New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
274 replies 24.2K views

Replies

• FridayschildFridayschild Forumite
    83 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I am miffed that the Thousand Ships book recommended earlier is not available in my library (or any in the county).

Elsien I think you can order it through SELMS which is an inter library loan scheme which operates across counties. Not sure if you can do it online but your local library should be able to organise it for you. I've used it in the past for study books but it should work for any book loan.
  • RicardaRacoonRicardaRacoon Forumite
    345 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    The last of us turned out to be a really good book, had to read about 300 pages last Sunday, could not stop...

4. The Hiding Game - Naomi Wood
    It was ok. Most of the book didn't had much of a plot, but kind of caught the time spirit of the 1920ies quite well.

5. The last Telegram - Liz Trenow
    The book was on my wishlist for ages and rightly so. So far it makes for a really good read and the overall vibe and language reminds me a lot of my favourite book, The novel in the viola by Natasha Solomon.
    Resolution for 2020 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    Fashion on the Ration: 0/66 coupons used
  • edited 26 January at 10:28PM
    VfM4meplseVfM4meplse PPR
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 January at 10:28PM
    Just a quick post about one of the best books I read last year, 8/10:

image.jpg

I don't think the author is a brilliant writer, but the (true) story is compelling.

I am miffed that the Thousand Ships book recommended earlier is not available in my library (or any in the county).

Elsien I think you can order it through SELMS which is an inter library loan scheme which operates across counties. Not sure if you can do it online but your local library should be able to organise it for you. I've used it in the past for study books but it should work for any book loan.
    Doesn't SELMS cost £3 (or similar) a pop? I have never wanted to borrow anything that much, esp as I know that if I keep my eyes peeled I will find it in a chazzer...eventually.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PollyflindersPollyflinders Forumite
    235 posts
    ✭✭
    Now that our library service has been sort of privatised, a non-profit association, we can borrow books from right across North Wales. Our book group pack often includes copies from Conwy and Bangor!

Interesting to read so many references to Kate Mosse's books; I can't get on with her at all.
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh mind if I join? I have been deep in research for 4 years but will emerge from the darkness this year... Am trying to increase my reading anyway...

This year I've read

1. The return - Victoria Hislop. I liked it, not as much as The Island but it was an easy light read. Just right for holiday reading and as someone who wanted something extremely light.
    2. The things we left unsaid - Emma Kennedy. As above but even lighter. I read it in a few hours.
    3. Matt Haig - the Humans. A lovely little book. Again, I read in a few hours on the plane home.

Am now reading

1. How to be right - James O'Brien. You have to like his style to read it.. (this one's kindle on my phone, so is read when waiting for something or on a short train journey)
    2. Notes On a Nervous Planet - Matt Haig (I love Matt Haig, How to stop time is one of my favourite books ever). This I started on holiday but haven't finished.

I was reading Kate Atkinson - Human Croquet. I usually like Kate Atkinson but have given up with this...

ALso reading "becoming" - Michelle Obama. THis is my bedside table book, but I've stalled. Though I was liking it...

I didn't like "me before you" though I read every word. I hated the outcome. I have the sequel but may not bother...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • SSD92SSD92 Forumite
    37 posts
    10 Posts
    I've always loved reading but I am so easily distracted by other things as an adult that reading has unfortunately not been my go-to like it was. Hoping to change that this year. I set myself a goal of a book a month, which should be achievable.

So far this year I've read 'If You Could Go Anywhere' by Paige Toon, it was very average and 'The Man Who Didn't Call' by Rosie Walsh which was a good read. I'm close to finishing 'The Subtle Knife' by Philip Pullman' which I'm enjoying.

I go through phases where I buy a lot of books, but I'm really trying to save money this year so I've joined the library which will be a great help. Save money and space! So I've got my next 2 reads lined up already.
  • SSD92SSD92 Forumite
    37 posts
    10 Posts
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Just a quick post about one of the best books I read last year, 8/10:

image.jpg

I don't think the author is a brilliant writer, but the (true) story is compelling.

I agree, her writing style isn't great but I did love this book last year. Have you read 'Cilka's Journey'? Just as good, if not better. I got it for Christmas and read it in a couple of days.
  • FridayschildFridayschild Forumite
    83 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Doesn't SELMS cost £3 (or similar) a pop? I have never wanted to borrow anything that much, esp as I know that if I keep my eyes peeled I will find it in a chazzer...eventually.[/QUOTE]

Oh you might be right there! I used SELMS with a student library card hence it being free, and didn't realise that it costs on a normal card. Good idea to look around the chazzers, most books appear eventually and should be less than £3.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse PPR
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Book 4:

41NdoxAktIL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6/10. A very quick read - I took 1/2hr out this lunchtime - and an interesting one, if you keep an open mind (because some of it is very fanciful thinking). I can see how Zen Japanese culture must have influenced Marie Kondo's thinking, as there are some very OS tips within it - BUT there is no way I'm going to spend every waking hour of my time cleaning!! (In rejecting a task I often deploy: "God did not put me on this planet to clean the house / cook dinner / be a secretary....." etc, you get the gist). I was very impressed by how meticulous the Zen monks are in their bathroom habits, I think this is something we could definitely learn from!! One for OSers to flick through.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • ziggy2407ziggy2407 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ziggy2407 wrote: »
    What a fab thread - can I join please?

I love reading and discovering new authors, last year I set myself a target of 52 books and actually read 62, so this years target is set at 60. I particularly love crime and thrillers, my favourite author is James Patterson. I have a bookcase groaning in my attic but tend to have a few books on order from the library and have also set myself the challenge this year that I WILL NOT buy any books at all.

So far this year I've read:
    No Other Darkness - Sarah Hilary
    Tastes Like Fear - Sarah Hilary
    The Stranger Diaries - Elly Griffiths
    Quieter Than Killing - Sarah Hilary

Currently reading
    The Casual Vacancy - J K Rowling

Over the last year I've noticed that once I've found an author I enjoy I like to read all their books in order :o - does that make me weird?

Have caught up on the thread and already added to my library wishlist - so please keep on inspiring.

Just a little update

Was struggling a little with "The Casual Vacancy" but persevered and finished it and it was …. OK, having read the "Strike" novels will be interesting to see if anything new is developing. Currently reading "Come and Find Me" by Sarah Hilary and loving it, hoping to have it finished today so I can return 2 books to the library and collect 3 more on order.

No temptation to buy any books yet but did stroke a few book covers in "Smiths" the other day :rotfl:

Happy reading everyone

Money made in 2018 £1556.43 Money made in 2019 £1071.99