New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
444 replies 35.3K views

Replies

• edited 16 January at 9:00PM
    belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 January at 9:00PM
    Going to start A Keeper tonight, Graham Norton's second novel. The first, Holding, was excellent.

Ooh this is in my book pile, I bought it for a friend and then liked the look of it and kept it :o but didn’t get around to reading it yet.

I always worry that the chic-lit thing is just a way of putting down books written by women for women. E.g. I just read a Marian Keyes last year thinking it would be a light summer read based on that kind of chic-lit image. Also I follow her on Twitter and she’s so funny. But oh boy was it a mis-sell. Actually very serious topics tackled and very well written I thought. Of course there are some terrible books as well!

• elsienelsien Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished Grace, by Paul Lynch.
    It's set on the Irish famine and has the heroine going through more than her fair share of trials and tribulations but I found it very readable. As much a coming of age book as anything else.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    dolly84 wrote: »
    It is a serious subject, it's about a quadriplegic wanting to end his life in Switzerland, brave topic I suppose but I didn't love it. I borrowed it from the library along with the sequel but I am returning both without reading the sequel.

In fairness I felt the two sequels were a natural follow ons and not forced like most ...but I guess if the first one didn't float your boat then the sequels certainly won't. :rotfl:

Just started My Lovely Wife....another R&J book club choice. Hasn't gripped me yet but will give it a few more nights read.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Oh could I join? I’ve set myself a target of 100 books in 2020 partly as a way to reduce social media time and reducing my book mountain. And partly cos I’m not finding engaging with the real world overly rewarding at the minute. So far I’m 9 in, but that’s cos I didn’t go back to work til the 8th and cos the weather has been so awful.

If you want a light read to bring up your numbers, Me by Elton John was really fun.

I too am not a great lover of his music ,but having seen the film I look forward to reading the book. The film is just amazing and how he is still alive God knows
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    JackieO wrote: »
    I too am not a great lover of his music ,but having seen the film I look forward to reading the book. The film is just amazing and how he is still alive God knows

Ooh I actually have a copy of the film but haven’t got around to watching it. We can try it each way and see which is best :)

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh I actually have a copy of the film but haven’t got around to watching it. We can try it each way and see which is best :)
    Brace yourself, I heard that his mum was horrid to him.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Brace yourself, I heard that his mum was horrid to him.

She was certainly bad enough in the book!

• edited 18 January at 9:04PM
    belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 January at 9:04PM
    Just watched Rocket Man and I really enjoyed it. The opening was just fantastic and i thought that it did a good job of being faithful to the book without being slavish to it.

By the way his mum was way worse in the book! You should see how she behaved over his wedding to David Furnish.

• VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Book 2:

51pHjoGBe2L._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    7/10. I picked this up last year thinking it would be insightful and a quick read. I was right on the first point, but so very wrong on the second!! It took me far longer to read than I expected because my knowledge of US politics is so patchy. To get the best out of the book and understand the context of all the statements made, I had to keep putting it down and catching up on history. This book was written just before he was elected president, and something of an unknown quantity at the time. Although overall my opinion of Obama has heightened (I liked him anyway) I don't agree with some of his voting decisions. What hasn't changed is my opinion if US politics: extremely dirty and full of nasty people. And the electorate is just on another planet - confirmed when I saw the footage of pro-gun protesters in Virginia this evening. Overall, I'm grateful to live here and not the US.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • betasambetasam Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Thank you for all the recommendations - my wish list has expanded yet again!

4. The Devil's Apprentice by Edward Marston; I haven't read any of his Nicholas Bracewell Mysteries before but really enjoyed this one. Murder mystery set in Elizabethan England.

Still reading The Secret Barrister's book, which several of my colleagues have added to their wish lists following a tearoom discussion, and have read a couple of pages of The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.