New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
476 replies 38.2K views

Replies

• VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ziggy2407 wrote: »
    Just a little update

Was struggling a little with "The Casual Vacancy" but persevered and finished it and it was …. OK
    On that basis, I'm in no rush to read it - so shall leave it on the shelf for now.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ziggy - I tried to watch Casual Vacancy on tv but only managed the first episode, I didn't like it all so have never bothered with the book.

Have finished The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories by Angela Carter. I liked most of the stories but not all of them she does use lots and lots of words I have never heard of before and I have a pretty good vocabulary, it bordered on being pretentious, some sentences where almost wholly made up of them.

I have moved onto Three Things about Elsie based on recommendations on here, started it last night but am only about 20 pages in, easy to read though so far.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • FridayschildFridayschild Forumite
    85 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    dolly84 I will be interested to hear what you think of "Elsie" as it's on my list to read.

I've finished Billy Connolly Tale Tales and Wee Stories. As the title suggests it is lots of anecdotes and experiences from his childhood, youth and long career. Partly very, very funny and laugh out loud and a few bits that were ok but not as funny. Overall an enjoyable light read.

I've just started The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. I haven't read everything he has produced but very much enjoyed his Notes on a Small Island and a few others. Hoping this will be another enjoyable and funny romp around the British Isles. Will let you know in due course! It was written fairly recently so will be on the lookout for Brexit references!
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just started The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. I haven't read everything he has produced but very much enjoyed his Notes on a Small Island and a few others. Hoping this will be another enjoyable and funny romp around the British Isles. Will let you know in due course! It was written fairly recently so will be on the lookout for Brexit references!
    I love Bill Bryson, he can be lol funny.

Book 5:

16130775.jpg

7/10. Another quick read for me, but a very poignant one telling the story of Asia Bibi charting her first two years in jail (you may remember, she and her family finally found safety in Canada last year after being sentenced to death for drinking from a well in the middle of June). She herself is illiterate, so the book was written by an interested journalist from verbal accounts via her husband, in response to her questions - the pair have never actually met. It describes a different world: one where people have very little materially, but a lot of love for their families and a great deal of dignity. Its not however the place to attempt a theological conversation as there is a lot of prejudice and spite. Despite all this, her faith remained strong. Inspiring.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • edited 31 January 2020 at 7:45PM
    ziggy2407ziggy2407 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 January 2020 at 7:45PM
    Popped to the library (one of my fave places), returned 2 and collected 3

Book 7 - one of the books I seem to have been waiting ages for

19th Christmas -James Patterson

Looking forward to more of your suggestions as I too have "Three Thing About Elsie" in the pile to be read.
    2020 - Banish the clutter ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭

i read A Walk in the Woods years ago and loved it, the best of his books for my money. Wasn’t so keen on Little Dribbling but interesting idea to read it with Brexit in mind...

• Five Dead Canaries by Edward Marston will be my next read - I have high hopes!
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    DD lent me Notes from a Small Island and I enjoyed it, she also has and has read Little Dribbling but wasn't keen so I'm not sure I will bother.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    24.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read Cara Hunter - In the Dark, a twisty turny crime thriller. I didn't realise there was a book before it with the same DI but it didn't matter, fine as a stand alone story.
    Definitely a page turner which kept me guessing till the end. It's only when you finish it and reflect on the storyline you think "really?!" . Will have to go back and read the first one now.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.