.00 cover plan cost £49.99 for 3 yrs. from dixons. anyway the extended warranty runs out on dec 2006 this year.

the xbox broke a couple of weeks ago. they are sending us vouchers out for about £290.00 but we have not received them as yet they were processed on the 26th april this year 2006.

ive phoned them up numerous times to see where they are.
    they said they should be here by now.
    they are sending a letter out for me to sign and say ive not received them yet.

we are supposed to be going to chester tommorow to spend them.

has anyone had trouble like this with dixons vouchers before.

does anyone know how long they usually take to arrive after they have processed your claim.

see you

from kerry.

I had exactly the same problem. You'd think they'd send them recorded delivery! The entire royal mail staff must have millions of pounds worth of mastercare vouchers! If they've got any sense though they'll burn the ones for a replacement warranty!:rotfl:
  • barvid
    barvid Posts: 405 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a very cheap mono laser printer from PC World last year. It cost £50. They tried to sell me an extended warranty which I refused, partly because think they're a waste of money in conjunction with statutory rights, and partly because it was a cheap printer anyway. They told me the price of the warranty would be £50, so I told them if it broke I'd just buy another - much better use of the money! So they gave it to me for free. No discount on the product, but a free warranty. What I want to know is why they did this. I can only assume there's some kind of commission they earn on the number of warranties they "sell". I never used the warranty and threw the printer out last week for a better one, but I can't help wondering what was going on... and who in their right mind would take out a £50 warranty on a printer that cost £50 in the first place!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport