Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
315 replies 26.5K views

Replies

• Hobsons_ChoiceHobsons_Choice Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Read my book on holiday, left it at the hotel "library" and picked up "The Third Wife" by Lisa Jewell. Really enjoyed it so I'm now going to read more by this author.
    Normal people worry me.
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just finished PS I love you by Cecilia Aherne. I know 10 years after everyone else read it but someone bought me the follow on for christmas and I thought I should read this first. It was ok but quite simplistic and characters are very broadly drawn - I’d read Lyrebird last year and thought it was a lot better. I read the first few pages of the new one after I finished PS I love you and it looks a lot better. First books syndrome i guess :)

I read The Third Wife a while back and quite enjoyed it.

• VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Book 3:

106144-ml-81528.jpg

7/10. After finding the last book a bit hardgoing, I decided to read this slim book as a way of passing a couple of hours. It's actually a children's book, aimed at Year 7-8s I think but you'd have to know a bit about history to fully appreciate the references within it and the sarcasm that emerged at times. I'd read another in this series (Slave Girl) last year not realising it was aimed at young people, probably girls. That one was much better because it was based on the content of diaries left by slaves; this was pure fiction and described the poverty trap perfectly. I enjoyed it nevertheless.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PollyflindersPollyflinders Forumite
    235 posts
    ✭✭
    I finished A Keeper on Monday.

Very different to his first book, Holding, but wow! Very gripping after a slow start. No humour this time.

I started Call the Midwife last last, it'll be a dip-into type of book. Actually, it's a very heavy trilogy, bought for 25p from my tai chi place.
  • wilfred30wilfred30 Forumite
    291 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I'm heavily into crime fiction and am somewhat obsessed with James Patterson and Ian Rankin books.

I've probably read over 100 of them. So many that I've had to make a list and carry it around with me to avoid duplicates. I've read every one in my local library so now buy them from charity shops and when I've read them, I donate them back again :beer:
  • PollyflindersPollyflinders Forumite
    235 posts
    ✭✭
    I can never remember which James Patterson book I've read.

Have you tried Jeffrey Deaver? Twist after twist after twist.
  • ziggy2407ziggy2407 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a fab thread - can I join please?

I love reading and discovering new authors, last year I set myself a target of 52 books and actually read 62, so this years target is set at 60. I particularly love crime and thrillers, my favourite author is James Patterson. I have a bookcase groaning in my attic but tend to have a few books on order from the library and have also set myself the challenge this year that I WILL NOT buy any books at all.

So far this year I've read:
    No Other Darkness - Sarah Hilary
    Tastes Like Fear - Sarah Hilary
    The Stranger Diaries - Elly Griffiths
    Quieter Than Killing - Sarah Hilary

Currently reading
    The Casual Vacancy - J K Rowling

Over the last year I've noticed that once I've found an author I enjoy I like to read all their books in order :o - does that make me weird?

Have caught up on the thread and already added to my library wishlist - so please keep on inspiring.

Money made in 2018 £1556.43 Money made in 2019 £1071.99
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ziggy2407 wrote: »
    What a fab thread - can I join please?

I love reading and discovering new authors, last year I set myself a target of 52 books and actually read 62, so this years target is set at 60. I particularly love crime and thrillers, my favourite author is James Patterson. I have a bookcase groaning in my attic but tend to have a few books on order from the library and have also set myself the challenge this year that I WILL NOT buy any books at all.

So far this year I've read:
    No Other Darkness - Sarah Hilary
    Tastes Like Fear - Sarah Hilary
    The Stranger Diaries - Elly Griffiths
    Quieter Than Killing - Sarah Hilary

Currently reading
    The Casual Vacancy - J K Rowling

Over the last year I've noticed that once I've found an author I enjoy I like to read all their books in order :o - does that make me weird?

Have caught up on the thread and already added to my library wishlist - so please keep on inspiring.

Welcome, weirdo :beer:

Reading books in order means that you track the author's developmental trajectory, and there's nothing wrong with that. The fools are those that denounce reading as a worthwhile pursuit.

Jim-Rohn-Poor-people-have-big-TVs-Rich-people-have-big-libraries-750x375.jpg
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • wilfred30wilfred30 Forumite
    291 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I can never remember which James Patterson book I've read.

Have you tried Jeffrey Deaver? Twist after twist after twist.
    No, I've never heard of him but will look out for his books, thanks for the tip :beer:
  • FridayschildFridayschild Forumite
    84 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Hi everyone,

Please may I join too. It's interesting seeing what everyone else is reading as well as finding new suggestions.

I've set my goal at 45 books this year as I've a bit more time for reading these days.

I have also recently embraced e audiobooks for the first time, and have found them a nice alternative to the radio or music, especially when I'm doing things that don't require lots of concentration.

So far in 2020:
    The Silence of the Girls, Pat Barker
    Platform Seven, Louise Doughty
    An Uncommon Reader, Alan Bennett
    Twas the Nightshift before Christmas, Adam Kay
    The Winter Ghosts, Kate Mosse
    Snap, Belinda Bauer
    and currently reading Billy Connolly, Tall Tales and Wee Stories

e audiobooks
    Once upon a River, Diane Setterfield
    Hercule Poirot's Christmas, Agatha Christie

FC