New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
270 replies 24K views

Replies

• ElishebaElisheba Forumite
    257 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I was reading To War with the Walkers by Annabel Venning, but the library loan ran out and it had been requested so I couldn't renew it. So annoying! It was very good.
    I'm also reading the most recent Percy Jackson book, think it's the 3rd in the Apollo trials series, and a Cassandra Clare book I bought recently on a Kindle deal before my 2020 self imposed moritorium on book buying.
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Debt: Feb 2020: £20435.57/£21,510.17
    Total Reduction: £1074.60. Debt free date: Jan 2024. Stretch debt free date: Jan 2023
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    388 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion is a read from 2019 but I'll sneak it in here as it's very good. A genetics professor develops a questionnaire to find his perfect woman. Some laugh out loud moments but also poignant in places.
    I also loved 3 Things about Elsie and Vanilla Slices. I enjoyed Elizabeth is Missing as well. The BBC dramatisation was good but inevitably it couldn't capture the subtle, slower developments in the book.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    22.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed The Secret Barrister.

Will be on child care duty in the USA at the end if the month, so I'll need a well-loaded kindle. The weather will be cold!

That's on my list.
    This year's unputdownable so far was "The silence of the girls" by Pat Barker. Siege of Troy from the perspective of the captured women, which sounds a bit lethal but it wasn't a war book as such. Can definitely recommend.

The Rosie Project has a sequel which I didn't find quite as good but wasn't bad.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • PollyflindersPollyflinders Forumite
    235 posts
    ✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    That's on my list.
    This year's unputdownable so far was "The silence of the girls" by Pat Barker. Siege of Troy from the perspective of the captured women, which sounds a bit lethal but it wasn't a war book as such. Can definitely recommend.

The Rosie Project has a sequel which I didn't find quite as good but wasn't bad.

Oh, yes, the whole of my book group loved The Silence of the Girls.

It was engrossing and brought the Trojan wars to life in a new way.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse PPR
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackcats wrote: »
    I enjoyed Elizabeth is Missing as well. The BBC dramatisation was good but inevitably it couldn't capture the subtle, slower developments in the book.
    It didn't, but they couldn't have cast better than Glenda Jackson. She was incredible, I thought this was an award winning performance.

Finished my first book of the year, 8/10:
    51kbzD7ElWL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I can't explain why I like it, there is something really nice about the author's observational style and it's either the kind of book that will bore you, or the kind you don't want to end! For that reason I read it slowly. He's the thinking reader's Maeve Binchy (which I'm not sure he would see a compliment!).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello. I'm hoping for less social media time and more kindle time this year. Will be back soon to share my first read of the year :)

• WraithladyWraithlady Forumite
    194 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    Just finished 'Doing Time' by Jodie Taylor. It's an offshoot of her 'Chronicles of St Mary's ' which I am a huge fan of.

It appeals to the sci-fi nerd in me.
  • RicardaRacoonRicardaRacoon Forumite
    345 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    hello everyone

I think I have to put Three things about Elsie on my wishlist too, I almost bought it a while ago...

I plan on reading 52 books again this year, narrowly managed it in 2019 by reading two very short books in December to reach my goal.I got 3 books for Christmas plus money to buy more books and had a gift card that was expiring, so I now basically have everything from my wishlist....

I got the three Sarah Waters novels I don't yet have, Fingersmith, Tipping the velvet and Affinity. Then I ordered Calling Mayor Tom by David M. Barnet, Fighting Fit by Laura Dawes, Alice in Wonderland, The prime of MIss Jane Brodie and The Last Telegram by Liz Trenow. So that will keep me busy for a while, along with all my other unread books...

1. a German book about a Polish girl whom the Nazis took from her family and gave to a German couple for adoption because she looked Aryan...

2. The night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    Very nice fantasy novel, took me a while to read with all the jumps back and forth in time, but eventually you get the hang of it and the story starts to make sense.

3. The last of our kind - Adelaide de Clermont-Tonnerre
    Am not yet that far and almost put it down again because the first two pages were rubbish (it was really the sort of thing you get as a "how not to" example when learning how to write a first chapter) but I think it has potential...
    Resolution for 2020 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    Fashion on the Ration: 0/66 coupons used
  • betasambetasam Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    3. Maurice by EM Forster. It has taken me a year to finish this book. I think it is the fourth Forster novel that I have read and I didn't like any of them! I didn't like the protagonist in this one. I shall put Forster in the 'not for me' pile.

Currently reading The Secret Barrister ( this is our 'book at bedtime' so progress will be slow as it is being read aloud) and The Devil's Apprentice by Edward Marston.
  • edited 16 January at 2:28PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 16 January at 2:28PM
    betasam wrote: »
    Hi! I am aiming to read 52 books this year to try and reduce the mountain of unread books in the house

Sam

What a good idea I have a book club book every month and january's was a Legacy of Spies by John Le Carre, I personally enjoyed it ,but then I like most of his books anyway I read one book from my stash The Love Letter which was quite interesting and just read another book calle Humber Boy B, by Ruth Dugdall, which I only got on Monday from the library and finished last night ,pretty good book and gave different perspectives on the story from all the characters involved so three books read so far this year two library ones, and one of my own from my stash I usually wait until I have a good bagful then pass them on to a local old folks home (well I am an old folk :))or to the local hospital for resale.I am going to try library book, then own book, in turn this way my stash will reduce (hopefully). I am moving in two years so I must try to reduce the amount of books indoors.

JackieO xx